To "clear" your house, or hunker down.

Guest Caveman

What kind of bg pulls a "mission impossible" stealthy entrance into your house without you hearing anything and then knocks over a lamp in the dark (bumb in the night) then runs and takes a tactical position behind your recliner and waits for you to come clear the room???? Realistically, when the bg kicks my door in (and it will take him several kicks) yes I will be coming down the stairs armed and ready to fire. If the bg breaks my window and is climbing in through it I will be coming down the stairs armed and ready to fire.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Navy they are SPs (Shore Patrol) in the Army and Air Force they are MPs (Military Police). This guy is an excellent shot with a pistol and he's cocky as hell about it. As I understand it, to clear a house takes a minimum of two well trained people. When the Swat teams do it they are dressed in full body armor, with bullet proof shields and as many men as they can pack through the door. Shock and Awe. You've seen it on TV. The reason they do that is because clearing rooms is a good way to get shot....Like I said. :koolaid: I also realize that defending your castle is up to you. I respect that and may God help any of us who have to deal with an armed intruder.

You make a good point Caveman! The chances of that scenario happening are next to zero. When they break in..."you gotta get plum mad dog mean. Put the iron in the fire. If you get hit, slap hot iron to it. It's the best way to stop the bleedin" Outlaw Josey Wales. There's a lot of truth to that....

Edited by Will Carry
I can spell. I'm a product of a public education.

I'm not sure what is the proper thing to do when someone breaks into your house. But we got broken into back in 1981. The dogs made noise and woke us up. That was thier job. (They were too old to do anything else). I grabed the shotgun chambered a round as I came down the stairs and they got out the back door by about 2 seconds before I let one fly. Called the cops but nothing they could do buy write a report.

My wife was a wreck for a week.

She is a firm believer in having guns in the house. I would do it again.

(I get to get more toys).

In the Navy they are SPs (Shore Patrol) in the Army and Air Force they are MPs (Military Police). This guy is an excellent shot with a pistol and he's cocky as hell about it. As I understand it, to clear a house takes a minimum of two well trained people. When the Swat teams do it they are dressed in full body armor, with bullet proof shields and as many men as they can pack through the door. Shock and Awe. You've seen it on TV. The reason they do that is because clearing rooms is a good way to get shot....Like I said. ;) I also realize that defending your castle is up to you. I respect that and may God help any of us who have to deal with an armed intruder.

You make a good point Caveman! The chances of that scenario happening are next to zero. When they break in..."you gotta get plum mad dog mean. Put the iron in the fire. If you get hit, slap hot iron to it. It's the best way to stop the bleedin" Outlaw Josey Wales. There's a lot of truth to that....

United States Air Force Security Forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

United States Air Force Security Forces (AFSC Enlisted: 3P0XX, formerly 771XX and 811XX; Officer: 31PX), formerly named Air Police (1948), then Security Police (April 1967) are the military police and the air base ground defense forces of the United States Air Force. Following completion of basic training, airmen in this career field go through 13 weeks of technical training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, with the 343rd Training Squadron, known as the Security Forces Academy.

Air Force Security Police : Welcome to Air Force Security Police.com

USAF: Air Police History Pages!

Non Technical Careers - Officer Opportunities in the U.S. Air Force - AirForce.com

Seems they haven't been referred to as MPs since they left the Department of The Army, and they have mainly divided into security guards and law enforcement with the latter referred to as SPs.

Why do I make this point? Because there are too many falsely claiming to be something they're not in the military, and as a former Marine and police officer it is highly suspect when someone claims to have been trained to clear anything by their self. If someone has been trained in such things and wants to play the odds that's their business, but they shouldn't try to claim that they were trained that way unless they went to ;)-grade class.

This is not intended as a slam against you, but rather against your friend.

This topic is exactly why I have an alarm system. As I tell my wife, I don’t have the system for the monitoring, I have it for the alarm.

I don’t believe in motions sensors. If you have movement, they are already in the house. I have all the doors and windows wired with open sensors. The most obvious points of entry on my house all have sensors. Front and back doors, lower doors, any windows of standing height etc. If one of those moves a faction of an inch, it sounds like there is a squad car in my living room.

I would "hope" at that point the perp would flee.

United States Air Force Security Forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

United States Air Force Security Forces (AFSC Enlisted: 3P0XX, formerly 771XX and 811XX; Officer: 31PX), formerly named Air Police (1948), then Security Police (April 1967) are the military police and the air base ground defense forces of the United States Air Force. Following completion of basic training, airmen in this career field go through 13 weeks of technical training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, with the 343rd Training Squadron, known as the Security Forces Academy.

Air Force Security Police : Welcome to Air Force Security Police.com

USAF: Air Police History Pages!

Non Technical Careers - Officer Opportunities in the U.S. Air Force - AirForce.com

Seems they haven't been referred to as MPs since they left the Department of The Army, and they have mainly divided into security guards and law enforcement with the latter referred to as SPs.

Why do I make this point? Because there are too many falsely claiming to be something they're not in the military, and as a former Marine and police officer it is highly suspect when someone claims to have been trained to clear anything by their self. If someone has been trained in such things and wants to play the odds that's their business, but they shouldn't try to claim that they were trained that way unless they went to ;)-grade class.

This is not intended as a slam against you, but rather against your friend.

They were divided for a time, but now they have ONE career field that does both LE and security functions. I think the driver behind the change to the Security Forces name was that Law Enforcement and Security are both functions of Security of an airbase. Its really semantics.

They were divided for a time, but now they have ONE career field that does both LE and security functions. I think the driver behind the change to the Security Forces name was that Law Enforcement and Security are both functions of Security of an airbase. Its really semantics.

EDIT: My information is based on 1979 when I was considering the Air Force. Things do change. I still question that a professional organization would train someone to clear anything by their self.

Edited by SWJewellTN
Guest Paulie771

Just my wife and I in our house. We bunker down in the main bedroom. Have two door ways to go through to get to us, and they have a great view on front door foyer and the entire living room. We don't give that position up until the dog is back wagging his tail and all is quiet. Then we clear the house.

As you can tell. I was not in the military. I broke a long family tradition of military service. My father fought in the Pacific in WWII as a rifleman with the Army. My Great Grandfather, Isaac Mason, served in Lumsden's Battery, 2nd Alabama Light Artillery, Army of Tennesse.

I was 18 in 1974 and decided to go to school instead of serve my country. I did register for the draft.

This guy at work I'm talking about did serve in the Air Force. I may not have told it correctly in my post. It's not the first time I have gotten tha facts mixed up. Thanks for the reply.

Living by myself as I do, I'd be in the back of my walk-in closet with a cell phone in one hand (calling 911) and a .357 in the other.

If I had kids that would be a different story.

Me too. Fortunately, from the closet, I have a perfect view of the top of the stairs. Any BG who gets upstairs will be very unhappy. I hope the blaring alarm prevents that though. If not, he must be very determined or have lots of backup, and I pray never to have that kind of enemy inside the gates. I don't think I have an adequate defense plan against a suicide hit-squad. :)

If I called the police every time I have been awakened by a strange noise at night they would probably just quite coming. I'd be known as that old fool who lives out off xxxxxx road in the woods and hears noises every night. It is more likely the dear wife who hears the noises now and she awakens me.........Both our firearms located with in reach.

But seriously, it is the big black dog that sleeps in our bedroom that is our early warning system whether it be to let us know there is a deer at the bird feeder, a coyote or fox running through the clearing or a coon on the deck. In the event of a BG breaking into the house he would be greeted by 90 lbs of German Shepherd tooth and paw. She would very possibly be sacrificed as the first responder to any intrusion. In the rare event the dog seems overly upset and is pacing I have gotten up and "cleared" the house accompanied by the black dog, knowing full well that if someone were in the house or trying to get into the house she would alert me to the point of interest. IMO, I live in an area that is isolated and I feel quite secure.

oldogy

We've had German Shepherd for the past 40 plus years and I have always felt comfortable knowing they would alert me to any intrusion.

Edited by oldogy
addition
Guest manofsteel

I know the lay out of my house better than any BG would. No kids living at home. Dog would go nuts before they got in anyway. But yes i would "clear my house". If someone was hiding well....... lets just say walls can be repaired.

Guest Drewsett
We also have a two story house with all the bedrooms upstairs. One way up. The way my stairs are, there isn't any open space. It's completely surrounded by walls. I would be prone at the top of the stairs with a 12 gauge aimed at the bottom. There is no way a BG could shoot me before I shot him. I would maintain position while waiting on the police.

I too am of this mentality...to get to anyone in my house the BG would have to come upstairs and that ain't gonna happen. The only thing I worry about is that I am a heavy sleeper, so I definitely need to invest in a loud security system of some sort.

• 1 month later...
Guest smileyguy

Hey Will. I believe you know my position from an earlier thread. Hunker down! The posibility of being out numbered is VERY likely. An attempted home invasion in Knoxville last fall involved 5 intruders. I am compentent with my firearms, but I don't like those odds. I don't care how good someone is or thinks they are, 5 to 1 ain't good. Even 2 to 1 ain't good, and these thugs usually travel in packs. Very good chance of gettin' yourself killed, and once your out of the equation, well it ain't good news for the rest of the family.

The exception: The guy with kids. If I had kids I would go bring them to the defensive position in the bedroom. Then hunker down.

As far as dogs go, that pit mix pictured in my avatar did nothing but crap :D all over my house when it was broken into last year. Sweet he is, a guard dog he is not. Wouldn't trade him for anything though.

Guest smileyguy
"Even 2 to 1 ain't good, and these thugs usually travel in packs."

That's why my wifey works the SIG so well.

lol....What if it's 5 to 1. Better start having kids and train them well.:up:

I would clear my house while wife and daughter hide . I also have a 70 pound mean a$$ boxer in the house . To me I would rather go out with a fight than coward in a corner . No affence to anyone but that is the way I see it . Hell I have went cayote hunting at night alone . To me that is more dangerus .IMHO

Guest smileyguy
I would clear my house while wife and daughter hide . I also have a 70 pound mean a$$ boxer in the house . To me I would rather go out with a fight than coward in a corner . No affence to anyone but that is the way I see it . Hell I have went cayote hunting at night alone . To me that is more dangerus .IMHO

No offense taken, but I couldn't disagree more. You may think it cowardly, but if you get killed going down in a fight, what happens to your wife and daughter? Not a plesant thought is it? It's not about being a coward or being macho. It's about being smart and living to protect you wife and your daughter. You and your boxer may take out 1 armed bad guy. What about 2 or 3 or more? I doubt it. Even in the very unlikely event that you could defeat multiple armed men, you have to remember that bullets go through walls. Even if these guys can't hit a barn, when a gun fight starts bullets are gonna be flying all around a house in which your wife and daughter are hiding. That's pretty risky!

No offense, but coyotes are more dangerous than armed men? Seriously? Are coyotes even dangerous to anything other than small dogs and cats?

The exception: The guy with kids. If I had kids I would go bring them to the defensive position in the bedroom. Then hunker down.

Tough to do in a home with the master down and kid's rooms up...