Guide Rod Upgrade - Tungsten or other XD owners

Guest db99wj

Prefer XD owners, but all are welcome and asked to respond.

Have any of you upgraded to Don's Guide Rods or any other guide rod?

If so, why, and what # did you go to, what was the result.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I there something wrong with the stock guide rod?

It also seems it is one of the "upgrades" that some do, the stock spring is at 18# and a lot seem to like increasing that to around 22# to control muzzle flip more and to overall modify the feel of recoil to your personal preference.

I also read, and might need clarification for this, on XDtalk that springs need to be replaced after a certain amount of rounds, I think, I REPEAT, I THINK and could be wrong, it was every 2000 rounds or so that you should replace the spring. I say again, I could be wrong.:):):D

Guest Ghostrider

Judging from this, and it being a random weapon off the line. I doubt it's a "needed" change.

Perhaps it's something that is a great upgrade?

One of the primary reasons I purchased mine was the results of this test. I want something durable, safe, and powerful, with lots of rounds.

I'd like to hear your results also if you do it! :)

EDIT: Guess it would help if I included the link! http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.html

Judging from this, and it being a random weapon off the line. I doubt it's a "needed" change.

Perhaps it's something that is a great upgrade?

One of the primary reasons I purchased mine was the results of this test. I want something durable, safe, and powerful, with lots of rounds.

I'd like to hear your results also if you do it! :)

EDIT: Guess it would help if I included the link! http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.html

That article is also a reason why I bought my XD40;)

I've got only 650 rounds through mine and not a single issue with all the factory reloads I have shot. I pull the trigger, the XD says bang, and spits, every time!

i upgraded to a DGR for my service .40. i have the ported and went with #22. didn't like the #22 , found out you should stick with #18 on the ported.. the #22 just over compensated for muzzle flip. but the GR did feel a lot more smooth than the original. replacing is a good idea, springs wear out and the stock rods have failed before. there are no upgrades for the SC, but don is working on one. i'm pretty sure he has one for the .45 tac. i recommend them for anyone that can replace them.. just for that fact that a single solid piece is better than two, just a lot stronger

I've never replaced anything on my XD and it's seen a lot of rounds.

In my experience, there is a reason for the spring weight and guide rod the factory chooses. Unless there's a problem, I wouldn't change it. First law of engineering: If it's not broken, don't fix it.

I've had my Beretta 92SB since the early 80s. Who knows how many tens of thousands of rounds through it. Only reason I changed the spring was that someone gave one to me. I think Wilson Combat advises changing the springs on their handguns every few thousand rounds. I highly doubt it is necessary.

In my experience, there is a reason for the spring weight and guide rod the factory chooses. Unless there's a problem, I wouldn't change it. First law of engineering: If it's not broken, don't fix it.

I've had my Beretta 92SB since the early 80s. Who knows how many tens of thousands of rounds through it. Only reason I changed the spring was that someone gave one to me. I think Wilson Combat advises changing the springs on their handguns every few thousand rounds. I highly doubt it is necessary.

What have you seen? You read, hear, see competition shooters, glock owners (trigger job) enhance their handguns all the time.

springs wear out and if you think that the factory selected a spring weight for a reason that spring weight will change over the life of the spring so in order to maintain the intended weight the spring should be changed every few thousand rounds. does it have to be changed? no, not unless the spring falls to hold the slide in battery. spring weights are chosen by the factory by "averages". the "average" shooter might weigh an "average" weight and withstand an "average" recoil from an "average" grain bullet. spring weights are changed in accordance to ones preferences to felt recoil and shooting desires and the maintainance of that spring will determine the felt recoil and the shooters ability to control follow up shots. as far as the rod goes, it's an upgrade that's all.

I agree with that. I think the original designers (which isn't Springfield BTW) probably knew what they were doing. Of course they may have tweeked the design when it made it to the States.

The factory spring is already stiff. Too stiff in my opinion. As I understand it the spring is the way it is to handle many many +P loads. If you don't have a solid grip on the gun it will malfunction. It too close to close to the edge of not functioning for me.

Are you guys wanting to make the spring stronger?

I agree with that. I think the original designers (which isn't Springfield BTW) probably knew what they were doing. Of course they may have tweeked the design when it made it to the States.

The factory spring is already stiff. Too stiff in my opinion. As I understand it the spring is the way it is to handle many many +P loads. If you don't have a solid grip on the gun it will malfunction. It too close to close to the edge of not functioning for me.

Are you guys wanting to make the spring stronger?

a stonger spring on a non ported barrel will help with muzzle flip. i know that at pistol gear, #22 spring is the most popular. as the gun recoils a stronger spring will push the barrel back down onto the target better than the stock spring, but again, it depends on the shooter and his preference

I love the XD i have two of them and rely on my SC for my protection everyday. But the fact of the matter is it's a $400 gun imported from croatia. my truck has good stock brakes that the factory deemed were efficiant to stop it, are there better brakes out there that would stop my truck more efficiently? sure, do i need them? no, if i had the money would i upgrade? maybe. just so happens that DGR is only $20 so i went for it! :)

I think Wilson Combat advises changing the springs on their handguns every few thousand rounds. I highly doubt it is necessary.

wilson combat has been making one of the industries most highly regarded handguns for 29 years, no offense, but if they suggest changing the spring on their guns every few thousand rounds, i'd stick with what they say

I love the XD i have two of them and rely on my SC for my protection everyday. But the fact of the matter is it's a $400 gun imported from croatia. my truck has good stock brakes that the factory deemed were efficiant to stop it, are there better brakes out there that would stop my truck more efficiently? sure, do i need them? no, if i had the money would i upgrade? maybe. just so happens that DGR is only $20 so i went for it! :D

Great comments so far. Thanks.

Did you go with the #22 and could you tell a difference?

Great comments so far. Thanks.

Did you go with the #22 and could you tell a difference?

bought the #22 , only problem was i have a ported service. the #22 was pushing me past my line of sight and my follow ups were lower than normal. found out that #22 overcompensates on a ported barrel. the ports push up and out in order to reduce muzzle flip already. of course i didn't look into any of this before i ordered the #22! i'll be ordering the #18 with upgrade bushing as soon as i get around to it.

bought the #22 , only problem was i have a ported service. the #22 was pushing me past my line of sight and my follow ups were lower than normal. found out that #22 overcompensates on a ported barrel. the ports push up and out in order to reduce muzzle flip already. of course i didn't look into any of this before i ordered the #22! i'll be ordering the #18 with upgrade bushing as soon as i get around to it.

I see. But you did see, feel and shoot a difference. Interesting to see that the change was noticeable.

wilson combat has been making one of the industries most highly regarded handguns for 29 years, no offense, but if they suggest changing the spring on their guns every few thousand rounds, i'd stick with what they say

I know they make a fine handgun. That's why I bought one. But Wilsons are a little different bird than say a Kimber. They are truly a hand fitted handgun. Stuff like rail clearance is fitted more as an art than a science. They require a 500 round break-in. Wilson won't even talk to you about your "problem" with their guns until you have put 500 rounds of their approved ammunition through them. They tend to bind a little in the beginning.

If you ever get a chance to look at their handgun customizing videos, you will gain a real appreciation of their craftsmanship and why they cost so much.

As I said, my Beretta went for about 20 years on one spring. Light loads, heavy loads, extra-heavy loads. I doubt you need to replace a Wilson Combat spring very often. I'd guess it's a way of making sure the gun stays absolutely in specs, but is almost certainly overkill in terms of actual performance.