Ladies Only - What are you Carrying and How?

I'd go with whichever is most comfortable. Either will do the job just fine.

Try that Milt Sparks out. That should be a great holster. If you wear a loose shirt and don't tuck, a OWB might be more comfortable, especially in the warmer weather. Watch out for sweat on your gun. Nothing will rust one faster.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Daelith

I'm carrying a Kel-Tec P32 in a Tagua Holster. I can either clip it or run my belt through it so I can wear it IWB or OWB.

My home protection gun is a Ruger KP95. Hubby got me XS Sights for it for anniversary present since I practice with it at the range. It's also the one I use to take classes. Though it's a bit too large for my hand, I prefer it for any extensive shooting over the Kel-Tec.

I'm on the hunt for a subcompact. I was going to try the Springfield at Range USA last night but it's out of commission. Loved shooting the XD they have but again it's too big for me to carry.

Welcome to TGO Daelith! :)

Those little KelTecs sure are a pleasure to carry, aren't they? I was sceptical of them for a long time, but I finally got a P11 and it completely changed my way of thinking! I'm missing it right now though.....I sent my slide off to be recoated. It was already starting to rust from perspiration.

So you're looking for a subcompact? I have a Glock 27 (sub compact .40), but ever since I got that KelTec P11 I've been favoring it for carry over the Glock. It's lighter, thinner, and has just as much firepower. Other than the cheap finish on the slide they're great guns!

I've heard nothing but good about the Springfields too, but have you checked out the S&W M&P in a sub compact? A lot of women like those because of the interchangeable backstraps which make it easier to custom fit your grip.....plus they're great guns as well.

Let us know which one you end up getting!

Guest Daelith

Thank you PackinMama!

I have enjoyed me little Kel-Tec though you really can't practice with them very long or your finger starts to hurt. I ran almost 50 rounds through it when I first got it and my trigger finger hurt for three days. I was telling a couple of the employees at my range about it and the expression on their faces was priceless. One said he couldn't have done more than five rounds before quitting.

I've tried the Glock 27 and one other size (can't remember) and really didn't care for either. After firing the recoil made it felt like someone had hit the gun with a crowbar. Not so much of a kick really but I could feel it through my arm and shoulder for a second or two afterward.

I think that S&W M&P is another one DH wants me to try. Funny thing is, he really needs to try it too. He's yet to find a carry gun for himself that he's really happy with.

I will definitely let you know when I get something else.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Daelith
I know I am a little late on this one, but I carry a Springfield XD 9 Subcompact in a Blackhack leather IWB holser.

I'm envious. I have been wanting to try one of the Springfield Subcompacts for a while now.

Guest Kntutor
I'm envious. I have been wanting to try one of the Springfield Subcompacts for a while now.

My brother helped me pick it out. Alot of the guns I tried were too big for my hands, but this one fit perfectly. I am Capbyrd's sister(the one that was at the range Saturday). Maybe sometime I can meet you up at the range so you can try it out.

Guest Angel 24/7

I love my S&W M&P9. My first gun was a Tauras 24/7 9mm. I sold it for my Smith. I made a great choice.

I shot a clip through my kel-tec and I called it quits. I was soar. I also love that I can put it in my pocket and no one knows but me.

My xdshooter carries a Sprinfield XD 9. He likes it better than my Smith, but he does give it good review.

Guest Daelith
My brother helped me pick it out. Alot of the guns I tried were too big for my hands, but this one fit perfectly. I am Capbyrd's sister(the one that was at the range Saturday). Maybe sometime I can meet you up at the range so you can try it out.

That would be great! We were a little pressed for time Saturday so we went off and got a lane before everyone else and left early. Didn't really get a chance to mossy around to see what everyone else had.

I love my S&W M&P9. My first gun was a Tauras 24/7 9mm. I sold it for my Smith. I made a great choice.

I shot a clip through my kel-tec and I called it quits. I was soar. I also love that I can put it in my pocket and no one knows but me. I can sympathize

My xdshooter carries a Sprinfield XD 9. He likes it better than my Smith, but he does give it good review.

I'm not sure if that's the S&W hubby has mentioned a few times. Probably is. He likes both the S&W and the Springfield. I can sympathize with the sore finger after shooting the Kel-Tec. I still like my despite that though. Just a great size carry for me. Edited by Daelith
Guest Kntutor
That would be great! We were a little pressed for time Saturday so we went off and got a lane before everyone else and left early. Didn't really get a chance to mossy around to see what everyone else had.

We didnt stick around to shoot. We had a pretty busy day as well.

• 3 weeks later...
I carry a Sig P229 .40 cal in a leather fanny pack.

Welcome to TGO AuBadge! :)

I use a fanny pack a lot in the summer. I don't (won't) carry a purse, so the fanny pack is nice to carry my wallet, cell phone, & keys in as well as my gun. I had my purse stolen a few years ago with my gun in it and I haven't carried my gun in a purse (or a purse period) since. My gun is always on my person. I also like belly bands for carry around the house or ultra deep concealment......very comfy.

Guest friesepferd

Gun:

- Kimber Ultra Aegis II (9mm 3" 1911)

Holsters:

- CTAC @ ~2:30-3:00 (edc)

- smartcarry (church, etc)

- safepacker (woods, sometimes around house, etc)

Ammo:

- Gold Dot HP +P Short Barrel (carry)

- reloads - currently power pistol & berrys mfg bullets (range)

I have every intention to get around to taking some pics of my setups one of these days and write a nice long 'how i cc as a skinny gal' post.

Gun:

- Kimber Ultra Aegis II (9mm 3" 1911)

Holsters:

- CTAC @ ~2:30-3:00 (edc)

- smartcarry (church, etc)

- safepacker (woods, sometimes around house, etc)

Ammo:

- Gold Dot HP +P Short Barrel (carry)

- reloads - currently power pistol & berrys mfg bullets (range)

I have every intention to get around to taking some pics of my setups one of these days and write a nice long 'how i cc as a skinny gal' post.

Welcome to TGO! :) I'd LOVE to see a pic of your Kimber! I have a Springfield EMP in 9mm. I was told by Springfield to never carry +p loads in it because of the short cycle of the 3" barrel. I wonder if those Gold Dot Short Barrel loads would work for the EMP? I've heard of short barrel loads but I always thought they were meant for snubbies for some reason.

Guest friesepferd

the aegis is my avatar. like i said, ill try and get around to posting more pics later.

the gold dot short barrel is find in the emp. they are generally recommended for 3.5" and under, but can be shot through any gun. its just a little faster burning powder to reduce muzzle flash and get your velocity up there before it leaves the barrel.

Guest SigGrl

Question for you ladies out there. I'm trying to come up with a way to carry, while I go on my runs. I REALLY, REALLY enjoy night runs around 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. I really feel like I should be carrying, while I'm out there running alone after dark. I was wondering, if you guys think a belly band would work for this? Would it be stable enough to stay put with the motion of running and not slip?

I've thought about a fanny pack, but I hate anything constricting on my runs. Of course, conventional carry is out, since running shorts don't have belt loops or the fabric strength to do the job. Any suggestions?

I carry a Taurus Slim, so it's pretty compact. Hubby also has the smaller Taurus TCP that I could carry, if that would work better. Suggestions?

Guest Jamie

Okay... feeling a little like I just walked into the Ladies Restroom here, but given that none of us are likely gonna see anything we haven't seen before, and there were a couple of comments I actually can address/answer, I'll speak my piece and skeedaddle. :blush:

She also has optic nerve damage and she is unable to close one eye when aiming.

Cajun, everybody should be shooting with both eyes open anyway, so not being able to close one of 'em isn't really a handicap for your daughter.

A person's vision does some strange things under the stress of a violent encounter any way, so cutting it in half from the get-go really isn't a good idea.

Train to keep both your eyes open, folks, and line the sights up with your dominant eye.

By doing that, you'll have a much better field of view, even when the tunnel vision sets in due to the adrenalin being dumped into your system due to stress.

However, I have to ask......why would you have to preload rounds into clips on a 9mm revolver? Am I missing something or did you think I was talking about a 9mm semi-auto? Do the 9mm revolvers load differently than any other revolver? :confused:

The "full moon", "half moon" clips that most 9mm revolvers uses are only needed to give the ejector something to grab and extract the cases. The cartridges will load and fire just fine individually without them, but will have to be picked back out one at a time, or poked out with a ramrod of some kind.

Smith & Wesson used to make a 9mm revolver that had a very complicated extractor that would eject the rimless cases without the use of clips, but they haven't been made in years, and are hard to find, from what I hear.

BTW... a 9mm cartridge spaces on the case mouth, not the rim. It's also tapered. So it won't any more fall through the cylinder of a revolver that's chambered for it than it would slide through chamber and barrel of a 9mm auto.

J.

Edited by Jamie
Question for you ladies out there. I'm trying to come up with a way to carry, while I go on my runs. I REALLY, REALLY enjoy night runs around 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. I really feel like I should be carrying, while I'm out there running alone after dark. I was wondering, if you guys think a belly band would work for this? Would it be stable enough to stay put with the motion of running and not slip?

I've thought about a fanny pack, but I hate anything constricting on my runs. Of course, conventional carry is out, since running shorts don't have belt loops or the fabric strength to do the job. Any suggestions?

I carry a Taurus Slim, so it's pretty compact. Hubby also has the smaller Taurus TCP that I could carry, if that would work better. Suggestions?

Sorry it's taken me a while to respond.......I was out of town without internet for a few days.

A belly band is exactly what you need for your runs. I would get one with a strap that goes over your gun though. They don't really need a strap most of the time.....but I recommend one for when you're doing any kind of physical activity. Mine came without one and I just bought some sew on velcro straps and made one for it. I could do anything with it on and my gun will not move. The worst part about them is that they will get wet with perspiration....especially when you're exercising or working in the heat.

The 4" bands are the most comfortable. Anything wider and it just makes it hotter. However, you need a lightweight gun for a 4" band. Anything over about 15 oz. empty will sag. If you need a band for a heavier gun, then you have to go wider. In your case, the slim would probably be ok.....but the TCP would be better with a 4" band.

I'm planning on getting some 4" elastic banding and making some of my own bands. That way, I can make them exactly how I want them. Now I just need to learn to sew better! B)

Hope this helps! ;)

Guest BabyJeepWoman

I have a Ruger LCR that I usually carry in an ankle holster although I think that will be changing since I am now carrying my Kahr CW40 in a Kholster IWB in the 4-5 o'clock position and find it quite comfortable. I have worn it with shorts, jeans and even skirts--as long as there are belt loops. I usually do not tuck my shirt in, but with the Kholser it is an option. I do have a CC purse, but it only gets used as a last resort.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Countrygirl

I am new to the site, and thought I would share..I carry a S&W .38 Special 642 Model. I am also new to carrying. I have had my HCP for about 2 weeks. I have a paddle holster and am not totally comfortable with it. I would like something else but, am not sure of what it would be. I have carried it in my purse and do not like that for a couple reasons; the ability to get to it and the idea of it getting beat up in there.

Guest KimberChick

Please do. Once I get my IWB holster I'll join you, lol.

I'm going to go from a Jit slide/Glock 26 (i.e. "It's an insulin pump.") to IWB/Kimber Pro Carry II. It will allow me to wear any pair of jeans I own and still CC so long as I wear a looser-fitting shirt. The 26 is like trying to shove a brick in my pants, lol.

Countrygirl, First off, Welcome to TGO and congrats on getting your HCP!

Paddles holsters, IMO, are really uncomfortable and don't hide your gun very well either. My suggestion to you would be to get a good IWB (in waistband) holster. (I'm assuming that you wear a belt since you have a paddle holster right now.)

A few that you might want to consider, and that are very popular, would be the Crossbreed Supertuck, Kholster, & M-TAC. These are all depth/cant adjustable leather/kydex hybrids that are all very comfortable and would be far superior to your paddle holster. Another option for you would be to go with all leather. A couple custom leather holsters that are really nice are the K&D Holster Thunderbird Defender and the D.M. Bullard Dual Carry. These are both IWB and depth/cant adjustable as well.

Hope this helps! Let us know what holster you end up with! :D

Guest friesepferd

+1 for paddle holsters being the suck

get a nice IWB to start off with and see how that works. I suggest the MTAC.

If that is still hard to conceal, take a look at getting a smartcarry. I dont use it as my every day setup, but it works great for a church type setting a cloths

Guest Buzz87

I carry a Beretta PX4 Storm .45 full sized in a nylon iwb holster mostly in the small of my back, sometimes in front,almost straight in the front iwb.. I sometimes carry my FNH P-9 the same way. It seems the key for me is a belt and looser fitting t-shirt or blouse.