Savage Model 24 Over/Under Combo Guns

Sidewinder

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever do a long range gun trade through shipping? I've got someone that wants to trade me his Savage Model 24 (different rifle caliber than mine) for my Savage Model 24S-B. I hope he is legit, as I'm interested in doing the trade, but we can't be too careful these days! To remove the risk factor, I believe we would have to use a reputable, local, FFL... someone like Outpost Armory, to act as an escrow agent. I'm thinking he would have to ship his gun into them, they would hold it and call me to take my gun to them. Once they have confirmed everything is legal and legit, they would ship my gun to him and give me his gun... for the appropriate fees of course.

How does this sound to you guys? Has anyone ever done this before? I'm trying to insure I don't loose my gun, and have nothing to show for it. Your input is appreciated. PM me if you'd rather not do an open post. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Sidewinder
grammar

I have the Savage 24 in 22LR over 410 .... nice gun for coon hunting ....

I believe long guns only ( no pistols ) can be shipped withing the same state ( Tennessee ) from person to person without an FFL holder being involved..

you'd ship to hias address and he ship to yours ...

I have the Savage 24 in 22LR over 410 .... nice gun for coon hunting ....

I believe long guns only ( no pistols ) can be shipped withing the same state ( Tennessee ) from person to person without an FFL holder being involved..

you'd ship to hias address and he ship to yours ...

Thanks for the reply. This individual "is not" in Tennessee. He says he's in one of the western states. I really haven't figured out if he is legit, or is trying to pull a scam on me, yet! I think the only way I'd go along with this is for him to ship his gun to a local FFL, so they could act as an escrow. I would need to inspect the gun there. Before they would give me his gun, I'd have to give them my gun. He has said he will pay all shipping and FFL fees. They could then ship my gun to his FFL. I "do not" want to break any laws, nor do I want to loose a gun in a scam either!

Edited by Sidewinder
spelling

Sorry to be slow in replying, I just now got back to this thread. I'm using Tru-oil. I'm just about finished, hopefully I'll put it back together this weekend. I kept intending to take a few pictures before I started but never did it. But I will take a few pics when it's done. This is the first time I've ever tried to refinish anything, but so far I'm pleased with the way it looks. Definitely better than when I brought it home.

Good choice - I think oil gives a superior finish - both better looking and more durable. I've used both Tru-oil and tung oil and both worked fine.

When I first started this thread, I listed one of my model 24s as a Savage Model 24 S-B. I don't know where I got the "S-B" from, as I recently got the gun out to inspect it, and discovered it is marked on the barrel thusly, "Savage 24 series S". Are there any Savage 24 "experts" on here? If so, would you tell me if there was such a model as the "S-B"? I got it from somewhere... I just didn't make it up in my head, as I had no reason to. Help me out here. This is bugging me, and I'd like to know if there is a Savage 24 S series B. Anyone? Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Sidewinder
punctuation
Wish they'd made a 308 win over a 12g. Talk about a handy gun, that'd be it!!

Caster, you got me into doing some research on Savage24.com, and they did produce some in .308 caliber. The latest was in 1990, and was a .308/12 Ga., I think the model number I have written down is 389. They also made a .308 back in 1975, but I think it may have been on top of a 20 gauge. Not totally sure about that, but there are some .308s out there. I'd like to have one myself.

Edited by Sidewinder
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all who participated and are interested in the Savage Model 24 combination guns.

As a follow up from the concern shown before about a possible scam, it was legit and no scam. The gentleman's name is John Odell, and he's writing a book about the Savage model 24s. In my opinion, he's probably the most knowledgeable person on the Savage 24 forums and discussion groups. I believe he said he owns 40 of the Savage Model 24s, in various calibers and gauges.

In fact, he's writing a book about our beloved Savage 24 over under combo guns! He's supposed to let me know when it's available. I'll let all of you know. This is one gun book you don't want to miss. He's done countless hours of research, and inspected hundreds of 24s. We all need to purchase John's book, as it will be the authoritative word on these guns.

Edited by Sidewinder
spelling!

These are very recent pics of my mother in law's Savage given to her NIB on her wedding in 1954 day by her husband, a recently deceased WWII vet. I didn't look too closely at it other than it has not been fired much, and that is the hang tag that came with it. It's a .22LR/.410. I had a 24DL some years ago myself but someone wanted it worse than I did so I sold it. The beret is mine from a time long ago.

Savage24andthensome.jpg

Savage2422LR410.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing the story and pics of your mother in law's Savage. It's a keepsake she'll cherish the rest of her life, and probably pass on to a grand-kid. Sorry about the loss of her husband. We're loosing them (WWll Veterans) at a great rate these days. They truly were "the greatest generation", and we owe them a tremendous debt of gratitude.

Caster, you got me into doing some research on Savage24.com, and they did produce some in .308 caliber. The latest was in 1990, and was a .308/12 Ga., I think the model number I have written down is 389. They also made a .308 back in 1975, but I think it may have been on top of a 20 gauge. Not totally sure about that, but there are some .308s out there. I'd like to have one myself.

Man! Don't tell me stuff like that! I have enough irons in the financial fire as it is. :)

I'd be interested in the gentleman's book when it's published. I have Murray's book on 99 Savages. It isn't perfect, but it is the most definitive work out there. There's an old saying in Savage collecting: NEVER SAY NEVER! It seems that the folks at the Savage factory were an industrious lot, and used up old parts until they were gone. There isn't any telling how many varitions you may find of the old 24's. I don't have any 24's....yet, but I do have a very nice old 219 in 22 Hornet. It's pretty much a single barrel version.