questions from new girl

Guest smturner99

Guest tdillehay

This really has nothing to do with this thread but i will have to say this group has some of the finest group of ladies & gentlemen i have seen in an internet group. Welcome smturner99 & t/y all for allowing me to join. The advice is excellent, I am very comfortable with my wife & children reading what is here.

that is saying something because of the material that can be found elsewhere.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomhower
This really has nothing to do with this thread but i will have to say this group has some of the finest group of ladies & gentlemen i have seen in an internet group. Welcome smturner99 & t/y all for allowing me to join. The advice is excellent, I am very comfortable with my wife & children reading what is here.

that is saying something because of the material that can be found elsewhere.

I agree fully. Some of the advice that I have received from these guys is the best anyone can ask for. And having these monthly get together's is even better. I've learned far more than I ever expected when being around some of these guys......and I agree as well with allowing my loved ones to follow the advice that is given on this board. A lot of what you read is an opinion, but those same opinions give me an idea of what I need to look for, and things that I've never even thought about to begin with that are very relevant.

If you are "very very new to guns" as you stated, and are planning on carrying a handgun on your person while walking your four legged babies, I would recommend that you contact Phantom6 (Mike) here on the board. He is a handgun carry permit/NRA instructor based in Oak Ridge. His permit class is Incorporated into an NRA basic pistol class.

I will second this. Mike Crow is dedicated as well as an excellent teacher. he can not only coach you on your shooting, but teach you when you need to shoot as well. I recommend taking his home defense safety course as it incorporates both home defense and meets the prerequisites for your carry permit. so you get extra training for about a difference of 20-30 dollars.

As for a gun, and as others have mentioned, I'm sure a few of us from Knoxville could round up several handguns of all sizes for you to look at and shoot. The most important thing is that you buy something that you will practice and that you are comfortable with. Otherwise, you will never use it.

I can honestly say that this won't be a problem. between myself and my wife Julie, we own at LEAST 4 pistols..it fluctuates between 4 and 8 or 9 at any given time..I recommend you get her to come in december..she can bring out her .45's and a couple of 9mm's..like my browning hi power...you can try them all as well.

make no mistake, you've come to the right place if you wish to find folks to train you in the use of firearms and in that particular martial art, as well as give you CORRECT and informed information on the laws concerning carrying a firearm.

(have you noticed there are a LOT of police officers named art?...grin)

as for obtaining said firearm...I don't think you'll have a problem..we're all a little in love with things that go boom... and we sell and trade all the time.

look around, get to know some of these guys and gals..you'll learn allot! I do all the time and I've carried or used firearms for over 20 years.

Guest smturner99

I cannot tell a lie...I want a gun for protection.

I think I have a shady character hanging around. This is a really safe apartment complex in a nice area but I think there is someone that is less than trustworthy.

I've heard him outside my window a few times and the next day I would find things that showed someone was there in the flower bed under my window (I'm on the first floor).

Anyway, one of my girlfriend's, Nicole, came over and pulled in one day after dark and turned her car off and the lights off but she stayed sitting in the car because she was on the phone. She was finishing her phone conversation before getting out but her lights were off and the car was off.

Anyway, as she was sitting there in the dark and this guy walked right down the walkway and stepped up next to my living room window and "watched" for a few minutes. She said he was moving his head kind of back and forth and side to side like he was trying to see in through blinds. When Nicole saw what was going on she turned her car lights back on and he ran off real fast and then Nicole came right in and told me what happened. I wish we had called 911 but we didn't.

Anyway, I've heard him (or them??) outside my bedroom window (when it cooled off enough to sleep with the window up) really late at night, like 12:30 or 1:30 - or later - times when I was asleep but woke up. I don't know if he was on his cell phone or what?? I'm not sure. I think it was a 'conversation'. I think there was more than one but my landlord says it was just someone walking by my window on their cell phone.

Obviously I stopped sleeping with my window open.

Also, I have some flowers I bought and a watering can that I put outside in the flower garden and it has been moved (by someone other than me).

I KNOW, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, SOMEONE HAS BEEN IN MY GARDEN which is right under my windows. I just don't know if it is the same person or different people or what.

I went to Gander Mountain a few weeks ago and bought some Pepper Spray for my key chain but I still think maybe I should get a gun to put in my coat pocket when I walk dogs after dark.

My landlord INSISTS there has NEVER EVER been any problems in this complex and that no one else has ever said anything else about this or anything even close to this. EVER - very insistent. Which may be true. She said I probably just heard someone late at night walking their dog and they were on their cell phone and that is what I heard. But she has no comment or explanation for what Nicole saw. And of course she thinks that I am just being paranoid about the watering can and flower pots that are moved.

Now it is 6:00 in the evening and it is already completely dark out. So I load up the dog leash, pepper spray and I have a flashlight (maybe I can throw it at them - I bought a really heavy duty one at Walmart).

Last Thursday the light mounted on the building to light the way between my building and the building next to me was out. I did call and report it and they fixed it THAT VERY DAY.

I think I need a good reliable gun that is easy to use for a non-gun person like me.

I think those with the "hammer" on the outside might get stuck in my pocket or something. I think I should stay away from the "hammers".

But I don't think it matters about it being small - at Gander Mountain the guy kept saying things about if I get one that is too big I won't be able to conceal it - but does that really matter? Do I have to 'conceal it'? Maybe if they know I have it then they won't bother me, you know?

Besides, my pockets are nice size.

I think I could put it in my pocket and not wear gloves and keep the gun kind of in my hand and ready. Because when it is cold out I wear gloves and I think it would be harder to try to use a gun with gloves.

Should I be looking at "single action only" versus "dual action" or do you think that matters?

I think it is more important that I get one that has no hammer on the outside and that is big with lots of bullets.

But I want one that has a big handle and easy to keep my hand on. I hate those little ones.

And do you think I should get one with a laser pointer on it? The guy at the store made the point that if I was in a hurry and not able to point the gun and look through the sights I could just fire the gun from where it is and look at the laser light even if the gun is down next to my side or I'm laying on my side or some other strange position.

So, what do you think of those?

Thanks for all your opinions, I know you guys aren't trying to sale me something like the guys at the store. I think the laser thing sounds good, but I don't know a lot about them. Do you guys have them? Do you think they are good for a non-professional shooter like me?

thank you,

Sarah

Guest Steelharp
I would not get a single action only unless you planned on spending a lot of time training. SAOs (single action only tend to be gun people guns.

Add, at this point, it doesn't sound like you have the luxury of training time. This sounds like the "threat" (I use quotes because it isn't direct... yet) could be more imminent in nature.

Guest smturner99

so single action only ones are for "gun experienced" people is what you are saying?

Are there any dual action that don't have the exposed hammer

- I really don't want that hammer there

- what if I wanted to pull the trigger with it still in my pocket or what if I tried to pull it out of my pocket fast (which is most likely I think?)

Guest Steelharp

Sounds like a hammerless revolver might be the best choice; fires from inside the pocket, too. But if this yahoo's at your window... that's when you need a shotgun, when he's trying to come in. The revo would be for when you're out of the apartment.

Guest Mugster

Yeah, there are some issues with SAO style semi-automatics or even SAO revolvers like an old colt six shooter.

People like to carry DAO style handguns (made famous by glock) because you can carry it with a round in the chamber and it takes a bit more of a trigger pull to fire a round. When you get excited, you'll be surprised how your perception changes. In theory, you can drop a SAO style of handgun and it might go off depending on how it hits the ground. A DAO or (DA first shot /SA after the first shot is fired) is a bit more forgiving in terms of handling, carry, and unloading one with a round in the chamber.

Perhaps you should look at a glock. There are quite a few police departments that choose that pistol for alot of the reasons i mentioned. They are lightweight and easy to shoot with a lot of firepower. I don't personally own one nor have i ever, but i'm sure some of the other board members would give you some trigger time. Probably 9mm might be a caliber suggestion. S&W has a similar pistol in its M&P series that is very similar and seems like a good shooting piece.

Guest canynracer

My opinion...

first, let your apartment managers know and get it on file.

Then buy a gun. Buy something you will eventually be able to carry. a small revolver or a compact 9mm.

I am assuming you live alone...if you do, have your gun with you in your home, dont leave it in a closet while you are in the living room, have it ready.

Then, go to this site http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgunmain.htm

get your permit.

then carry your gun everywhere you go.

In the meantime, you should have a minimum of pepper spray, or some form of self defense until you can legally carry your gun.

Guest smturner99

Dear Steelharp,

Twice you have said to get a shotgun...at first I thought you were kidding because I can't carry a shotgun walking the puppies, but since you've said it twice I guess you mean it.

So I should seriously look for a shotgun? Why are those good?

Are those pretty easy to use? They are so big.

Guest Verbal Kint
My opinion...

first, let your apartment managers know and get it on file.

Then file a police report on what has been happening, and what your girlfriend saw. If they don't bump up patrols in the area, then there will at least be a formal record/complaint that a perp has been "peeping" in your windows and hanging around after dark.

Then, go to this site http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgunmain.htm

Get your permit. Then carry your gun everywhere you go.

In the meantime, you should have a minimum of pepper spray, or some form of self defense until you can legally carry your gun.

Added my advice to the above list.

The most important thing that I can suggest, after reading your posts, is to get educated on firearms and shooting practices in general. You seem really shaken up, rightfully so, but it is obvious that it is effecting your judgement. Wanting to shoot from inside your pocket isn't the best idea... along with likely not hitting your target, it's not very safe to your own person or anyone else that might be in your surrounding area. You never want to pull that trigger unless you're sure where the bullet is going to go... and it's nowhere near as easy to shoot "from the hip" as Hollywood would lead you to believe.

I'm not bashing you at all, but it's clear that you aren't very familiar with handguns or the appropriate tactics involved in using them. I can't stress enough how important and beneficial it would be for you to take a carry permit class. In addition, get together with some of the people from TGO (at the next get-together or whenever) and have them introduce you to the Do's and Don'ts of shooting. There's a wealth of knowledge here and everyone is more than happy to teach you.

You've asked a lot of good questions, that leads me to believe you are definitely on the right path and eager to learn... but there's a clear lack of knowledge present in your thinking and rationality. You may be pressed for time, in regards to formal training, but you need to get with someone and have them teach you the basics at the range.

However, I would do everything possible... and keep pushing the point... before resorting to that gun. Get one anyway, and be prepared to use it... but keep on your landlord about this issue. Inform the police and file a complaint. Ask other neighbors if they've had similar encounters. Make it publicly known that there is a problem. If there's enough attention drawn to this issue, then most times the landlord will go out of their way to safeguard against it (more lighting, cameras, heightened security patrols, etc). You might also want to look into getting cameras for your apartment, or at least setting up a make-shift system to record the area of interest.

Guest Verbal Kint
Dear Steelharp,

Twice you have said to get a shotgun...at first I thought you were kidding because I can't carry a shotgun walking the puppies, but since you've said it twice I guess you mean it.

So I should seriously look for a shotgun? Why are those good?

Are those pretty easy to use? They are so big.

Shotguns are probably your best defensive weapon for inside your house. Easy to use in light or dark, less precision aiming involved, racking the slide is a huge audible deterrant in itself, the round makes a big hole in whatever you shoot. They're pretty idiot-proof as far as guns go.

However, you definitely don't want to be carrying one around outside. As well as not being practical at all, it would definitely be drawing way too much unneeded attention. Get a handgun for outside use, and get a carry permit to go with it.

Guest ETS_Inc

On the subject of lasers:

In my opinion, lasers on handguns are great training tools. They can also be effective for close-in shooting. However, they come with risks. The biggest risk is the fact that they are battery powered, and batteries can fail. If your batteries fail when you need them the most, and you haven't practiced with your iron sights, you could be in big trouble. A much less important risk is the fact that the laser not only points from you to your target, it also points back to you. If you're firing as soon as your laser hits the target and that's the only target, you're good to go. But, if you're not firing, or there are multiple targets, it might not be so good.

Now, why would someone illuminate their laser without firing? Most likely: it was an accident. Crimson Trace grips need just a small amount of pressure to activate the laser. If your adrenaline is spiking and you put a death grip on the gun, reflexively, you might light up the laser.

If you are going to use a laser, don't rely on it and only it. Practice using your iron sights. The fundamentals are too important to be replaced by technology. Also, you should practice point shooting. At contact distances, it is very easy to hit a man-sized target without necessarily aiming.

Try this exercise: pick an easily identifiable spot across the room, such as a clock. Close your eyes, and while your eyes are closed, point at the target. Open your eyes and look down your arm. I'd wager your finger is pointed very close to where you wanted it to be, right?

Your handgun should be an extension of your hand. Your bullets are nothing more than very small, very fast moving fists being thrown at your target. This is one advantage of indexing your trigger finger alongside the frame of your gun: it becomes more natural to point your gun at the target without the need to aim, per se; because your natural instinct to point your finger takes over.

Guest Steelharp

Sarah, I suggested a shotgun because of you saying this person or persons have been looking into your apartment. Going on that, and thinking of a possible invasion scenario, the shotgun would be a surer ticket. NOT for walking around with, however. You should have a handgun for that. From you saying that you may need to fire from your pocket, a hammerless revolver is best suited for that purpose. Nothing to drag or snag, and no ejected shell casing to get stuck in an auto's ejection port in your pocket and disabling the gun. Just keep pulling the trigger.

I am very serious about the shotgun, but ONLY in your apartment.

Guest Boomhower

Wow....that's more info than I expected to see. I didn't know your situation was like that. Seriously, if you would like to talk with someone personally and get some range time, ask and ye shall receive. A few local guys can help you out almost instantly, and I assure you that you will feel much better about having, buying and carrying a handgun. As stated above, it is very serious business, and you are ultimately responsible for each and every bullet fired from the handgun you are holding. Awareness of everything around you and your threat must be considered as well.

Guest smturner99

First of all, I want to thank you all very much. I mean that sincerely.

I know you have mentioned a few times about meeting in person, but I think maybe I shouldn't do that. I really don't mean to offend you, I'm sure you are honorable, all of you, I just don't feel comfortable with that. I think it is better if you don't know my last name or where I live or other personal information. A girl can never be to sure, you know? Please don't be offended.

But I do appreciate all your help and information. I've already learned a lot. Especially about the laws, I didn't know about getting a gun or anything. Also, I never even thought about getting a shotgun, which now I think that I will. But I need to learn about them.

I really like the advice about closing your eyes and pointing your finger at a clock or something. I already did it and IT WORKS! I was surprised. That was really good instruction.

I did it in my living room and my bedroom with several things, shelves on the wall, basket on the dresser, dvd player and tv, vase of flowers and other things and I ended up pointed at it every time!

Do you have anything like that with the shotgun?

About the police report - can I still do that? Do Nicole and I just go to the police station and tell them everything even though nothing has happened this week? Can they do anything now?

Guest Verbal Kint

I know you have mentioned a few times about meeting in person, but I think maybe I shouldn't do that. I really don't mean to offend you, I'm sure you are honorable, all of you, I just don't feel comfortable with that. I think it is better if you don't know my last name or where I live or other personal information. A girl can never be to sure, you know? Please don't be offended.

We're all pretty hard to offend... so no harm done. :D

I think most of the people here, aside from the East TN get-together which is an informal gathering of several members, were referring to meeting you at a local public range with other people around and giving you some trigger time. But I know what you're saying, and it definitely boils down to what you're comfortable with. I'd strongly suggest enrolling in a class then, or calling around to ranges and see if they have staff available to work with you on the basics of shooting. Most gun stores, if they have a range accessible, will gladly show you how to work your new gun if you purchase one from them. Regardless of how you do it, you need to get some formal training. It will be invaluable to yourself and others around you -- especially at your novice level.

I would recommend contacting Phantom6, however, since he's offered his services in a professional setting -- as he is a certified instructor and runs his own business. Maybe he has an upcoming class... or one of the all-female classes even.

About the police report - can I still do that? Do Nicole and I just go to the police station and tell them everything even though nothing has happened this week? Can they do anything now?

Not sure they can do much if there has been a substantial amount of time go by, but it wouldn't hurt to call your local PD and ask. Tell them what has been happening, and see if they will file a report. Next time be sure to alert them immediately when something like this (when your friend saw the person looking in, and then ran when the lights hit him) happens.

Good luck in whatever you decide, and stay safe.

Guest Mugster
First of all, I want to thank you all very much. I mean that sincerely.

But I do appreciate all your help and information. I've already learned a lot. Especially about the laws, I didn't know about getting a gun or anything. Also, I never even thought about getting a shotgun, which now I think that I will. But I need to learn about them.

I really like the advice about closing your eyes and pointing your finger at a clock or something. I already did it and IT WORKS! I was surprised. That was really good instruction.

I did it in my living room and my bedroom with several things, shelves on the wall, basket on the dresser, dvd player and tv, vase of flowers and other things and I ended up pointed at it every time!

Do you have anything like that with the shotgun?

Alot of of the people on this board make their living by either selling firearms or by training people to shoot straight. That has its plusses and minuses i guess, in terms of an internet forum if you are looking for advice.

I believe you'd be best served by taking an NRA sanctioned class of one sort or another. At a minimum, they have an organization and a series of training that progressively leads to becoming an instructor. The national site is here, and will a bit of clicking around, you should be able to find an instructor or class near you. I've never had any formal firearms instruction except in the military, and I don't make my living in it, so i have no venue I'm trying to push other than safe firearms useage and ownership. I'm a hunter/shooter and it is is mostly my hobby at this point...although a famous gunfighter named Jeff Cooper once said that an ameteur, by definition, is what all shooters should strive to become ;)

If i had a friend in your shoes this is what i would recommend:

http://www.nrahq.org/education/ <-- main site

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp <-- class locator

I think I'd go ahead and give the police a call, fill out a complaint, and see if they can go and have a little chat with the fellow. There might not be much they can do officially beyond filing a report, but a paperwork trail might help you if something happens down the road.

In terms of buying a gun immediately, I think it is prudent to know how to shoot first. I've never been scared for my well being (in terms of in my home in the States), so its really a personal decision that is up to you.

Good advice here; I’ll add mine. Taking a semi-auto in and out of your pocket with gloves on will get you shot. ;) You might want to look at a revolver. A .357 revolver will shoot either .38 or .357. .38 is a good round with not a lot of recoil, .357 is a great round if you can handle it. Check out the J frame Smith and Wesson or even better a 2.5†K or L frame if you can find one. I would recommend that you look at steel or stainless steel and stay away from aluminum, scandium or titanium.

The laser sight is not a bad idea. Should you need to use a firearm you will not have time to use fixed sights. You should practice point instinct shooting. You should be able to place all your rounds from the 7 and 15 yard line in a silhouette target without the use of sights. Sights are for target shooting.

On a different note…. You should call your local Police Department (on the non-emergency number; not 911) ask for the detective bureau, and give them the information about the guy in your complex. You don’t have to make a report or have an Officer come out if you don’t want to. Just tell them you want to give the information and they can do with it what they want.

I worked a rape task force on a serial rapist. One of the biggest problems we had in catching the guy was that people didn’t call when they saw a suspicious person. This guy may be harmless, but you never know.

Get your carry permit, get some training and practice….. a lot.