Siderlock Safety for Glocks

Marswolf

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any direct experience w/ this thing, but I don't think it's a very good idea. If the part of the lock that prevents trigger movement is metal, and it bears on a plastic part of the frame... well, you can figure out what that could lead to. I guess the guy w/ the G20 will find out if the thing has any weaknesses, being that he is shooting a 10mm. It just looks like a solution looking for a problem to me, kind of like the plugs some folks put in their pistol butts. :D That's just my opinion.

kind of like the plugs some folks put in their pistol butts. :D

They make those plugs with a couple of pins that allow you to take the handgun apart. I had one of those for the G23. Actually quite handy. But I don't know how many people feel comfortable disassembling their handgun past field stripping.

Plugs_Tac_Rack_Plug_w_tool.jpg

Isn't that cavity in the Glock to attach a rifle stock?

I don't really think I (personally) would like it. If you want an external safety

then don't buy a glock. If I owned a glock (which I may may one day) I would no

sooner think of putting it on one than I would think of putting one on a DAO revolver. It defeats the whole design and purpose of the pistol.

I think it is marketed to people who want a glock but the no external

safety is keeping them from getting one. It seems to me that hitting a frame

mounted safety (like on my HK Compact, or any 1911) would be far easier

to "click off" than using my finger inside the trigger guard trying to hit

the saftey button on that trigger, then reposition my finger for the pull.

(IMHO) The trigger finger has one job to do (Unless you also count the clearing of obstructions in the nasal cavity), and it shouldn't enter the trigger guard until sights are on target. Safeties come off (if on) as the weapon is being presented (or right before). With a glock it would stand to reason that messing around inside the trigger guard could lead to accidental discharges in moments of stress. That being said you can train yourself to manipulate anything... it just seems that this would take longer to learn. (Could be worng though.)

As far as the metal against plastic is concerned, I'm surprised that the whole assembly isn't made in metal. I wonder why?

(If you'll excuse me, I'm off to clear a nasal obstruction. :D )

These all sound like good reasons to not use this gadget. With most gun safeties, you can disengage them while the handgun is still in the holster if you like. With this, you have to draw the weapon first and then push the safety to firing condition. I'm not sure that's a good idea.

But, like you Rabbi, I d rather not have a manual safety on my carry gun to even be concerned with.

heh..I have a manual safety on my browning..and I can assure you..it makes no sound when I disengage it.

guess that ruins the plot..but the big noise right after that oh so soft click more than makes up for it....

by the way..how come after someone gets shot in the living room, you never see them installing new carpet?

:slapfight:

Rabbi carries a revolver, so he can cock the hammer, but the rest of you no safety guys, what do you use to make a dramatic clicking noise during key plot points? I suppose you could just repeatedly rack the slide, that seems to work on TV.

I can cock the hammer on two of my carry guns. The P7M8 makes a little noise when you cock it and a big noise when you de-cock it (there are ways around that). Alas my little Kel-Tec BUG is DAO. Quiet unless you pull the trigger fully. :)

You can take a Glock apart w/ a ball point pen if you try, so it's not really for me. The reason for the space and cutout in the Glock back strap is to allow the shooter to reach in and pull a stuck magazine. When one plugs that hole, he may end up causing himself problems. Granted, this is seldom a problem w/ Glocks, but it could happen. :)

Glock® pistols are known for the ease and speed in which the pistol can be fired, and it is those very capabilities that require greater precautions when the pistol is not holstered or not in a position to be safely fired.

willy_nilly.gif This can't be true! Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so.

smilielol5.gif

leaving.gif

I think this addon isn't really needed. If you keep your finger off the trigger the glock does it's job VERY well. I'm probably part of the new miniority but I still like the glock better than anything else I have shot. Even the old xd everyone is switching to. I think with a couple add on parts (threaded barrel, extended slide release and mag release and night sites) Glock really is perfection.

If you keep your finger off the trigger the glock does it's job VERY well.

Job of what… looking ugly? :)

And therein lies the problem. A firearm is useless without being able to put your finger on the trigger. I can do it with all of my handguns without the fear of an ND. (Even my 1911 at condition 0)

I hope it never happens to you, but if it does, know full well that you will be added to the long list of “He must have been inexperienced and pulled the triggerâ€

In a potential deadly force situation my finger will go on the trigger before I make the decision to fire. So I think I’ll stick with the firearms that let me decided when to fire.

And therein lies the problem. A firearm is useless without being able to put your finger on the trigger. I can do it with all of my handguns without the fear of an ND. (Even my 1911 at condition 0)

In a potential deadly force situation my finger will go on the trigger before I make the decision to fire. So I think I’ll stick with the firearms that let me decided when to fire.

I'm having a problem understanding this one, are you saying that the Glock trigger is lighter then your 1911? Or that Glocks spontaneously erupt when the finger is inside the trigger guard?

I'm having a problem understanding this one, are you saying that the Glock trigger is lighter then your 1911? Or that Glocks spontaneously erupt when the finger is inside the trigger guard?

I’m saying that Glocks have a well documented problem with AD/ND (Whatever name you want to use) that other handguns do not have.

According to the Glocksters it is operator error caused by putting your finger on the trigger of a Glock.

Guest Mugster

Yeah, i dunno, maybe.

I will say that when glocks are brought up in a critical light, there is some emotional outcry. I dunno if the pistol deserves the criticism or not, never owned one or shot one enough to form a real opinion beyond what I read.

If you properly use any firearm, your trigger finger stays straight until your ready to fire the weapon. Once ready to fire you can put your finger on the trigger, the gun should already be in the general direction your firing so you won't be running the risk of an accidental discharge. Then you finialize your sighting and squeeze the trigger.

Maybe I'm way off here, but I have owned at least 10 glocks and shot hundreds if not thousands of rounds through them, and even carried one daily for the last 2 years. Never once has it failed me and I doubt it will.

My dad was scared of a glock the first time I showed it to him, he was all there's no safety. Once you understand the 3 safeties the glock has you understand why it's the safest way to allow instant safe-fire advancement.

Again my opinion is glock is perfection. I hope they don't botch that with gen 4, but 1 -3 were true perfection.

I’m saying that Glocks have a well documented problem with AD/ND (Whatever name you want to use) that other handguns do not have.

According to the Glocksters it is operator error caused by putting your finger on the trigger of a Glock.

But your post specifically mentioned an unlocked 1911 as comparison. That's where my confusion originated. It gives the impression that putting the finger on the trigger of any loaded gun is ok as long as it's not an inherently unsafe Glock. I don't think that's a very fair criticism.