What level of NRA membership are you?

Are you guys also members of the Tennessee Firearms Assoc.?  Read about the "self defense immunity" law in the news lately, from FL?  TFA has tried to introduce legislation in TN, to keep (truly) defensive shooters from having to get involved with the "system."  They need more members, influence, etc.

• Like 1
On 10/19/2011 at 8:48 AM, jessix said:

I just joined your group so I could brag about being a Benefactor member of the NRA! So here I am and I'm bragging.

I've been a member since the late 1960's when it was much CHEAPER to join. Lifetime Membership was $100 at the time and there were often special promotion sales with installment payments available. For the BIGGER MEMBERSHIPS there were similar promotions. I don't recall how many steps there were up to Benefactor but I recall payments of $250 along the way. There may have been a few combined levels towards the top.

Offering different levels is one way the NRA keeps members paying for memberships so they don't feel like they are just sitting around at a certain point. There are always requests for donations as well so nobody needs to feel left out once they become a lifetime member.

Most of us started as regular members with the first option to renew or to upgrade. I was a student when I joined so I waited until the price was going to go up to become a life member. I've been a member of the NRA longer than any other group. I think most members will also find this to be the case after many years.

OK. I finished bragging. nice to meet you all.

Welcome to the group :wave:.

BTW......life member

On 1/29/2010 at 8:28 PM, 56FordGuy said:

I'm a basic member. I may misunderstand the Life memberships, though.

I thought once you paid the fee, either all at once or by installments, to be a Life Member, you didn't pay anymore.

I don't like that idea. If I support an organization, I want to be actively supporting them. I don't think the NRA gains much by having my name on a list as it does having my money every two years.

Then again, what if I decide to stop supporting the organization for any reason? I'm still on the roster as a life member, even if I'd stopped any extra contributions.

I prefer to support the NRA, and a few other groups, on a shorter basis. They wind up with more of my money, and when it's something I support I think that's a good thing.

That's what I thought also. I upgraded to life member a few years ago, thinking they would finally stop sending me stuff. Little did I know, they have different grades of life memberships. They still send me stuff, trying to get me to upgrade my life membership.

9 hours ago, m16ty said:

That's what I thought also. I upgraded to life member a few years ago, thinking they would finally stop sending me stuff. Little did I know, they have different grades of life memberships. They still send me stuff, trying to get me to upgrade my life membership.

There is always another level, but even if you happen to reach the top, they will still ask for money.  So not having to upgrade will not mean they will not accept further donations.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Omega said:

There is always another level, but even if you happen to reach the top, they will still ask for money.  So not having to upgrade will not mean they will not accept further donations.

I think the Church of Scientology has a similar approach to things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Endowment, but I don't think I'm going any higher.

I give NRA-ILA a little dab every time they do a sweepstakes, but aside from maybe a bit in the ole will, that's about it.

I've come to be sort of 60/40 on NRA in general, still see it as necessary, but am not enamored with either the issues they duck  or the tone of the PR on the ones they don't.

- OS

• 3 weeks later...