Good range to take wife to

Guest Kevin111

Guest Kevin111

Bought wife a Glock 27 the other day want to take her to range to get her familiar with it. Any suggestions? We live in Lebanon. She has her HCP, and grew up with guns. I was originally going to get a Glock 26 but settled on the 27. Considered the Springfield XD but racking the slide was too hard for her.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest speedlifted

Guns & Leather may be a drive for you but the range is very nice and indoor. well ventalated and lit. good people and great learning atmosphere

might be an option for you

Greenbrier TN only 15 mins north of Nashville

Bought wife a Glock 27 the other day want to take her to range to get her familiar with it. Any suggestions? We live in Lebanon. She has her HCP, and grew up with guns. I was originally going to get a Glock 26 but settled on the 27. Considered the Springfield XD but racking the slide was too hard for her.

I also live in Lebanon and G&L is a great place to shoot, I go to On Target in Murfreesboro because it's closer, it's also a good place to shoot. I've been to the indoor range in Gallatin and wouldn't recommend it... COOP

There's one on 109 in Gallatin beside Asherbranner's pawn shop. It would be fairly convenient to Lebanon.

+1. I shoot here all the time and 98% of the time I've got the range to myself... You should have no problem being able to talk and give her directions, and most likely there won't be many or even any other shooters that could distract her.

G&L is a nicer range yeah, but it's also A LOT more busy, take her there once she's more comfortable shooting IMO.

OnTarget is horrible IMO, especially for a new shooter. I work in audio and need to protect my ears, I've worn plugs AND muffs when I've shot there and still left with my ears ringing, it's easily the loudest range I've ever been to (it also is poorly lit). A 9mm sounds like a cannon there and I think it'd be really distracting to both of you while trying to teach her anything.

Edited by CK1
+1. I shoot here all the time and 98% of the time I've got the range to myself... You should have no problem being able to talk and give her directions, and most likely there won't be many or even any other shooters that could distract her.

G&L is a nicer range yeah, but it's also A LOT more busy, take her there once she's more comfortable shooting IMO.

OnTarget is horrible IMO, especially for a new shooter. I work in audio and need to protect my ears, I've worn plugs AND muffs when I've shot there and still left with my ears ringing, it's easily the loudest range I've ever been to (it also is poorly lit). A 9mm sounds like a cannon there and I think it'd be really distracting to both of you while trying to teach her anything.

I would recommend Guns and Leather first because it is way nicer but as CK said, it is usually pretty busy. +2 on Asherbranner's pawn since it's close to you. They are a little more expensive as I recall ($15 ??) but you won't have the Range Nazi's looking over your shoulder the whole time that you sometime get at Stones River :D. You will have a little more freedom and will be able to work with her one on one without interuption. Once she get's a little more familiar, I would then Recommend Stones River as they do have a nice setup and are cheap.

Outdoor Junction in Cookeville is the same distance about 45mi but in the other direction from Guns and Leather. Its easy to get to all interstate, exit 290, cookeville, Tn. I have not used the range but the employees are friendly and chances of a crowd are less. Just my 2 cents

Guest Drewsett

I took my wife to G&L for her first handgun shooting session...couldn't have had a better experience.

On Target might be closer to you, but they are a little less female friendly...I was in there a couple weeks ago and one of the clerks made a slightly crude comment about one of the more attractive females using the range.

Guest HexHead

Stones River usually has a female range officer or two there. My wife liked that a lot when she was first starting out, made her feel more comfortable.

Guest HexHead
I took my wife to G&L for her first handgun shooting session...couldn't have had a better experience.

That can be hit or miss. First time I took my wife there to start practicing for her HCP class, the guy in the next lane had a FN 5.7 that sounded like a cannon. Every time he shot it, the concussion made her literally jump. I was lucky she didn't lose interest immediately. She still always tries to get an end lane there now, so she just only has one person next to her.

but you won't have the Range Nazi's looking over your shoulder the whole time that you sometime get at Stones River :usa:...Once she get's a little more familiar, I would then Recommend Stones River as they do have a nice setup and are cheap.

The drawback to Stones River is that at $5.50, it attracts a few folks that necessitate the "Range Nazis", especially on weekends when the weather is nice. I've been happy to have the RSOs on more than one occasion, since they tend to nip stupid in the bud before it turns into reckless endangerment. My appreciation of them increased greatly after reading TGO accounts of the RSO-less TWRA range in Cheatham Co., and the unsafe conditions that have developed unchecked.

A great time to go out to Stones River is Friday afternoon - I've been the only person on the range there before, and chatted up the RSOs a bit. The ones I met sure seemed like good men and women. They've always been courteous to me, at any rate.

If you're only looking to plink, and not practice draw and fire or such (holstered weapons are not allowed at TWRA sites by rule), it's a good place to shoot.

The drawback to Stones River is that at $5.50, it attracts a few folks that necessitate the "Range Nazis", especially on weekends when the weather is nice. I've been happy to have the RSOs on more than one occasion, since they tend to nip stupid in the bud before it turns into reckless endangerment. My appreciation of them increased greatly after reading TGO accounts of the RSO-less TWRA range in Cheatham Co., and the unsafe conditions that have developed unchecked.

A great time to go out to Stones River is Friday afternoon - I've been the only person on the range there before, and chatted up the RSOs a bit. The ones I met sure seemed like good men and women. They've always been courteous to me, at any rate.

If you're only looking to plink, and not practice draw and fire or such (holstered weapons are not allowed at TWRA sites by rule), it's a good place to shoot.

I couldn't agree more. I usually go out there on Friday afternoons. The range Nazis was kind of a pun carried over from several threads here and I do in fact appreciate most of them. Jenny, one of the female RSO's is actually great. She has let me fire her 30/30 handgun, what a hoss.

Guest Drewsett
That can be hit or miss. First time I took my wife there to start practicing for her HCP class, the guy in the next lane had a FN 5.7 that sounded like a cannon. Every time he shot it, the concussion made her literally jump. I was lucky she didn't lose interest immediately. She still always tries to get an end lane there now, so she just only has one person next to her.

We got the end lane while we were there, but shortly after we came in a gentleman came in and got the lane right next to us and opened up his Judge...she nearly jumped out of her skin heh. She got used to it after awhile.

G&L, if you use the range on the left with the moving targets, there's a lot more noise absorption padding, much quieter that any range I have used:koolaid:

The wife ready noticed the difference when she took her class there!:cheers:

I agree on Asherbranners. We live in Gallatin and I took my wife there often for a month before she took her HCP class. We both took our HCP class there and I have a lot of respect for them all, just plain good folks. They are open late on Thursday nights and most of the time we had it to ourselves. She was not distracted or getting too much advice to process at one time. The folks there are super nice and will help you any way they can. I have not visited anywhere else however its serves very functionally. We are thinking about joining yearly.

Guest Paulie771

If you're in Lebanon I would recommend On Target in the Boro as well. $20 for the day and it includes a box of ammo, target, eye, and ear protection for the day. Staff has always been super nice and my wife is very comfortable with them. They are also a site sponsor.