CZ 527 vs Remington 799

SavageSig

I'm looking at both of these rifles because they're chambered, interestingly enough, in 7.62x39. Anyone have any opinions?

CZ 527

-Carbine Length

-Express sights

-Set trigger

-$650 or so

Remington 799

-Scope mounts only

-"mini-mauser" action

-$389

The 527 is calling my name, but it is quite expensive. I could also just give up on 7.62 and get a bolt in .223, which opens up a myriad of options. It just seems like plinking ammo is cheaper in 7.62 than .223 right now, and a 7.62 bolt gun is somewhat unique. What say ye?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinking about this type of purchase as well and would love to hear what owners of both rifles have to say. I would like the CZ as well but the price is a little much. Price wise, the Rem 799 would be a much better purchase.

From my research, most say the CZ is a more refined rifle but as far as accuracy goes, it appears to be hit or miss because of the ammo most people shoot (Wolf / military).

Michael

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

799 is not a true Mauser action in my opinion because it is not a controlled feed, it is a push feed. The 798 on the other hand is and they can be decent rifles. Usually good but can be made great, I bought on in 0.375 H&H Mag recently.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fltargetmaster

Finally went ahead with the impulse regulated by research and cost considerations this week. Got a 799 in the 7.62x39 version. Nicely made with only one complaint...the ammo feeding takes some effort. Had to get the special scope mount and mounted a "bargain basement" 3x9. Took about 20 rounds but it is dead on at 25 yards. Feral harvesting will commence shortly. All joshing aside, I do like this Serbian made piece. And, it's light enough to haul around and not aggravate the arthritis