Ladies Only - What are you Carrying and How?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a robust athletic pear shaped plus size woman wondering if a belly band works for such figures, I wear scrubs allot need a rig that would work with them and similar clothing. Thanks gals

Full disclosure I'm not a woman. But there are a few factors to consider.

First is how tight do your scrubs fit. Concealment is all about clothing to body relationship. If the shirt fits close to the skin in the area the gun would be worn chances are it will be seen. The belly band is intended to be worn at the waist bellow bellybutton, however I have worn them up higher before with good success, however with a tougher draw.

Second is what gun are you gonna carry in the band? Heavier guns can be cumbersome in the band, where small, lightweight, or pocket size can be unnoticeable.

I think with scrubs your carrying choices are limited, so I would recommend trying the belly band. They are relatively inexpensive so it may be something you have to buy and try out.

I am not a fan of ankle holsters due the inibility to draw your weapon quickly. but if all else fails it may be better than nothing.

Hope this helps

mooneshinegrrl, I wear a belly band quite often and I'm also an active plus size woman. I mainly wear the belly band around my house and property and whenever I don't/can't wear a belt with an IWB rig. They are extremely useful and versatile. You can wear them low or high....even as high as right under your bra line. The worst part about them is that they are hot and if you perspire, your gun WILL get wet. This calls for a routine nightly wipedown of your weapon to remove the harmful salt from your perspiration.

A good finish on your gun that is very rust resistant helps too. I have a KelTec PF9 that is the hard chrome version and it resists rust very well. The only part so far that is getting rusty is the mag release (which I wish was plastic instead of metal) and one of the take down pins (seems like two are plastic and one is metal). Another gun I had that resists rust well was a light color Taurus Ultralight .38 snub. They turn a blackish color where exposed to perspiration (which doesn't hurt the integrity of the metal), but they do not rust. Both of these guns were perfect for belly band because they were both thin and very lightweight. Lightweight means a lot when using a belly band. If you put a gun that is too heavy in a band, it will tend to sag on you. A 4" band will support a gun that is less than around 18-20 oz. very well. Anything over that and you should go with a 5 or even 6" band....which are generally much less comfortable (much hotter!) than a 4".

One other thing to look for when shopping for a belly band is to look at the pocket configuration. I carry an extra mag in my band and I like the mag pocket to be on the opposite side of the gun pocket, rather than right next to it. It spreads the weight out better that way, making it less likely to sag. I found a seller on eBay that will make your band exactly to your specifications. If you want his name, send me a pm and I will get it for you. ;)

Hope that helps!!! :)

I have also been away from this forum for a while and wanted to check in. I cannot carry at work but I will while running to Kroger, Wally World, etc. I have a variety of choices and will usually carry in an owb holster on my belt. For those quick runs I grab either my .380 Beretta 84FS or Sphinx AT .380M. Sometimes I have just stuck the Sphinx in my pocket. I will also have my Beretta 92FS (9mm) or Beretta 8045F (45cal) if on the road. (I love my Beretta's. :))

Don't get me wrong I have shot and would really like to own a plethora of different brands but since I am not independently wealthy I have to pick and choose.

Edited by ~Emily~
  • 2 months later...
Guest Tiki Jane

I've been away for awhile too and need some help here. My Taurus PT 145 has been jamming of late. I can clear it pretty fast but am now looking at either replacing it or adding something else. I will consult a good gunsmith about tweaking it, but I've been looking at the S&W 642 (revolver). It's very promising and I watched a YouTube video with Hickok 45. It's lightweight, goes 'bang!' when you pull the trigger - such a deal! I've also been looking at the Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB and am impressed; again, YouTube reviewer "Lima" does a great demo with it. I really love the stopping power of the .45 and when my PT145 works, it's sweet, but I'm frustrated with it; it's hard for me to rack (I caught my finger in it during a cleaning/inspection yesterday) and even though it's smaller, it's heavy.

I miss my Roy Rogers cap pistol...

I've been away for awhile too and need some help here. My Taurus PT 145 has been jamming of late. I can clear it pretty fast but am now looking at either replacing it or adding something else. I will consult a good gunsmith about tweaking it, but I've been looking at the S&W 642 (revolver). It's very promising and I watched a YouTube video with Hickok 45. It's lightweight, goes 'bang!' when you pull the trigger - such a deal! I've also been looking at the Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB and am impressed; again, YouTube reviewer "Lima" does a great demo with it. I really love the stopping power of the .45 and when my PT145 works, it's sweet, but I'm frustrated with it; it's hard for me to rack (I caught my finger in it during a cleaning/inspection yesterday) and even though it's smaller, it's heavy.

I miss my Roy Rogers cap pistol...

The s&w are a good gun, a little hard with recoil and long triggers though, be sure to shoot one with REAL ammo before you buy it. They certainly won't jam easily and are well designed carry guns. I prefer a real 357 so I can choose the load for it rather than the 38s, but its a trade off on weight and size and all that. If you want "stopping power" (whatever that is), the 357 choices have more "physics" (this is something that can be measured exactly) than 38s and will shoot a 38 if you want to lighten up.

If you liked the taurus, and its been good for many rounds, get it looked at. Could just be worn magazines, esp if you drop them when you practice reloads, that can bang up the lips and cause all sorts of problems. Or if shot a LOT you could need new springs. If its a low round count troublemaker, trade it in.

It's hard to go wrong with a lightweight snubbie for dependability and easy carry. If you can afford it, I'd go for an S&W M&P Airweight .357. They're expensive, but if you like the "stopping power" of a .45, then a .357 would be right up your alley. Then, when you want to just target practice, you can shoot .38's to save some money. All the other .357 snubbies are quite a bit heavier than their .38 counterparts.

I love the Crossbreed Supertuck too. Definitely the best and most comfortable IWB holster imo. Great company too. I had one that I'd worn for about two years straight and the kydex cracked in the corner.....Crossbreed sent me a brand new one - no charge.

Before you trade or sell your Taurus, I would try replacing the springs in your mags with Wolffe extra power springs and might also have the feed ramp polished. Stock springs will weaken with time and use, which will cause jams.

Good luck! Let us know how things turn out! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kamikaze

My wife just joined the carry club this week. She picked out her new carry gun after shooting several different ones. I went and picked it up today to surprise her. Glock 33. Now she just needs to settle on a holster.

c6e4e1b0-43c6-e4d7.jpg

c6e4e1b0-43e5-1a5e.jpg

Guest JoySpice

Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum. I joined up shortly after Christmas. I am so happy that there are other ladies here.

So, to answer the question at hand.. My carry weapon is a Phoenix Arms .22 auto. And... ;) at the moment I do carry in my purse. It is in a pocket all its own. I don't like carrying in my purse and sometimes I do carry in my jeans pocket if they are loose enough. However, after reading all the posts in this thread, I have dug out two of my fanny packs. I'm gonna try this method. My hubby is handy with crafts and leatherwork and eventually he will make a holster for me.

Also, I read that alot of you here have KelTecs. I had a Kel Tec 9mm at one time. I did not like it after trying to shoot it. It hurt and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.. It also hurt my hubby and son. Soooo, I claimed my hubby's Ruger .45 auto and that is what I took my test with... :) He doesn't like for me to shoot his guns any more.. lol

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum. I joined up shortly after Christmas. I am so happy that there are other ladies here.

So, to answer the question at hand.. My carry weapon is a Phoenix Arms .22 auto. And... :D at the moment I do carry in my purse. It is in a pocket all its own. I don't like carrying in my purse and sometimes I do carry in my jeans pocket if they are loose enough. However, after reading all the posts in this thread, I have dug out two of my fanny packs. I'm gonna try this method. My hubby is handy with crafts and leatherwork and eventually he will make a holster for me.

Also, I read that alot of you here have KelTecs. I had a Kel Tec 9mm at one time. I did not like it after trying to shoot it. It hurt and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.. It also hurt my hubby and son. Soooo, I claimed my hubby's Ruger .45 auto and that is what I took my test with... :D He doesn't like for me to shoot his guns any more.. lol

Welcome to the forum, JoySpice :)

So, to answer the question at hand.. My carry weapon is a Phoenix Arms .22 auto. And... :( at the moment I do carry in my purse. It is in a pocket all its own. I don't like carrying in my purse and sometimes I do carry in my jeans pocket if they are loose enough. However, after reading all the posts in this thread, I have dug out two of my fanny packs. I'm gonna try this method. My hubby is handy with crafts and leatherwork and eventually he will make a holster for me.

Also, I read that alot of you here have KelTecs. I had a Kel Tec 9mm at one time. I did not like it after trying to shoot it. It hurt and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.. It also hurt my hubby and son. Soooo, I claimed my hubby's Ruger .45 auto and that is what I took my test with... :) He doesn't like for me to shoot his guns any more.. lol

Hi JoySpice! Welcome to TGO!!! :) Always good to have another female join us!

I'm glad to hear that you are planning to get that gun out of your purse and onto your body! ;) If you don't want to wait on your hubby to make you a holster (I know how that can be ;)), I highly recommend the Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB (In Waist Band) carry. They are the most comfortable holster I've ever worn....and I've tried my share I promise you. LOL

Guest JoySpice

Hello PackinMama.. Thanks for the welcome.. Where would I find on of those holsters.. Maybe Knoxville? I live in McMinn Co. I haven't seen any here close. And yea I know it can be a wait for my Hubby to make one... lol

welcome! I keep an eye on this thread because my wife does not read up and sometimes I see something to link at her. Anyway...

My wife keeps one of those carry purses but does not use it as much as she used to. Its a good thing to have, IMHO, as an alternative.

You may be better off ordering that holster online (get the exact model # and then google it). Most shops have a few holsters but not many, so it can be hard to locate the exact one you want by going door to door.

If you like pocket carry and find the kel tec trigger to be a bit much, I cannot recommend enough a sig p238. And they just added a 9mm version of the same thing, hits the stores in a couple of months. There are many other very small 380 and 9mm pistols as well, if you wanted an alternative to your .22 that will slip into a pocket. The kel-tec trigger is called "double action only" and I cannot shoot those either, too much spring for old hands. (That 45 is excellent, but it won't slip into a pocket! And its an excuse to get a new gun, which us guys are always looking for).

Edited by Jonnin
Guest 1911Girl

trading my M&P9 for a 1911 in .45, cant wait to start carrying it and shooting it! - Purses is not a option on my waist all day every day, then on my dresser all night every night!

Hello PackinMama.. Thanks for the welcome.. Where would I find on of those holsters.. Maybe Knoxville? I live in McMinn Co. I haven't seen any here close. And yea I know it can be a wait for my Hubby to make one... lol

You can buy one directly from their website here: SuperTuck Deluxe | Crossbreed Holsters - Super Tuck Deluxe

or you can search for one on ebay.....that's where I picked up my last one for my KelTec PF9 and didn't have to wait on it. It's kinda hit or miss on ebay to find one for your particular gun, but it's worth a shot. You might have to contact Crossbreed directly to see if they even make one for the Phoenix Arms .22.

I think the Sig P238 would be worth looking into for your purposes if you want an easier trigger pull than the KelTecs have.....P238's are pretty accurate at short distances too. If you don't mind something a tiny bit bigger.....the Springfield EMP in 9mm is an awesome choice. Very light and thin, with amazing accuracy and a great trigger.....a bit on the expensive side, but well worth it. You also might do well with a lightweight snubby in .38 or possibly the .327 mag. The .327 mag cartridge has superb "stopping power" and S&W makes a lightweight model that's a 6 shot (vs. 5 shots in the .38's). They say that the kick of the .327 mag is 20% less than a .38 and accuracy out of the snubby is excellent. You can get a snubby with an exposed hammer so that you can cock it for a very short and easy trigger pull.....but since it's SA (single action) or DA (double action), you can also just pull the trigger without cocking it (if your in a hurry ;)) :)

Guest JoySpice

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Jonnin.. lol Bud, My hubby and myself agree with "any excuse". I love it. I've been thinking about trying to get a lightweight .38. A girlfriend of mine has one as her carry weapon. That little thing is lighter than my lil .22.. I've seen those carry purses in magazines that we get. I like them and wouldn't mind having one. Yep, I've tried carrying my .45 but it is just too heavy to carry alot.

Packin Mama.. Thanks for the info.. I am wanting one of the light weight .38s. But I have not concidered a .327 mag. I'll check them out.

1911Girl.. Those are so nice.. You go girl..

DaddyO.. Thanks for checking that out..