Info wanted, used S&W revo

hazmatt

I am considering buying a used S&W 357 mag revo. I would like some opinions on what a good price might be. I have found two for sale. One is a model 66-2 purchased in 1984 with about 900 round fired through it half 38sp half 357mag. the other is a model 66-3. I am in e-mail contact with the two sellers and waiting for more info on the model 66-3. Maybe someone can tell me what years the 66-3 were produced in.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 inch M66's seem to sell for $350-$400 depending on condition. 2-1/2 inch snubbies bring more and 3 inch are the rarest and most expensive.

If you post the serial numbers we can narrow down the production date.

how much did you pay?

To the best of my recollection...$325-350. From Eastside Gun Shop on Trinity Lane. The Rabbi has has a couple of Model 66 guns since but I haven't noticed one lately. Why not give him a call. He's a pretty good guy to deal with. Always treated me fairly.

One is a model 66-2 purchased in 1984 with about 900 round fired through it half 38sp half 357mag.

Don't stay too focused on round count...it means little to nothing. A good revolver should lock up tight reguardless of 10 rounds or 100,000.

I have some with over 50,000 in my safe and you could never tell it from a "new" one simply because I adhere to proper maintenance and cleaning. Both of which are more important than rounds.

Think of them as big rigs rather than cheap cars....

Guest davidz71

If I remember correctly, the Mdl. 65 is a stainless fixed sight .357 and the Mdl. 66 is an adjustable sight .357. I've shot both and owned two Mdl. 66's. I don't get a very good sight picture with the Mdl. 65 fixed sights like our department did with the Ruger Service Sixes (excellent fixed sight picture).

• 2 weeks later...
Both revolvers are a tad HIGH!

Oh, you didn't know everybody thinks anything with Smith and Wesson and .357 on it makes it worth a small fortune.:D Don't get me wrong Smith and Wesson's are great revolvers, but it seems like you have to hunt good deals on them and hope you got to it before somebody else.

Guest coldblackwind

I have a model 66, great gun. Paid $375 for it, and the combat master was just what it was called, I noticed noone answered that, had to do with the fact that most of them had the combat rubber grips (not all, don't yell at me!), and the trigger I believe was something special. Mine has had a trigger job, and let me tell you, it's a great trigger!

I have a model 66, great gun. Paid $375 for it, and the combat master was just what it was called, I noticed noone answered that, had to do with the fact that most of them had the combat rubber grips (not all, don't yell at me!), and the trigger I believe was something special. Mine has had a trigger job, and let me tell you, it's a great trigger!

It’s a Combat Magnum. It was the Model 19 and then the Model 66 in stainless. Rubber grips had nothing to do with it as the Combat magnums were out before rubber grips were popular. :D

Guest coldblackwind

Oops, you're right, combat magnum, my mistake! I looked up the origin of the name quite a while ago when I first picked mine up, I thought it said something about the grips being part of the reason for the name, on the 66, not the 19 (yes I realize the only real difference is stainless vs blue). Its been a while though. All I know is they are great guns, and when I was looking for mine I was trying to stay below $400 and figured $300 would be a great deal, so that was the range I came up with.