Few Shots from Colombia

I flew into Bogotá two nights ago and stayed there at a decent hotel. Bogotá struck me as a very cosmopolitan city of enthusiasm and life. The infrastructure would put many US cities to shame. Apparently this isn't just the land of cocaine and coffee.

The next morning morning I got a ride (4 hours) to a little town of 8,000 people, high up in the mountains, called Villa de Leyva. The town was founded in 1572 and exists in all it's colonial beauty, largely unchanged. I haven't seen another tourist here all day.

I got in just in time to do a little wandering. Here's what I'm going to call the "smoking fountain of my friend the dog."

fountain.jpg

This little fountain is in the center of the Plaza Mayor, one of the largest town squares in the Americas. It's 130x130 yards.

square.jpg

Then it was off to a margarita and a terrific fresh fish (from one of the many high altitude lakes nearby) in mango and pimento.

Time is standing still.

The next day brought a little more exploring. First, a very colorful courtyard:

courtyard.jpg

Then, two images from el Convento del Santo Ecce Homo, a Dominican convent founded in 1620. Something about this "faceless" nun, where the last vestiges of her humanity were removed, really struck me:

faceless.jpg

And then the way the light hit this very old couch:

couch.jpg

Finally, two shots from Muisca observatory, from ca. 500 A.D. It's a Stonehenge-like site with about two dozen stone monoliths standing upright, planted in the earth. In this first shot you'll see that they are all in line. The shadows they cast would be measured as a means of determining planting seasons:

row.jpg

It was also ritualistic and symbolic, speaking to the importance of fertility. There are a half dozen very obvious phallic stones (about 25' tall), like this one:

phallic.jpg

Back home today.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest colombianito1021

You are very lucky. I would love to visit Colombia right now. Did you go anywhere else?

I was born in NYC (mom and dad colombian) and grew up alternating one year in colombia and one year in the states. Now i am fluent in both languages. :lol:

You are very lucky. I would love to visit Colombia right now. Did you go anywhere else?

I was born in NYC (mom and dad colombian) and grew up alternating one year in colombia and one year in the states. Now i am fluent in both languages. :)

I didn't. Just those two places.

I grew up in Costa Rica and Guatemala, and also speak Spanish.