Do you trust gun owners????

Guest strelcevina

how do you trust regular Joe Schmo selling or buying gun ,showing nothing but TN ID, and giving Cash?????

Eider somewhere on parking lot or or even Gun show , knowing that even worst human being have access to ID

thats the beauty of the law, you arent required to know who you are dealing with. just stay armed no matter what.

Edited by nightrunner
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

how do you trust regular Joe Schmo selling or buying gun ,showing nothing but TN ID, and giving Cash?????

Eider somewhere on parking lot or or even Gun show , knowing that even worst human being have access to ID

You are not bound by law to trust them nor are you required to trust them. You seem to have trust issues. Anything you care to elaborate on?

OK.

To answer your question:

We require a background check because no, we dont trust people we dont know. Having a HCP is not a requirement at G&L, and even if it was you were checked when you applied for the permit, but alot can happen after that.

You would think that'd be common sense.

Guest strelcevina
OK.

To answer your question:

We require a background check because no, we dont trust people we dont know. Having a HCP is not a requirement at G&L, and even if it was you were checked when you applied for the permit, but alot can happen after that.

You would think that'd be common sense.

i agree .

""The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender."" (Proverbs 22:7)

here is letter for you, if your employees ask you for a day off

So you want a day off.

Let's take a look at what you are asking for.

There are 365 days per year available for work.

There are 52 weeks per year in which you already have 2 days off per week, leaving 261 days available for work.

Since you spend 16 hours each day away fron work, you have used up 170 days, leaving only 91 days available.

You spend 30 minutes each day on coffee break which counts for 23 days each year, leaving only 68 days available.

With a 1 hour lunch each day, you used up another 46 days, leaving only 22 days available for work.

You normally spend 2 days per year on sick leave.

This leaves you only 20 days per year available for work.

We are off 5 holidays per year, so your available working time is down to 15 days.

We generously give 14 days vacation per year which leaves only 1 day available for work.

There's no way I'll let you take that day off! :D

I trust people I do not know no more than society requires me to - it does not matter if you are carrying a firearm, a cell phone, or a poodle.

But, then again, my parents taught me to count the cash coming out of an ATM machine, so that might explain something...

Guest Sgt. Joe
There is a big reason why you can't blindly trust someone just because they are a gun owner, or even a HCP holder.

Voldemort.

As usual Mike you have the short and to the point perfect answer !

I will however give my normal rambling.....

Myself, I grew up much like Volzvan and we are the same age, I trusted everyone and was very rarely sorry for it. I would give benefit of the doubt until you proved me wrong....NO second chances with me however, it is the "Shame on you...Shame on me" syndrome

These days things are much different, I still want to give the benefit of the doubt to everyone but simply can not, a gun or permit does not change that in any way.

Maybe I am defective in some way because if I see someone with nose rings and lip rings and males wearing eyeshadow and such I immediately dont trust them, even though I know these things alone do not necessarily mean the person is un-trustworthy.

I dont mean to pick on those who enjoy piercings, I have a few friends that have them and I do trust them but that trust was earned. And there are many other physical things that I see that cause the radar to go into not trusting mode from the get-go. It is sad because I did not use to be like that.

So just because someone has a gun and even a permit to carry it does not automatically make me trust them. Times have changed, and sadly for the worst. I am more apt to trust someone with a Permit but that trust still must be earned.

How many real life Thugs do you think are out there with guns and permits simply because they have not been caught doing anything wrong yet? If you would think none I believe you would be very mistaken.

As for the OP.....IIRC if a person who has multiple misdemeanor petty theft charges and even convictions for such, from 10-20 years ago show up on their background check those would not prevent that person from obtaining an HCP or buying a gun.

A full background check by a potential employer would reveal these things and if you as that employer saw these type things would you really want this person handling your money and merchandise?

I see no problems with the policies of any business that wishes to do a background check. Just like with our country.....Our most dangerous enemies come from within.

With jobs you are applying (asking) them to give you a way to earn some money and for them to trust you to do a good job, not steal and represent their business well.

If you have nothing to hide a background check should not bother you. If one has things in their past that would show up, they should be up-front about it, and that may well go a long way for someone to overlook something old found in the background check. Not a guarantee but being up-front would go a long way with me.

As Mike says with his Sig line "The more things change the more things stay the same" TRUST always had to be earned and that holds true today. Gun or no gun.

Guest BEARMAN
As usual Mike you have the short and to the point perfect answer !

I will however give my normal rambling.....

Myself, I grew up much like Volzvan and we are the same age, I trusted everyone and was very rarely sorry for it. I would give benefit of the doubt until you proved me wrong....NO second chances with me however, it is the "Shame on you...Shame on me" syndrome

These days things are much different, I still want to give the benefit of the doubt to everyone but simply can not, a gun or permit does not change that in any way.

Maybe I am defective in some way because if I see someone with nose rings and lip rings and males wearing eyeshadow and such I immediately dont trust them, even though I know these things alone do not necessarily mean the person is un-trustworthy.

I dont mean to pick on those who enjoy piercings, I have a few friends that have them and I do trust them but that trust was earned. And there are many other physical things that I see that cause the radar to go into not trusting mode from the get-go. It is sad because I did not use to be like that.

So just because someone has a gun and even a permit to carry it does not automatically make me trust them. Times have changed, and sadly for the worst. I am more apt to trust someone with a Permit but that trust still must be earned.

How many real life Thugs do you think are out there with guns and permits simply because they have not been caught doing anything wrong yet? If you would think none I believe you would be very mistaken.

As for the OP.....IIRC if a person who has multiple misdemeanor petty theft charges and even convictions for such, from 10-20 years ago show up on their background check those would not prevent that person from obtaining an HCP or buying a gun.

A full background check by a potential employer would reveal these things and if you as that employer saw these type things would you really want this person handling your money and merchandise?

I see no problems with the policies of any business that wishes to do a background check. Just like with our country.....Our most dangerous enemies come from within.

With jobs you are applying (asking) them to give you a way to earn some money and for them to trust you to do a good job, not steal and represent their business well.

If you have nothing to hide a background check should not bother you. If one has things in their past that would show up, they should be up-front about it, and that may well go a long way for someone to overlook something old found in the background check. Not a guarantee but being up-front would go a long way with me.

As Mike says with his Sig line "The more things change the more things stay the same" TRUST always had to be earned and that holds true today. Gun or no gun.

+1....Well said...Sgt.Joe.

Times are just too perilous to hand over blind trust to anyone, without it being earned ...raised that way myself, by two great parents, and the grace of God. :death:

Guest strelcevina
:D looks like the soup maybe ready?

not yet , there is few more ingredients to add .:death:

for my job i had to do Physical, Criminal , Drug & Alcohol and Credit check.

so Question is why employers have power to ask for something like that????

Communist China maybe ,but why U.S.

Why do you need all that.

Criminal Check i can understand like i said before, but why all others check.

why do you need to know my Credit history to give me a job.is not like i'm buying something on Credit

what if i'm broke ... is it bad to be broke.

or even better what if i have 100.000$ on my account.

is that worst... he don't need a money ..it means he will be lazy and wont work overtime.

What is a point of Credit Check

What is with Physical Check.

thanks god im in great shape,,but what if i were Fat or mortally OBs ,

or even if i where to skinny .

or what if i where Diabetic or like one member of our forum who need to get his thyroid removed ( sorry i cant remember a name right now).and needs medications for life.

would you give me a job.

soon Employers will ask for Genetic Check.

and for small business owners.. don't forget who is your boss .

your Lender will ask you for all that before they give you loan

not yet , there is few more ingredients to add .:rolleyes:

why do you need to know my Credit history to give me a job.is not like i'm buying something on Credit

is that worst... he don't need a money ..it means he will be lazy and wont work overtime.

or what if i where Diabetic or like one member of our forum who need to get his thyroid removed ( sorry i cant remember a name right now).and needs medications for life.

would you give me a job.

I didn't realy think so :no1:

No.

...but just to clarify, as far as I am concerned trust is earned, and I have no more confidence in someone who bought a gun to not harm me than I do in someone who bought a hammer to be able to build a house. And to go even further, all that an HCP tells me is that a person owns their gun for the right reason... not that they are sane or responsible. However... if trust is relative, then I will concede that statistics do bear out that HCP holders are far less likely to commit violent crime (even less likely than uniformed professionals, according to stats from Texas I saw). I don't live my life by statistics though... been burned by that false confidence once too many.

I'm 52 years old and grew up in the late 50's, 60's and 70's. I trusted everyone that I met and back then it didn't bite me in the butt too often.

Times have surely changed. It has taken some time and effort to make that adjustment in my thinking. I still want to trust everyone that I meet but that just is not wise these days. I have meet some of the guys here on TGO and I don't automatically trust them either. It is nothing against them but just the way it has to be. When it comes to the guys here I would be quicker to trust than total strangers that I have had no interaction at all. People can be entirely different in person than they are online as I'm sure you know.

When it comes to HCP holders, yes they are good enough to be able to pass the background check to get their permit but if I am hiring someone that has access to my assets then I would also want to be as diligent as possible to know as much as I can about someone that I am going to trust with my business. I don't blame anyone that has to hire to do this too. I have never in my life done drugs but I would not be offended if I was required to take a test in the application process.

The bottom line is that now everyone has to EARN my trust, HCP or not.

I tend to give people the benifit of the doubt, a few years ago I thought about going in to Law enforcement but my Mom said that wasn't a good idea for me because I trust everyone and she was probably right.

But GUT instincts play a big part of trust as well. the first time I met Volzfan I immediately felt like I could trust him even though we had a mutual friend, he is a good guy and offered to help me find a car for my daughter, instant trust.

Another TGO member KANO, first time I met him gut instinct kicked in and absolutely trust him, I could go on and on with new friends I've met from TGO form gun sales to gun purchases and training, Daniel (G&L), Todd and Dustin (CIS), I only have a few TRUE friends and trust them with my life and they trust me the same.... COOP

not yet , there is few more ingredients to add .;)

would you give me a job.

I'll break that down for you.

Physical- Same as insurance if you are in poor health this can affect how much time off you may take, insurance premiums/cost for the company. It also may hinder you in the normal actions of just doing your job.

Criminal , Drug & Alcohol- Those kinda go hand in hand don't they? No one wants a alcoholic, meth addicted rapist working for the day care do we?

Credit check- This is one of the lesser ones, but depending on the job, if you have alot of debt it could make you a liability for theft or even blackmail or bribery.

Guest bkelm18
not yet , there is few more ingredients to add .;)

would you give me a job.

So lets say you have a business and you have a position that handles large amounts of cash daily. Would you hire someone who has $50,000 in debt and hasn't made a payment in 2 years or someone who has an average amount of debt and has never missed a payment. Remember, they will be handling large amounts of cash daily. The first person obviously cannot be trusted with money as he has proven him/herself untrustworthy with money. Meanwhile, the second person obviously is very responsible and would not be a large risk for that position. Look, I couldn't care less who YOU trust and who you don't, nor do I care that you think everybody should trust everybody. That's not how the world works. The sooner you realize that the sooner you'll realize that you're gonna get burned bad sooner or later if you keep up your line of thinking.

It's unfortunate you can't trust more people these days. A sign of the times I guess. I had several good teachers growing up, and several valuable lessons taught to me. The gold standard now is trust NO ONE until that person earns it. Just because someone owns a gun doesn't make them trustworthy. This carries the same with gun show "dealers" whether behind a table or walking around a gun show. There are certain people I now know to stay the H*ll away from at shows. I've either been burned by them in the past or watched them buy a gun off on unsuspecting elderly person only to go back to their table and laugh it up with their buddies about how they put the screws to papaw. There is even one particular seller at local shows that's been known to have a record of B&E. Needless to say that person will never see $1 from me. Lucky for me I have a memory like a steel trap so if you do me dirty I NEVER forget about it.

I don't trust anybody I don't personally know.

Gun ownership is irrelevant. So is car ownership, or TV ownership...

This is a great answer. Trust is earned through trustworthy and honest actions. Be polite, watch closely, make your decision.

Keep up the good work and remember the little limrick i learned from an old boss of mine (he is one of the smartest and most cynical men i ever knew):

"On the whole, the human race is disgraceful (or some other more colorful expletive laden description), but i'm pleasently suprized by individual performances..."

Kind regards,

LEROY

I don't trust anybody I don't personally know.

Gun ownership is irrelevant. So is car ownership, or TV ownership...

^^^^^ 5

yeah, same goes for me...but maybe I am just a cynic.

BTW: Just because you own a gun, doesn't automatically make you "the world's nicest person". Although I have been told I am up for that award, a HCP is not a personallity test or character reference.

My tally so far, Strick and Mike have the top 2 responses, Metal comming in tight at #3.

Let me guess, this dude didn't get the job at G&L?

It is ok man, the great Hope maker says there will be tons of jobs, just re-elect him!!