.22 Pistol Plinkoff

graycrait

This is a trio of plinkers I am currently comparing. I've tried out plenty of others, including some that most would not call plinkers. These three suit my fancy and the top one made by Austrian Arms is my favorite in terms of balance. It has metal easy to load mags too. Weights without mags or ammo: Austrian Arms ISSC M22 - 20 oz; G17 w/Advantage Arms Conversion 15.2oz; Walther P22 - 15.2oz. The Glock 17 has had its grip cut to allow G19 mags as well as some other grip mods so its weight is slightly less than a typical G17. I don't have any quantitive comparative data only that all 3 are reliable enough for range or field use, but all 3 need hundreds more rounds down range. I'm determined to just use bulk pack ammo in all 3 so it may take me a while to find out which ammo works best in each pistol. Apparently the same guy who designed the Walther designed the Austrian Arms pistol.

plinkoff.jpgm

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most reliable bulk ammo I have found is the Federal stuff. I have had a bunch of duds in both Winchester and Remington's stuff. The only bulk I use is copper dipped. Maybe the lead stuff is different, but I doubt it.

As far as bulk paks go, +1 on the Federal. I too seem to have the best luck with them, followed by Remington and Winchester last.

Guest 1817ak47

I know someone who has a p22 I had to close my eyes when I shot it cause it would send the casings right into my face and sometimes eyes, not sure if that is normal for those or not

I haven't had any luck with any bulk .22 in my Walther. All I've found that will feed reliably is the CCI mini mag, but it runs those perfectly. I considered selling it the first month I had it simply because I had so many missfires and jams, but once I switched to the CCI stuff the walther quickly became one of my favorite pistols to shoot. And yes, it will throw casings in your face occasionally so eye protection is a must.

It’s not a pistol but here is my “Plinkerâ€.

It’s the same basic size and weight as my other .357Mag Smith & Wesson’s. Great for cheap trigger time, it’s extremely accurate, and I don’t have to worry what will feed. :D

SW617003web.jpg

I had alot of problems with my Walther p22 and bulk ammo combo.Tom and Brian at TCGD turned me on to Aguila .22 ammo it stopped all problems.The Aguila .22 ammo has the recoil of a .22 mag or .17 hmr round.

It’s the same basic size and weight as my other .357Mag Smith & Wesson’s. Great for cheap trigger time, it’s extremely accurate, and I don’t have to worry what will feed. :D

SW617003web.jpg

That's what I'm talking about. That is one awesome plinker. My wife has a POS Sig Mosquito. It won't lock back on an empty mag. It constantly jams at least once every mag. So not worth the money.

SW617003web.jpg

See, the problem with this "plinker" being in my posession is it would never leave my safe, LMAO.

Very nice Smith Dave. :shrug:

what about ccl blazer, did it cause problems blazer is cci bulk ammo label or brand if u want to call it that

I think I have only run a handful of blazer through the walther as of now but I plan on putting some downrange this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Winchester Wildcat works well in my P22 Walters. Have some problems with Federal Bulk.

I have not found anything my Sig Mosquito likes.

Don't know if this will help but I take a stroll through the rimfire forums every now and then. I've looked at the mosquito from time to time but haven't found one in my price range, yet. However, while researching them I've seen more than one owner say that the CCI mini mag runs the best in theirs. If I recall though they mentioned something about a different recoil spring helping out too. I still want to add it to the collection down the road. Looks like a well built piece.

A friend bought a LNIB Mosquito a while back. He told me about the incredibly hard trigger pull. I read about that hard trigger pull online. I can't recall if it is common or was fixed in later models. Anyway I took the gun apart, completely, to see if there was anything to be done to fix the trigger pull. I did some spare smoothing of friction bearing surfaces, didn't respring it and the thing had 11lb SA trigger pull.

After having a look at the internals I am surprised to see that the Mosquito wears the Sig name. Nice feel to the gun and if it had a good trigger or yours does have a good trigger, probably a decent plinker. I tell folks to steer clear of them as there are so many pretty good plinkers in the marketplace.

Guest 70below

I've got the P22 and a buddy has the Mosquito. I bought the P22 after hearing that many of the early feed issues were corrected with a new mag design, and after hearing his reports of the Mosquito feeding nothing but Mini-Mags. My P22 works great with Remington Bulk and decent with winchester, it doesn't like Federal though.

I have the P22 and love it very accurate. I gave it the fluff and buff and some loctite. It have never failed with CCI mini mags and for bulk the federal 525 box works well,,, not perfect but well.

Al

I purchased a Walther P22 back in October, mainly for the wife, she used it for the HCP class running mini-mags. I familiarized her with the features and off we go. She had never actually fired it, yet hit all 48 of 48 quite well. It has had another 200 rounds run thru it with NO issues. But again, I've only run mini-mags thru it.

I'm very happy with the gun.

I had a mosquito it felt good in the hand but would only shoot stingers reliably and i tried everything i could think of to make it run and it wouldnt so i got rid of it and bought the best semi auto 22 ever made the beretta model 87 cheetah . The slide feels like its on ball bearings and will shoot anything you put in it with a nice double/ single action trigger. They are just a bit on the expensive side.

Guest Drewsett

I've been looking at a P22 for my wife...I have a Ruger MkII that I really like.

As far as ammo is concerned...I hate the Winchester...the Remington Golden Bullet works pretty well, but my MKII REALLY likes the Federal bulk paks. I've got probably 2k rounds of Federal through my MKII in the last 4 months and not a single FTF/FTE