Any Old Hippies Here???

Ok, I joined this group on Facebook called "Old hippies, child of the 60's". It is basically for people born in the mid to late 50's and early 60's. I found it interesting so I though I would through the question out here "Any old hippies here?" Speak up, share a story, an old photo, or give us your dress code for the era. I was born in 56, grew up in the 60's - remember JFK being shot, John Glenn going into space, Woodstock, women's lib, civil rights movement, Martin getting shot, and I could go on.......:tough:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I joined this group on Facebook called "Old hippies, child of the 60's". It is basically for people born in the mid to late 50's and early 60's. I found it interesting so I though I would through the question out here "Any old hippies here?" Speak up, share a story, an old photo, or give us your dress code for the era. I was born in 56, grew up in the 60's - remember JFK being shot, John Glenn going into space, Woodstock, women's lib, civil rights movement, Martin getting shot, and I could go on.......:tough:

I can't remember. rastaman2.gif

I wasn't born until the 60's. However, my father and 18 uncles and great uncles were all career military officers from WWII through Vietnam era. That was my raising environment. The majority of them were retiring or were retired by my youth. There weren't any hippies in that bunch I can tell you that. :tough: The name Jane Fonda is still among the worst of curse words in front of my father, who turns red at the mere mention of her name.

If my hair got longer than the most liberal of military regs I took all kinds of grief.

Now days a lot of people look upon "hippies" quite fondly, well I had long hair and played in a garage band and yeah "partied", and I was around a lot of hippies, really, most stunk, didn't bathe, yeah they talked "cool' and always knew where the next party was, but, they had "sticky fingers" and most female and males had some form of VD. Truth is you didn't want to be around them very long.

Guest mustangdave
Ok, I joined this group on Facebook called "Old hippies, child of the 60's". It is basically for people born in the mid to late 50's and early 60's. I found it interesting so I though I would through the question out here "Any old hippies here?" Speak up, share a story, an old photo, or give us your dress code for the era. I was born in 56, grew up in the 60's - remember JFK being shot, John Glenn going into space, Woodstock, women's lib, civil rights movement, Martin getting shot, and I could go on.......:D

Right there with you...born in '57...lived in San Francisco during the "Summer of LOVE"...was living outside of DC...was home sick with chicken pox when JFK was shot and the funeral procession...in BLACK and WHITE TV ...my dad worked at NASA during the GEMINI Missions leading up to APOLLO and the moon shot....mom coulda been a hippie. Its a miracle I survived.

Edited by mustangdave

A lot of good and bad memories from those days. All things considered, I miss it. Life seemed much simpler then.

I never had any problems with the hippie culture until I was spit on and called a baby killer by a few hippie looking kids while I was in uniform. Unlike today, we weren't considered heros for serving during that war.

I was born in 56 also but I confess that living in what was then the country (now the City of Farragut) we left the doors unlocked and I had no idea what a hippie was. I can remember riding my bicycle in the middle of Kingston Pike (our family still owns the home on Kingston Pike and it's one of the few single family residences left) and thinking nothing of it. :D Those were good times.

(I know that to the folks from other parts of the state (or nation) Kingston Pike means nothing but it's one of the busiest main streets in Knoxville. )

A lot of good and bad memories from those days. All things considered, I miss it. Life seemed much simpler then.

I never had any problems with the hippie culture until I was spit on and called a baby killer by a few hippie looking kids while I was in uniform. Unlike today, we weren't considered hero's for serving during that war.

Yep, we were warned on the flight home to San Fransisco about the scum throwing things and spitting on us. Only good thing, they were easy to avoid, you could always smell'm before you seen'm !!

I missed it via the lottery too! I almost won the 1st draft lottery in the summer of '70 - my number was 2. I joined the Reserves in Jan '71 just before I graduated. My Reserve unit didn't go.

I had friends who didn't miss it and didn't come back.

Thanks Mike, yeah I'm sure a lot weren't, just SF in the early 70's was not a very friendly place for servicemen. From what I hear it still isn't. You know most Naval bases are close to big cities, where your money's good but you're not. I remember one neighborhood outside San Diego seeing a sign saying " Sailors and dogs keep off the grass", remember think'n damm they even got dogs that can read here.:D

Born in 52 and I think life was more relaxed back then where I lived. We too left the doors unlocked and I even walked to school, elementary and junior high.

You don't hear of kids elementary age walking to school much. I did not let my kids.

Always liked hippie and all the other things when growing up in that time, especially the cars that were distinctly different every year almost.

Joined the Air Force and was sent my draft notice to report while in basic training.

h