.22 Pistol Plinkoff

graycrait

Pictured are two more plinkers I like to shoot, but for different reasons. The discontinued S&W 422 is my current "gold standard" in plinkers in terms of fit, feel, weight(20.5oz) and most fun to shoot. The little Bobcat, 1991 version, runs like a little sewing machine. If someone has a 6" 422 or 6" 622 (silver version) and wants to get rid of them let me know. I like the Ruger MK series and Buckmarks, even the S&W 22A, but the discontinued 6" 422 is my favorite all time plinker. Someone mentioned Beretta Cheetah. I don't classify that as a plinker. I would like to shoot one some time though. Another earlier post mentioned the 617. I had a nice shooting 1951 6" pre-Model 5-screw 17 that I no longer have. If I am shooting .22s in a handgun I prefer pistols over revolvers. My all time favorite .22 revolver is the 9 shot simultaneous ejection H&R Sportsman.

Bobcat422.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My P22 will not digest the Federal bulk, always one or two mis-feeds. Mine is an early model, maybe a new mag would help? The Remington bulk runs pretty good and some old wildcat shot well. The Federal doesn't even want to run in my Nylon 66 and it usually shoots anything.

I also can't get my P22 to shoot high enough. I've got the shortest font post mine came with and it still shoots low. Wish I could fix that.

Capbyrd,

My M22 cost me approx: 351.00 OTD as a special order and with military discount.

For that kind of money you could get a used Ruger MKII, fit a new Marvel trigger and Volquartsen sear, do a friction bearing surface buff and likely have a first class shooter. I say that because I have done just that to several MKIIs. However, I like messing around with .22s and for some reason I think the M22 is more fun than the Rugers. The jury is still out on the M22 that is why I haven't brought myself to do a grip job on it like I do on Glocks. I figure to do a grip job on the M22 once I can get another brick or two through it.

Craig

My favorite .22 plinker is a 1930's Iver Johnson .22 Supershot Sealed Eight. It feeds every type of .22 ammo reliably from the neat little Aguila Colibri rounds, shorts, longs, shot, high velocity, low velocity, to the Aguila SSS.

Eight rounds with a smooth double action trigger, or a crisp single-action. Target sights, and reloads nearly as fast as any automatic. Best of all, I got it at a flea market about ten years ago for $75!

The 1930's were the high-water mark of American firearm quality. Name-brand American-made firearms from this period are usually a bargain, and will outlast our lifetimes. I've never seen a worn-out Marlin M39, Remington M121, or Winchester M62. They are destroyed by neglect or mistreatment, but never worn out.

Capbyrd,

My M22 cost me approx: 351.00 OTD as a special order and with military discount.

For that kind of money you could get a used Ruger MKII, fit a new Marvel trigger and Volquartsen sear, do a friction bearing surface buff and likely have a first class shooter. I say that because I have done just that to several MKIIs. However, I like messing around with .22s and for some reason I think the M22 is more fun than the Rugers. The jury is still out on the M22 that is why I haven't brought myself to do a grip job on it like I do on Glocks. I figure to do a grip job on the M22 once I can get another brick or two through it.

Craig

I meant the scar replica. I don't like glocks.