Ladies Only - What are you Carrying and How?

I carry a Beretta PX4 Storm .45 full sized in a nylon iwb holster mostly in the small of my back, sometimes in front,almost straight in the front iwb.. I sometimes carry my FNH P-9 the same way. It seems the key for me is a belt and looser fitting t-shirt or blouse.

Many women find that carrying in the 1-2 o'clock position works best for comfort and concealment. This is called "Appendix Carry."

You're right on the money about the belt and looser fitting shirt too! I never wore a belt until a few years ago. I decided that changing my dress to accomodate my gun was much easier than getting my purse stolen with my gun inside of it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest friesepferd

never tried it, but i cant see a theigh holster working for anything but a very very small gun.

I really really... REALLY dont wear a dress/skirt very often.

never tried it, but i cant see a theigh holster working for anything but a very very small gun.

I really really... REALLY dont wear a dress/skirt very often.

I'm with you there. Like a P3AT or LCP. Maybe a Smart Carry rig would work?

Guest TnRebel

TnBelle ( My better half ) carry's Kel-tec P3AT in one of these and wouldn't leave the house with out it,

A Galco Thigh Band Holster

1072yz8.jpg

Guest TnRebel

She don't wear dresses ever, she wears pleated slacks and shorts , and she hasn't shaved her legs in over 15 years her and I are in our 60's LOL

And she wouldn't let me take a picture of her thighs

Edited by TnRebel
to add P/S
Guest KimberChick

Welp, I ordered a Mitch Rosen ARG last week. They ballparked me 12 weeks(eek!) due to backlog caused by a move but I'm hoping that was cushioned rather liberally. At any rate, I'm planning on trying it with as many clothing options as possible from the usual jeans/shirt option to something a little less conventional. Pics will be attached.

• 3 months later...

I am carrying a Pk 380 and with a Fobus paddle holster. Love it! The holster is comfortable but it doesnt allow me to completely conceal because of the size of gun and holster. That issue just doesnt bother me though!

Question for you ladies out there. I'm trying to come up with a way to carry, while I go on my runs. I REALLY, REALLY enjoy night runs around 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. I really feel like I should be carrying, while I'm out there running alone after dark. I was wondering, if you guys think a belly band would work for this? Would it be stable enough to stay put with the motion of running and not slip?

I'm not a female, but the wife is-LOL....anyway,when we go running, we use the SMARTCARRY holster and have had very good results with it. Another option to think about.

• 1 month later...
Guest SCarman

Hi guys,

Reporting in fashionably late...I carry a Walther PPS .40 cal with Tague inside pants holster. I've had no problems with concealment at work or office. I don't like the idea of carrying it in my purse because from experience if someone isn't grabbing for you, they are grabbing at your purse. I want my gun in my control always -on my person.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Southern_girl

I am waiting on my HGP I already have a sig sauger pro 9mm that I have had for several years But am thinking it might be to big to carry and be comfortable. Since I am waiting on my permit I thought this would be a great time to figure out how to carry this, or should I be looking for somthing smaller however I do love it and fits my hand perfect and can shoot it very well. Any sugestions would be greatly appriciated. I don't really like the idea of carrying a purse

I am waiting on my HGP I already have a sig sauger pro 9mm that I have had for several years But am thinking it might be to big to carry and be comfortable. Since I am waiting on my permit I thought this would be a great time to figure out how to carry this, or should I be looking for somthing smaller however I do love it and fits my hand perfect and can shoot it very well. Any sugestions would be greatly appriciated. I don't really like the idea of carrying a purse

Carrying your Sig concealed and comfortably would depend on a couple things. First, your size and build. Second, your typical fashion and clothing choice.

If your real small, it would be hard to conceal this size gun on your person. You will need to be on the average to large size to pull that off I would think.

Clothing choice is the next deciding factor. If you can wear jeans with a belt or even slacks or dress pants with a loose fitting top, there are a couple options that I could recommend. If you wear a dress or skirt regularly, the Sig would be pretty hard to carry on your body IMO.

With jeans and a belt, I'd go with a good IWB holster like the Crossbreed Supertuck. You can't hardly find a better and more comfortable holster than the Supertuck. Some people also like the M-Tac's but I've tried both and personally prefer the Crossbreed. It's depth and cant adjustable and super comfy. The one thing to remember if you want to carry on a belt is to be sure to buy a good gun belt. A belt that is made for carrying a gun is much thicker than a regular dress belt and it will support the weight of the gun without sagging. Just search on here for "gun belt" and you will find some great recommendations.

If you wear pants without belt loops, there are a couple other decent options out there. A Smart Carry or a belly band would work very well to wear under the pants.

If you're not comfortable carrying your Sig on your body then I definitely wouldn't hesitate to look for something smaller that you will be able to conceal and carry in comfort. Even a .380 on your person would be better than the Sig in your purse! :D

Hope this helps! :)

My wife carries a S&W K-frame 2.5" revolver in a purse specifically designed for weapon carry, made by this company: GUN TOTE'N MAMAS - Concealed Carry Handbags by Gun Tote'n Mamas. It has a long shoulder strap reinforced with a slash-proof steel cable. She carries it with the strap across her body rather than hanging from one shoulder, and the handgun compartment has separate side zippers so she can basically walk along with the gun in her hand and yet still concealed.

Perhaps not as ideal as on-body carry in a concealment holster but the size of the gun makes that difficult and she really likes that gun.

My wife carries a S&W K-frame 2.5" revolver in a purse specifically designed for weapon carry, made by this company: GUN TOTE'N MAMAS - Concealed Carry Handbags by Gun Tote'n Mamas. It has a long shoulder strap reinforced with a slash-proof steel cable. She carries it with the strap across her body rather than hanging from one shoulder, and the handgun compartment has separate side zippers so she can basically walk along with the gun in her hand and yet still concealed.

Perhaps not as ideal as on-body carry in a concealment holster but the size of the gun makes that difficult and she really likes that gun.

From another woman's perpective.....

I would never recommend purse carry to anyone - and I know from experience that this is not a good idea at all. Think about it....when a bad guy assualts a woman, it can go several ways, but 99% of the time, it is a surprise and it happens FAST. If a woman has her gun in her purse and a typical assault and/or mugging happens, she is not going to have the time to reach the gun or (in most cases) the physical strength to overpower her attacker to get to the gun. If the gun is on her person though, she can reach it quickly whether she is grabbed from behind or in front, and even if she is being held it would be possible to get to a gun on her belt (especially if it is carried "appendix carry style" at the 1-2 o'clock position). Much more possible than trying to get to the gun in her purse, which the attacker could have already ripped off her.

If purse carry is the ONLY option, then by all means it is better than nothing at all. However, there are many, many more options for carrying on your person that would be a thousand times better.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a new two-tone Bersa Thunder 380 two weeks ago. Using an IWB holster with it currently. Its very light and small enough to hide unless I'm wearing stretchy jeans then it tries to print so I just wear a longer looser shirt.

• 1 month later...

My goodness! Let me say that it has been a long while for me! Life & family had me running every which way, I guess...I am now trying to reign it all in and have some "me" time in all the craziness, LOL...it is so good to step in here and see some familiar names, as well as new names~shows that we are growing as female gun owners/shooters...

I used to carry a FEG .380 but have since retired it for a Taurus .38 snub. I have other .380's but feel more comfortable carrying my revolver. I have a belly band that I tried but the issue with that was that it moved up and became uncomfortable for me to wear for more than an hour or so. Tucking it in my pants or tightening it only made me more uncomfortable. I have found that carrying it toward the front with an in the pants holster works best for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marionrose

Well I have a few guns. I just ordered the Kimber Solo 9mm but I am not to happy with it. It jammed and jammed and failed to eject, blah, blah, blah-I have a Sig Sauer P239 and I think it is pretty awesome. I took a lesson with a guy who had a Smith and Wesson M & P with XS Sights that they call "big dot". I just loved it! I really felt like I was shooting. These 50 + eyes were so relieved. I also love my daughter's Walther P22.

I recently sent off my paperwork for my carry permit and have been looking for a carry gun. I went to CCA a couple weeks ago and rented a cz 75d (9mm) and didnt care for how it felt while shooting plus I had a very hard time seeing the three dot sights (not sure if the sights were dirty or it was CCA'S lighting since it was so poorly lit or my eyes are just shot)..next I tried a M & P 9mm and I really liked the feel of that shooting and I saw the sights much better. The M & P seemed to have a much different recoil than the cz, much more smoother and trigger was nicer.I was concerned though that the spent shells kept hitting me in the face and chest however on the M & P, and I realize its a range rental gun but have read on gun forums others have had problems with spent shell casings from it as well. Im currently looking at the sig p229 online but havent shot one or felt how it feels in my hand yet, plus the cost of the sig is slightly more than what I had budgeted for. Im glad to hear about those"big dot" sights!! Im sure when I decide on a carry gun that will be first in order to change out. I also have a walther P22 that I love to shoot. Im curious now to check out that sig P239. I really do not want to go any smaller in caliber for carry than a 9mm and a mid frame size instead of the sub compact because of the muzzle flip. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Edited by Squeezle
spelling error
  • 1 month later...
Guest adpayne79

I am new to this site and having my own gun. I have been with my husband lots of times and have shot. I go in two weeks to get my HGP. I went to a Gun Shop/ Range and tried a few guns before I purchased the gun I really liked. It's a Kahr cw9. This is all new to me. I am just now getting ajusted to having a gun to have with me at all times and with times getting as bad as they are I wanted to be protected . So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ( For holsters , tips, etc.)

Guest friesepferd
I am new to this site and having my own gun. I have been with my husband lots of times and have shot. I go in two weeks to get my HGP. I went to a Gun Shop/ Range and tried a few guns before I purchased the gun I really liked. It's a Kahr cw9. This is all new to me. I am just now getting ajusted to having a gun to have with me at all times and with times getting as bad as they are I wanted to be protected . So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ( For holsters , tips, etc.)

great to see a new gal on here! welcome.

if you havnt read every word on this website yet, you should: Cornered Cat

its a website for women who carry, by a woman that carries.

now for a few tips from me: dont carry in a purse. I can write a long essay on this if I need to, but I'll just say it. Purses get left behind and stolen. Not a good idea.

There are plenty of ways to carry on your purse thats pretty easy, especially with a small gun like a kahr.

You will want to try different things, and most likely you will want multiple options depending on what you are wearing.

The basic is the IWB (inside waste band) holster, which makes your gun sit between your skin and your pants. It can be possitioned anywhere you like around your waste- most people tend to do it at 2:30-4:00 (belly button being noon). Everyone likes different holsters, but I highly prefer a hybrid holster - half leather, half kydex. This keeps the bulk down, but puts the softer leather against your skin. The most popular of these is the MTAC and the supertuck, but there are cheaper options out there as well.

Another way to go is the smartcarry holster (you can look any of these up online). Many gals dont think it will work because girl pants ride higher in the crotch and are tighter, but it will work- you just need to wear the right pants. Any semi-loose fitting girl pats will be fine with it. I actually tend to buy guys pants (sooo much more comfy, more room for guns, and bigger pockets!). Anyways.. this holster carries the gun in the noon - 1:-00 position completely under the pants line- not as fast to get to, but very very concealed. Can also work with a dress, skirt, etc. No belt needed.

Another option I really like in the summer is this holster: Safepacker Concealed Carry Holster, Concealed Weapon Holster

Its kinda like a purse, but it is 100% attached to your belt- thus cant be left anywhere or stolen. I wear it in the summar a lot when I want to wear tighter clothes. I have had mulitple women comment on my "hip new purse". Thats what I call "hidden in plain sight"

So check on the cornered cat website for sure, and just look around and find the holster that works best for you. You may need to slightly change your dressing habits depending on what you wear now, but you can certainly dress fashionably while carrying still.

Other than that.. just lots and lots of practice with your gun. Make sure you know the laws, and be safe!