To "clear" your house, or hunker down.

Guest SUNTZU
We went over this in my Personal Protection in the Home instructor training.

no one liked my idea of clearing the rooms with flash-bangs or CS

I'd play as long as we can switch up roles.

Throw an activated can of Raid fogger down the stairs and let em hack and cough at least.

I liked it, I just don't have access to either. lol. :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Situations differ. So do people. I've been there. 1980. Single intruder. In as normal a voice as I could muster, I told wifey to get her gun, that I had mine. Rolled her off her side of the bed. Hit the floor on my side / door side of bedroom. Crawled to hallway door, screamed "HALT" (and tried to keep my voice from squeeking).

Heard the "thump thump thump" of running feet (I think ... might have been my heart). After a few seconds (seemed like a couple hours), crawled into hallway, peeked around corner, and heard ... nothing. Got up, called the S.O. (back before 911), and checked the house. Didn't sleep anymore that night.

Next day, got two dogs. One inside, one outside, as deterrents and alarms. Learned to distinguish their sounds (from another dog/animal or human). Added a security system -- not an alarm system, but a security system. Upgraded it several times since then. State of the art now.

Don't say you won't clear your house. If S.O. takes as as long as they did that night to arrive (and they had a long way to come), you might get froggy enough ... or fearful enough ... to clear it yourself. I did. Hope and pray to God I never have to do it again.

Never caught the dirtbag. He never came back, though.

Situations differ. So do people. I've been there. 1980. Single intruder. In as normal a voice as I could muster, I told wifey to get her gun, that I had mine. Rolled her off her side of the bed. Hit the floor on my side / door side of bedroom. Crawled to hallway door, screamed "HALT" (and tried to keep my voice from squeeking).

Heard the "thump thump thump" of running feet (I think ... might have been my heart). After a few seconds (seemed like a couple hours), crawled into hallway, peeked around corner, and heard ... nothing. Got up, called the S.O. (back before 911), and checked the house. Didn't sleep anymore that night.

Next day, got two dogs. One inside, one outside, as deterrents and alarms. Learned to distinguish their sounds (from another dog/animal or human). Added a security system -- not an alarm system, but a security system. Upgraded it several times since then. State of the art now.

Don't say you won't clear your house. If S.O. takes as as long as they did that night to arrive (and they had a long way to come), you might get froggy enough ... or fearful enough ... to clear it yourself. I did. Hope and pray to God I never have to do it again.

Never caught the dirtbag. He never came back, though.

That would scare the crap out of me. My biggest fear is the fact that I can sleep through anything. I keep both bedroom doors locks because I figure if they kick those in, it will be loud enough to wake me up. That's the idea anyways.

As to whether I would clear the house? I would think that I probably would but I hope I never have to.

Didn't crap myself. Might have peed a little. Figured that anyone who'd come into our house with us in it would have no problem with harming or killing us. Wifey was ready to move. That night. But ... ... time passes, and dogs and security systems were added. Children came along ... and went their own way. Just us again now.

One thing that changed that night. I now know that EVERYONE needs to know how to defend themselves, and not just the big, brave "man of the house." Don't think that wifey would have allowed me to stay hidden behind the bed with her (and I actually thought seriously about that very thing). She's quite good with the .38 that she keeps on the nightstand, but it's my place to protect her (and she reminds me of that whenever she hears a noise or sees a bug). She finally broke down this year and got her HCP. Young'uns already have theirs. Don't know why she so suddenly decided to carry, but I'm glad she finally came around to that decision.

Last thought: Once I get within the walls of my humble abode, I can't retreat any further. Anyone tries me at home gets my best shot, so to speak. God willing, I'll still be standing ... and he won't.

the only way it would work is if you had a group of members that were single and trusted each other. then you give everybody a key to the others house and say in a 1 month period one or two of them invades the others house at night, completely unexpected.

thats the only way to be realistic and its not very smart either.

Would not be a good idea . The person getting the supprise attack would probably going for his real gun not the paintball one. Not knowing it was members comming in , thats what I would do .The other day late in the evening , the UPS man beat on my back door ( and beat hard ) . He did not like the way I answered the door . Cocked locked and ready . I explained to him this is out in the sticks , and he should knock like a normal person .

Guest smileyguy
Surely you don't think that test could simulate any situation outside of an ATF raid or the like. Real BG's don't have range time, aren't military or LEO's, and they don't expect a guy to come out of a room prepared to shoot them.

It would be fun to try though.

Real BGs don't have range time? Where I grew up we didn't even have ranges. We went out in the country and were taught to shoot at a very young age. I know for a fact that some of the jailbirds I grew up with are very good with guns.

Edited by smileyguy
Guest smileyguy
the only way it would work is if you had a group of members that were single and trusted each other. then you give everybody a key to the others house and say in a 1 month period one or two of them invades the others house at night, completely unexpected.

thats the only way to be realistic and its not very smart either.

I didn't literally mean we surprise someone in the middle of the night. Agree with other posters that would be VERY dangerous. Of course you couldn't get an exact simulation, but you could get some sort of approximation another way. The point is I think the outnumber "clearer" is gonna get shot almost every time.

There's a difference between entering and clearing a house occupied by badguys, and being the one in the house being entered by badguys... I would never try to enter and clear a house by myself, but I'd say the odds are in my favor working from the inside of my home, out, since I'll have a good idea where they will be coming from.

Figured that anyone who'd come into our house with us in it would have no problem with harming or killing us.

And it is this very thought that would make me at least consider taking the fight to them rather than letting them get us cornered, etc.

There's a difference between entering and clearing a house occupied by badguys, and being the one in the house being entered by badguys...

I also agree with this statement.

Guest SUNTZU

I'm installing a new detterent to keep criminals from entering my home.

a3598c0e.jpg

Now they know that I have nothing and soon we'll all be sharing our nothing together equally.

Guest smileyguy
There's a difference between entering and clearing a house occupied by badguys, and being the one in the house being entered by badguys... I would never try to enter and clear a house by myself, but I'd say the odds are in my favor working from the inside of my home, out, since I'll have a good idea where they will be coming from.

I'd say the odds were in one's favor while in there own home fending off 1 intruder. Those odds quickly go in the other direction as more intruders are added into the mix, and it is almost always more than 1.

On the other hand, one still has great odds of defending one point of entry against multiple intruders.

I'm installing a new detterent to keep criminals from entering my home.

a3598c0e.jpg

Now they know that I have nothing and soon we'll all be sharing our nothing together equally.

:up::bowrofl::D

Guest LieutenantDan67

We rent a home, master down, and two boys upstairs.

Two doors in, but one is right next to the dog's kennel. We lock our bedroom door.

If the dog starts going off with her 'stranger' bark in the middle of the night, 911 gets dialed immediately and our bedside pistols are in our hands, and we're on either side of the bed on the floor.

Then it gets tricky.

The dog will be going absolutely nuts barking in her cage at the BG(s). If she doesn't scare them off (and her 'mean' park is scary; half-wolf, half husky) then I pretty much have to go out the bedroom door to protect the boys upstairs somehow.

So wife would have cell phone w/911 on, her M&P9c or her 1911 in her other hand, and I'd have my Glock and grab the 870. Boys know to immediately hide in their closets in the event of this type of situation; maybe I should put baseball bats in the closets too.

I'd say the odds were in one's favor while in there own home fending off 1 intruder. Those odds quickly go in the other direction as more intruders are added into the mix, and it is almost always more than 1.

On the other hand, one still has great odds of defending one point of entry against multiple intruders.

And on the other other hand, maybe one shot fired and/or one guy hit would be enough to send them all runnin.

It's not so hard to come up with a plan on what to do in your situation, clear house or whatever, but more difficult to plan on, what if they get the drop on you? I mean, what if they come in your bedroom, turn on the light and have a gun on you. What will you do? How will you respond? Will you draw? obey? If you have a gunsafe, as I do, they will want it opened.

It's hard to be prepared for all situations that may unfold in a burglary or home envasion, however it may be wise to think on as many angles as we can.

If you're caught with your pants down (so to speak), the situation ain't gonna end well ... for you. They will get what they want, even if it's over your dead body.

That's the purpose of the security system, motion-sensing lights, and two dogs -- one inside the house, one outside.

An early warning system is, IMHO, a necessity. Just my :blush:

Guest SUNTZU
It's not so hard to come up with a plan on what to do in your situation, clear house or whatever, but more difficult to plan on, what if they get the drop on you? I mean, what if they come in your bedroom, turn on the light and have a gun on you. What will you do? How will you respond? Will you draw? obey? If you have a gunsafe, as I do, they will want it opened.

It's hard to be prepared for all situations that may unfold in a burglary or home envasion, however it may be wise to think on as many angles as we can.

You need to make it where they CAN'T come into your room and wake you up with a gun on you. If it gets to that point its root hog, or die time. Or at least go out fighting or whimpering depending on your take of the situation.

Guest smileyguy

And on the other other hand, maybe one shot fired and/or one guy hit would be enough to send them all runnin.

What if one shot one guy hit is you?

Guest LieutenantDan67
What if one shot one guy hit is you?

Then they'll have to deal with the wrath of my Filipino/Hawaiian wife that is a BETTER shot than me! :D

But seriously, we can't just hole up and leave the boys upstairs...gotta go out of the bedroom gun up during a break in.

One thing...if he/they break in and just beeline for the upstairs, I can let the dog go up there first to distract/attack them at least.

So many scenarios...it's good to try to consider every one of them.

You need to make it where they CAN'T come into your room and wake you up with a gun on you. If it gets to that point its root hog, or die time. Or at least go out fighting or whimpering depending on your take of the situation.

I am not so naive to believe that it CAN'T happen to me. I have tried to protect my farm and my home the best I can with cameras, security systems and common sense. I know from first hand experience that some bad guys are very clever, but thats another topic. I want to be prepared for the worst, and all situations that I can.

As for the topic, No.....I am not checking out a disturbance. I have done that before and it was nothing, but I realized how stupid I acted. My wife and I do have a plan and I feel everyones situation may be different.

Edited by huntingman
  • 2 weeks later...

Defenseposition.jpg

(this picture will be deleted soon)

As you can see from the hall way I have a defensive position for all main points of entry from the back door in the laundry to the front door in the living room. I will be able to clear my childrens rooms and get them to safety in my room while maintaining cover.

We have a 3 stage early warning system

Trixie the mighty (LOUD) Chihuahua.MAX the Springer Spaniel old but barks every time she does.

Colby the trusty Golden Retriever. Hates new people

My wife armed in the Master Bedroom

And me holding defense with the PO-PO on the phone

If for some reason a break in happens originating from the kids rooms darn right I'm clearing THAT room otherwise im holding a defensive position in the hallway . If the BG's are in the house already and the children have not had the opportunity to come to my bed room the kids are under instruction to lay flat on the floor and be quiet unless the BG's enter their rooms then they are to scream loudly then I will be forced to confront the intruder .