Kahr vs Para for small carry 9mm

stahlmangc

I am doing some research to find a 9mm for concealed carry. I am fond of the longer trigger pull of the DA or DAO (rather than the SA cocked and locked of the 1911) in this situation. (My bias) I would prefer a single stack thin model.

I've shot a Kahr P9, and have handled a Para PDA (with LDA trigger). I've also looked at the Para Carry 9 in the magazines. I've also handled a Sprinfield Armory EMP.

Can you folks give me your thoughts and experiences with each? Any others out there I should look at?

Thanks for your expertise.

Gray

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry the kahr CW40 daily, I bought my wife an EMP 9 last year, I shoot the CW40 as accurately or more accurately than any handgun I own, it is my favorite carry weapon. The EMP is great but I personally don't care for a SA weapon for my carry piece, you know, one less thing to remember if ever in a self defense situation, not having to remember to release the safety.

I don't have any experience with the para so I can't help you there.

Oh yea my second favorite carry piece is my kahr PM40, black diamond with trijicon night sights...

Guest HexHead

My wife's got a PDA. It took a couple hundred rounds to break in, but now runs reliably. The LDA trigger is awesome. Everyone that's tried it is amazed at how light and smooth the DA trigger is. Great little pistol.

Guest BigShot

i LOVE my little Para Carry... accurate and reliable... but for months i've been hearing positively glowing reports about the Kahr PM9, 40s and 45s. Really looks like i will try one myself but i'm VERY interested in your findings after your purchase, IF you can find one.

I can't speak to the 9mm, but I just sold/traded my way to a Kahr PM45. (I wanted a .45 in as small a package as possible for those times when 9mm just doesn't feel like enough...)

The Kahr has a looooooong trigger pull, but it's butter smooth for it's whole length. The .45 has a pretty good bark, but it's nothing unmanageable, and I'd guess the 9mm would shoot really nicely.

I also have a Para .45 with the LDA - not as smooth as the Kahr, but still nice. I think you'd be good either way.

Guest HVAC Worker

All that I can add is that I carry my KahrCW.45 99% of the time I am awake,in a OWB holster and dont even know its there half the time.It shoots just like it feels in my hand,great:up::confused::up::eek:

I will throw in a +1 for the Kahr. I have the PM9 and absolutely love it. I carried a commander length 1911 for awhile and never got comfortable with the extra safety. The PM9 is crazy accurate for such a small handgun. I also have over 300 rounds through mine without one failure.

At any given time you will find me with a Kahr MK9 or MK40. They are the steel framed Kahrs so not the lightest in the world but IMO some of the best little carry weapons made. Amazing accuracy for a 3" barrel and having a couple double actions you get use to the trigger pull.

I find it odd you don't see more of them out there. It might be that others are like me, once you own them it's a little tough to let them go.

Guest 1eyedwillie

Been lurking here a while, but I'm taking this opportunity to put in a word for the steel Kahrs.

I researched long and hard for a 9mm pocket gun and last year settled on a Kahr MK9, elite 2003 with factory night sights. I realize its more costly than some and weighs more than the PM9. But I don't buy very often, and I thought it would be a nicer weapon for my kids to inherit. Some think its too heavy for pocket carry, but the weight does not bother me personally. Being an 'old fart' I have enough trouble remembering things so I don't mind the extra weight reminding me its there :up:.

I got the 'tomahawk' leather holster from Pocket Concealment Systems (Pocket Concealment Systems, Inc. Online Catalogue) and it was worth the wait. Also, I carry two 7-round reloads in a wallet holster from Center of Mass (Center Of Mass Central). The trigger is long but very smooth as someone else has said. Also, I'll plus one on the accuracy. The recommended 200 round break-in period went without a hitch--no failure to anything. The only thing I have added was a little piece of skateboard grip tape to the front of the grip. It helps with the two-finger grip. Its my 'always' gun when I'm not carrying a full size and I don't have to worry about what style of clothes I am wearing. However, in all fairness, I don't wear tight pants--mostly full cut pleated Dockers.

Can't give any advice on the Para, but wanted to say something for the metal Kahrs.

I own both a Para P-12 and a Kahr MK40 with the trigger upgrade. I wouldn't get rid of either one but they serve different functions.

The Kahr is my main carry gun presently, either in a pocket holster or a IWB. (I'm like an earlier poster, the weight helps me remember I've got a weapon) I also carry a spare mag in my left pocket. I've never really liked to "fun-shoot" the Kahr, had enough of that during the 200 rd break-in period.:screwy: However, that said, I have no problem depending on the weapon. I had the sights removed, fillers machined and installed in the slots and a shallow groove cut down the top of the slide. (My wife kept carping it about tearing the pockets of my pants out.)

I also carry the P-12, either in a waist bag or a Galco "Miami-Vice" shoulder holster with 2 P-14 mags to balance the weight of the weapon.