Microtech STG?

Smith

Which one?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• STG556 for $982
    • STG E4 (AR mag compatible) for $1300
    • Converted Saiga AK for $700
    • SBR AR with for $1k (including NFA tax)

So, all this bullpup talking has brought back the old idea I had of wanting one of these. The fact they have come WAY down in price actually makes it feasible. So, question is..... what are the benefits of spending the extra $300 to get the E4 model (takes AR mags) as opposed to the cheaper STG model? The Steyr/STG mags aren't all that expensive to begin with. Also a consideration is that I definitely want to get the 6.8 conversion when available and price comes down. I' thinking that in that case the E4 might be worth it. Also I am not a mag horder, 5-6 work for me.:screwy: Give me your thoughts.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Microtech has worked the bugs out of the guns.I have a few AR's and it would be nice to be able to use the same mags in the E4.The service at Microtech is good and they moved from PA. to Asheville,NC. more or less.

I would go with the E4

That's a good point. I actually just found that Rat Worx is selling the STG556 railed version with 5 30rd magazines for $1050.

That was going to be my suggestion. I just got one from them and service was great, and extra mags are only $13 each.

Guest Tom@GunDepot

Microtech E4...... I own a E4 in OD green 16 inch barrel my brother has the all black. The stg model is ok but the mags do not want to drop out when you push the mag release button. The DPMS or any Teflon coated mags are awesome in the Micro E4. I just ran thru 200rds this morning these are awesome Bullpups.

Here's another thought I had. If I can get the STG (non E4) for 982 delivered, I can always get an E4 stock for under $300 (according to MT) when they are available and If I think it is of benefit down the road. That way I still come in under $1300.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

I prefer the STG-556 over the E4.

I don't like the excessive stippling on the sides of the E4 stock, and I prefer the proprietary STG magazines over the AR-15 magazine. Now the STG mags are reasonably priced. I have 20 42 round mags, 5 30 round mags, and 1 10 round that came with the rifle.

I like my STG-556 so much I might buy another. I currently own a 20" barreled gun in a black stock with the factory optic. It is one of my favorite rifles, up there with my 20" barreled Colt AR-15.

IIRC some of the E4's have had FTF/FTE issues that the standard STG 556's havent...that combined with the low price of the high quality microtech mags make it my choice...course im biased...I have a tan 20" railed MSAR. Oh...they also just released a really cool tan-digi camo E4 to throw another wrench in the machine.

Dont hold your breath...they have been talking about that project being "almost done" for over a year and a half :up:

That's why I'm gonna settle for the 5.56 till the get the 6.8 out..... if they ever do! They do have the 7.62x39, but I can't see it being used in anything but an AK!:up:

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, went with a 20" STG in black today from CDNN. Tried Ratworks but they are out of everything and Buds only has 16" OD green! I really like that RW came with the 5 mags. Oh, well at least I got it in black and a 20" barrel. Hopefully I can pick it up Monday! Now to pick out a decent optic.