Turkey guns

I know season is still a little ways off, but it's looking like I'm going to take up turkey hunting this year which gives me an excuse for buying a new shotgun. I've been back and forth on which direction I want to go for it, but I know I'm looking for an all camo 12ga. I've about decided on a Remington 870, but I've also thought about just picking up a Mossberg 835 since they are alot cheaper. The 2nd route would also let me go ahead and get started on my squirrel gun project for this next season.

Which way do you folks think I should go on it, and what do you turkey hunters use? I'm leaning toward the 870, but are there some other good shotguns out there for a decent price that I should take a look at first? If you've got any pics post them up if you can. :screwy:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest logicprevails

I use the 835, but either way you'd be good to go. You'll be addicted. I started last year and bagged 2 birds. Totally hooked and could care less about deer hunting, now. Use the Hevi Shot loads.....they really work well.

2009 was my first year turkey hunting. I bought a Remington 870 Super Mag in camo at Academy Sports in Franklin, TN for around $359. It's really a good all around shotgun. I didn't get the turkey gun which was more like $430. It has the shorter barrel and turkey choke included. I picked up a turkey choke at Dick's for around $20. The guy that takes me hunting uses a Mossberg turkey gun with a scope and he's been turkey hunting for 20 years. He always gets 5-6 a year with it combined with his bow.

i've had this 835 for about 3 years and i don't plan on getting rid of it. I also have a 870 with 3" chamber that's a little older. the fit and finish on the 870 is much tighter and if i could do it all over again i would get the 870 super mag.

DSCN1636.jpg

I had a 870 super mag and sold it because the quality just didnt seem to be there and there is realy no need for a 3.5 chamber. They have ruined the newer 870's by putting cast parts in them. That super i had, had a cast pot metal extractor on it. I got a older 870 and put a 21'' barrel on it with rem chokes. I'm a remington fan but i'm leaning more towards the mossbergs after that last remington. I'm thinking about a mossy 930 with 24'' barrel accu-choke.

Lower cost initiative here. Stoeger P-350 with the XFT turkey choke. Courtesy of our own Magiccarpetrides. I only patterned it at 40 yards but I would say 50 is doable with a good rested shot.

These are the low end Benelli's. The only drawback is you will feel the 3.5 inch mags as the poly stock is light!

I'm thinking about a camo paint job but haven't found the time to find someone who can do it well for me. I don't trust myself to do it as there are no lines to stay in!

IMG_0758.jpg

I had a 870 super mag and sold it because the quality just didnt seem to be there and there is realy no need for a 3.5 chamber. They have ruined the newer 870's by putting cast parts in them. That super i had, had a cast pot metal extractor on it. I got a older 870 and put a 21'' barrel on it with rem chokes. I'm a remington fan but i'm leaning more towards the mossbergs after that last remington. I'm thinking about a mossy 930 with 24'' barrel accu-choke.

New Remington quality in the 870's was kinda what I was wondering about. I have several other Mossberg shotguns that I've never had any trouble with, but then again I only have a few long guns at all that have had any problems. This also isn't going to be a gun that gets fired hundreds of rounds per year. I'll probably shoot it a few times to pattern it, and after that it will only be fired maybe once or twice a year. If the quality of the new 870's is close to the same as the Mossberg quality, I will probably end up going with another Mossberg because cost wise the mossy route will allow me to also purchase my squirrel gun project now instead of later, which will aslo in turn allow me to have the spare parts to finish rebuilding another .22 rifle that I'm rebuilding for my step brother.

I was almost dead set on getting a new 870 SPS-T, but now I'm leaning back toward the cheaper route of a Mossy 835. I hate how I do this everytime I get ready to buy a new firearm. I wish I was more of an impulse buyer.

I had a 870 super mag and sold it because the quality just didnt seem to be there and there is realy no need for a 3.5 chamber.

I agree, if it's strictly a turkey gun, then 3.5" is really not that helpful.

The best reason I can think of for the 3.5" chamber is for duck or goose hunting with steel shot. That steel shot can be a pain with its lower density and more flyers. It's nice to have more pellets per round to throw at the bird if they are at a distance. Using Hevi-shot fixes that problem, but that's usually out of my budget. Since there is a limit to the number of shells, it doesn't matter using the longer ones as far as capacity goes.

Now, for turkeys, I use 2 3/4" lead. I don't shoot as much as I do with ducks, so I can afford to load up with Hevi-shot also.

I like my 870, but I don't think anyone would go wrong with the Mossberg either. They are both fantastic shotguns for turkey hunting. I would get the one that felt the best in my hands and on the shoulder. Accessories, barrels and chokes are plentiful for both.

Edited by Batman
Guest BEARMAN

I favor the Mossberg 835 ulti-mag. This is my second one, and haven't had any problems with either of them...new ones advantage camo...turkeys can't see it, they only feel it! BOOM...flop,flop,flop!!! :cool:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definately very nice. I opted to just use one of my other 12ga shotguns for this year, and since my turkey hunting experience kinda got ruined by someone that wasn't suppose to be in the area on more than one occasion I decided to give it up early in the season. I wish there were any places left to hunt where I didn't have to worry about other hunters that just walk around wherever they want without paying any attention to who the land belongs to.

I use a New England Pardner single shot 3 1/2, full choke. All camo. I've had it since the mid 90's. It is very light, so shooting the 3 1/2 mags hurts. I don't like shooting it to often with turkey loads.

I had a single shot 10 gauge with full choke and it hurt when I shot it. I added some lead to the stock and it helped some.

Guest jkent14261

Just got crazy and buy you a 10 gauge! lol promise 50 and 60 yard shots with a pattern master x full choke will lay em down no problem.