Any Old Hippies Here???

I drew lottery #267 in the summer of 1970. Still lucky in love & poker. The hillbilly hippies were different than the San Fran lefties. Most of those folks where and still are from a different world. Any bad talk about our soldiers around here would get your head hurt. Mike

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember all the hippies in my neighborhood telling me I needed to take my American flag and fly it upside down. Did enjoy underground comix by R crumb. Enlisted in army in 1972 at 17 right before my 18th birthday,so not much of a hippie here.Did hane long hair though

Born in 1952. Still have my love beads & a half bottle of Boones Farm Mellow Days. Wanted to go to Woodstock but, Mom said no. THEY WERE GREAT TIMES! Anyone remember Grand Funk Railroad? How about Leon Redbone.

yep, what about Savoy Brown, Ten Years After and Leon Russell

No offense to anyone, but I sure am glad I was born in the early 70's and avoided that whole period in time. What a clustercluck that was. Then again those older than me say just the opposite.

That is what make the world go round I suppose.

Yeah, things are a lot better now.:confused:

I got my hippie credentials in '68 in San Francisco.

I had just been chipping at it for a couple years till then. :up:

If AIDs had been around in the 60's and 70's, there wouldn't be many of us alive today.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Yeah, things are a lot better now.:up:

Yes...I honestly believe that they are. I could easily slice the past 150 years up decade by decade and explain why....it isn't hard at all to do.

Every generation has had the same argument, and had the same woes. Don't forget that the generation before you folks, the "greatest" and "lost" generations didn't think too highly of you folks as you are doing to X and Y

One of the frustrations is that today people have everything right at their fingertips and still seem to screw it up.

Just a different hand of cards is all.

+ 100

My "social life" changed a lot after about '84. But for about 12-15 yrs before that, Atlanta was the greatest place in the world to be single.

Did you ever know a nite club called "Daddy's Money" it was downtown Atlanta. One of the Stock holders of a company I worked for in Gatlinburg owned it. IT WAS A FIRST CLASS ROCK & ROLL CLUB "gooood times"

Yes...I honestly believe that they are. I could easily slice the past 150 years up decade by decade and explain why....it isn't hard at all to do.

Every generation has had the same argument, and had the same woes. Don't forget that the generation before you folks, the "greatest" and "lost" generations didn't think too highly of you folks as you are doing to X and Y

One of the frustrations is that today people have everything right at their fingertips and still seem to screw it up.

Just a different hand of cards is all.

I was born in 1971 - sounds like around the same time as you - and I must disagree that things are better today than any time before.

Personally, I know that some things in the '70s blew. Disco, for one. They say the economy was bad but, being toward the bottom end of what would probably be considered 'middle class' (the old 'working class' designation isn't used much, anymore) my family never had enough money to notice much difference if it was bad or good. I honestly believe that people - at least in rural areas - were more free in the late '70s/early '80s. Folks could still ride around with shotguns in gun racks in the back window of their pickup trucks and it was no big deal - in fact, a pickup almost looked 'naked' without one. You could still buy handguns at Walmart. You could still buy inexpensive used cars from the '60s in good shape - cars that had power and that the average guy could work on without needing a degree in computer engineering. There was more undeveloped land for hunting, fishing hadn't been turned into a past-time almost exclusively maintained for participants in bass tournaments and people, in general, were better about simply minding their own damned business. I like the Internet, cell phones, iPods, etc. as much as anyone but I'd go back to land lines, 8 tracks in cars and personal cassette players in a heartbeat to get back some of the individual freedom that we have lost (either through laws or through societal norms) in just the past thirty years or so.

Edited by JAB
Guest Swamprunner
Does me at Bonnaroo count?

21ki9e8.jpg

Nah, y'all are jest hippies with electronics.

Didja go there in a van?

Lessee, I remember mood rings, pet rocks, Hogan's Hero's in black and white, Palladin, shag carpeting, thai stick, 'ludes, goin' to the theater on Saturday afternoon fer a quarter, had a real V-dub bug with no heat, ethyl gas, baby moons, and the like. Oh, and you had to buy rubbers from the pharmacist. But really, I don't remember much after the 'ludes.:)

Dear Hippies,

First off, let me say I'm not old enough to remember how earth-shaking and awesome the late 60s were. I'll be the first to say that responsibility-free mind alteration and easy "company" could make for a fine time, if you're of that inclination. Those of us who weren't around totally get that whole thing. It's the seeds that were planted that are the issue at hand.

At what cost to the future did you have your (probably super-awesome) four year long parade of drugs and sex and other stuff we'll never get to do?

Exhibit A:

Bing Video: Hippies - Crying Over Dead Trees

Exhibit B:

Bing Video: Eric Cartman: They re not people, they re hippies!

The human fungi from exhibit A didn't come from a vacuum. The conditions for their birth and growth were created. Who created those conditions?

Atone for your sins - eat lots of meat, go to work, and be virtuous. You're all already nice to LEOs and soldiers, so we've got that covered. Especially eat meat, because every time you eat a steak, a hacky-sack falls down a storm drain. Bonus redemption points are awarded if you killed your own dinner.

/Yeah, if I'd have been there, I would have raised hell too.:tough:

Guest Sgt. Joe

Born in the year of the classics 1957....a bit young for the wildness of the sixties but did my part by always hanging with folks a bit older than myself from about age 9 or 10, I may have been a bit young in the 60's but I consider my self an old hippie anyway.

Throughout my life most all of my best friends have been 5-15 years older than me. That is still true for the most part today, some of you younguns are hippies and dont know it. clsutton21.....YEP you count, it aint your fault older folks invented all those electronics we all have. You seem to have the spirit and to me that is what makes a hippie. BTW I have that shirt and more hair....I may be old but at least I aint bald and as long as it will grow I will allow it to. The Army made me get enough haircuts to last a life time as far as I am concerned.

Yet I still remember saying "Dont trust anyone over 30" Thai sticks,ludes as someone else said and especially shag carpet, bright orange was my favorite...it went on the floors, walls and ceilings of my vans, although I never had a WV one. I also never found the first Super-Ball I bought after the first time I bounced it.

The Bellamy Bros said it best.....

"The world may change around him but he just cant change no more"

Although I was to young for the draft...

They took my ponytail when I volunteered for the Army, any soldier bashing around my friends and I would have and did result in a butt whooping. We were not of that breed of hippie. Some of those older friends went to that jungle and never came back, in fact most of the people I knew who went did not come back.

This old Hippie has nothing but the utmost RESPECT for our Military. I even became part of it.

While folks like Hanoi Jane were associated with hippies I know of many who considered themselves hippies that would have done very harmful things to her if they had been given the chance, myself included.

I am proud to say my ponytail is returning since my latest discharge, it adds to my intimidating look which is a big part of my overall SA. Just ask TnRebel how ugly I am, I am sure he will glad to expound on the issue for you:p

And I still have a pet rock. I am very proud of my rock as my daughter gave it to me this past year for my B-day and it is shaped like a Heart, but it is in fact a real "picked up off the ground" rock. Store bought rocks never worked for me or my friends and we laughed at those who had them. I also still wear a Peace Sign necklace that was given to me by my youngest son.

Eat meat?....Plaaaese is there any other food? Red dead animal meat is the kind I like.

I never hugged no tree unless I needed it to remain standing while taking a leak. the Good Lord put trees here for us to cut down and use as we see fit. I can not watch that tree hugger video that was linked....I have seen it and it makes me want to chuck and or shoot my puter screen. those folks are idiots not hippies.

But then we all grow up some, and Yes some of the old fools turned into older fools or Lefties sorry to repeat myself. While the smarter ones turned into, Gun loving Bible toting Conservatives like myself. We got put on a List for that:p of which I am very proud, I met all the qualifications for the list. Yet I am still PROUD to say I am an Old Hippie.

While God may have created men equal the hippie movement did not.

Discos..? Yea the music pretty much stunk but that is where the girls were so that is where I was. White Hager double knit pants with two inch cuffed bell bottoms, add my hot pick ballooned sleeved shirt and I was ready to go out dancing, rarely did I go home alone:D And I at least admit such while I know of some others who will not who were right there with me.

Free Love?....Naaa aint never really been free, but I am on my(EDIT: second) wife and second litter. Ages of 5 range from 32 this year to just turned 9. My oldest grankid is just months younger than my youngest kid.

So Yea I'm an old hippie, now where's my cane? I need to pee. And since it is so late I may as well just make some coffee and stay up. No real sense in going to bed as I know I will awake at 0530 anyway.

Yea I know:screwy:

Edited by Sgt. Joe
Guest Caveman
I was born in 1971 - sounds like around the same time as you - and I must disagree that things are better today than any time before.

Personally, I know that some things in the '70s blew. Disco, for one. They say the economy was bad but, being toward the bottom end of what would probably be considered 'middle class' (the old 'working class' designation isn't used much, anymore) my family never had enough money to notice much difference if it was bad or good. I honestly believe that people - at least in rural areas - were more free in the late '70s/early '80s. Folks could still ride around with shotguns in gun racks in the back window of their pickup trucks and it was no big deal - in fact, a pickup almost looked 'naked' without one. You could still buy handguns at Walmart. You could still buy inexpensive used cars from the '60s in good shape - cars that had power and that the average guy could work on without needing a degree in computer engineering. There was more undeveloped land for hunting, fishing hadn't been turned into a past-time almost exclusively maintained for participants in bass tournaments and people, in general, were better about simply minding their own damned business. I like the Internet, cell phones, iPods, etc. as much as anyone but I'd go back to land lines, 8 tracks in cars and personal cassette players in a heartbeat to get back some of the individual freedom that we have lost (either through laws or through societal norms) in just the past thirty years or so.

This post made me happy and sad. I was born in 1980, so I know nothing other than what I have read or heard about the 60's/70's. Yet, my childhood was much like yours. I grew up in the back woods of Halls. Everyone in my area (and there werent many) had 100+ acres. We all new each other and left each other alone. We never locked our doors. My brother and I rode our three wheelers for hours through the woods and rode our horses anytime we wanted. I learned to work on cars/trucks with my Dad and his 67 F100. We always had older vehicles and did our own work on them. Even when I turned 16 I drove an old Buick with a V-8. I got my first gun when I was 13 or so, a .22 rifle that I paid for with the money I made slinging hay, mowing and what-not. I used to shoot it on our property all the time and no one cared. He11, it was a normal thing to hear gunshots in the distance from someone out plinking on their land. It makes me happy to think of those times. Now-a-days I drive a Honda CRV and I can barely change the oil. I Live in a condo with no property and I have to keep an eye on my kids when they go out to play. If anyone hears a gunshot they call the police. I have all the technology everyone else does and I would give it up in a second to go back to my house in the country.