Cheap Cheap Cheap AKs

SavageSig

AK prices are falling dramatically. 599 for a stamped Arsenal AK, 399 for a WASR-10 w/ black furniture or GP-1975 with shooting package, etc. I might have to put that CZ527 onto the back burner, but what can you do wrong when purchasing an AK? I just want a dirt cheap gun that works and that I can run some 7.62 through on a range day.

Is the Arsenal really worth it? Should I look for a chrome line barrel like a WASR-10, even though they reportedly have poorer accuracy and build quality? Is a GP-1975 a viable option?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AK prices are falling dramatically. 599 for a stamped Arsenal AK, 399 for a WASR-10 w/ black furniture or GP-1975 with shooting package, etc. I might have to put that CZ527 onto the back burner, but what can you do wrong when purchasing an AK? I just want a dirt cheap gun that works and that I can run some 7.62 through on a range day.

Is the Arsenal really worth it? Should I look for a chrome line barrel like a WASR-10, even though they reportedly have poorer accuracy and build quality? Is a GP-1975 a viable option?

Are they worth it. Eh.. yes and no. I mean... they're actually new rather than "new." There is definitely good craftsmanship behind them... they're Bulgarian parts made here in America. I've owned a few and never had any complaints. :screwy:

The best entry level AK IMHO is the Norinco Mak 90.

They were sellin 700 to 800 a while back before Obama was elected, but if you go to a gun show you might get one from a individual for 450-650 depending on accessories/condition. I love mine is has neveer had any problems and it is in ment condtion I got it back before the clinton ban. Good luck Iwould stay away from Romanian Ive heard some say they are not that good of quality.

The best entry level AK IMHO is the Norinco Mak 90.

They were sellin 700 to 800 a while back before Obama was elected, but if you go to a gun show you might get one from a individual for 450-650 depending on accessories/condition. I love mine is has neveer had any problems and it is in ment condtion I got it back before the clinton ban. Good luck Iwould stay away from Romanian Ive heard some say they are not that good of quality.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to the Murfreesboro gun show tomorrow, so I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a Mak-90.

Are the WASR-10's seriously out of spec? I've heard complaints about mag wiggle and cheap furniture, but neither of those bother me much if it can still feed reliably from standard mags and shoot 4-5" groups at 100 yds.

I shy away from an gun chambered in 7.62x39 that does not have a chrome lined barrel.

The reason is that most of the cheap surplus military "Cheap stuff" has corrosive primers. Even some foreign made ammo that is marked "Non-Corrosive" is in deed corrosive. The Chinese Blue boxed ammo comes to mind...plus a few others.

I just like to have the little extra protection and peace of mind knowing my barrel

is chrome lined and a lot more resistant to corrosion that a non-coated barrel.

The best kept secrets in AK's right now are the Saiga rifles.

Are the WASR-10's seriously out of spec? I've heard complaints about mag wiggle and cheap furniture, but neither of those bother me much if it can still feed reliably from standard mags and shoot 4-5" groups at 100 yds.

The idea is to actually check them out first before you buy. Look for a canted front sight or gas tube. Check for mag wooble. Fondling a WASR or buying one from someone on here who's trust worthy is the best. I just got a WASR from a member on here and have alredy put 200rds through it. Fed, shot and extracted perfectly fine with no issues. I used Tapco and Bulgarian mags and neither wobbled.

Is it a cheap AK...of course. Not to bad for a beginner AK or for plinking purposes. If your just going to plink and play, why pay more?? If you decide in the future you want something better, then you can purchase one. AK are like AR's in one aspect.....ya like'em or ya don't. :)

I am kinda thinking about getting a 7.62 as well. I saw somebody on TGO mention a Saiga 7.62. It seems like for the money, you cannot beat them. They are not a true AK, as in they do not accept AK parts, but they have the same design. For something to just shoot 7.62, they seem like a good option. I did a quick price search and found a new one on gunbroker for $329. Chrome barrel, synthetic stock, descent reviews. Could be worth having.

Been looking and have not seen this kind of price yet?

I am kinda thinking about getting a 7.62 as well. I saw somebody on TGO mention a Saiga 7.62. It seems like for the money, you cannot beat them. They are not a true AK, as in they do not accept AK parts, but they have the same design. For something to just shoot 7.62, they seem like a good option. I did a quick price search and found a new one on gunbroker for $329. Chrome barrel, synthetic stock, descent reviews. Could be worth having.
Guest bkelm18

Incorrect. Saigas are AKs and they accept AK parts. They just have to be modified slightly to be a "true" AK variant. The FCG has to be replaced with a real "AK" FCG, the mag catch has to be filed slightly and a feed ramp installed to accept high cap mags. That's really about it. A monkey could do it. After that a regular buttstock and a pistol grip can be installed with ease.

Currently I have a Sar-1, a SGL-21 and a Saiga. The only difference between them is the "finish". All of them are minute of man accurate, and fun as hell. :D.

Start with a Wasr - but make sure to get a 10/63 vs a 10. The 10's were designed as low cap single stack and century arms opened up the magwells for a traditional AK mag, hence the quality issue with mag wobble. My sar-1 was the century arms import before the wasrs, and it handles just fine.

THey have an AK, bull dog bag, 4 magazines (30), sling for 399? Not sure if that is a good deal or not? I guess they do not have chrome lined barrels.

JC

Currently I have a Sar-1, a SGL-21 and a Saiga. The only difference between them is the "finish". All of them are minute of man accurate, and fun as hell. :D.

Start with a Wasr - but make sure to get a 10/63 vs a 10. The 10's were designed as low cap single stack and century arms opened up the magwells for a traditional AK mag, hence the quality issue with mag wobble. My sar-1 was the century arms import before the wasrs, and it handles just fine.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Best cheap aka sub-$500 7.62X39 chambered AK rifles are in no particular order are.

SAR-1 (later 2001-2002 import)

Maadi ARM (AAC/INTRAC or PARS import)

MAK-90 (milled or stamped)

Chunkee, get the cheapest AK you can. It might not be pretty or super accurate, but most of them run with no problems. If you like the AK platform you can always swap up for better performance. The simple design of the AK makes it pretty hard to find one that won't perform.

Edit - I'll third the 5.45 - It costs about half as much per round as 7.62x39 right now.

Edited by iyaoyas98

I've got three of the Classic Arms WASR-10's. Paid under $300 for each of them a few years ago. They didn't look pretty when I got them, but with a little wood refinishing they all look great now. I've never had any of the WASR problems that many other folks have experienced. They go bang every time with decent accuracy.

I also have a couple of Saiga's that I really like. It takes a couple of hours of work and a few new parts to convert them to be 922r compliant to use hi-cap mags, but the result is a Russian AK for a good price. The conversion isn't hard at all.