questions from new girl

Guest smturner99

You’re probably right. A gun forum with members that have hundreds of year’s total of experience should stay out of it and just send her to a gun store clerk.

We have far more important things to talk about than helping someone that has ask for help.

rollfloor.gif

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tyler Durden

You're missing my point in your continued haste to show the rest of the world how much you know. I guess me having less than 10 posts to my name makes me look like I'm a newbie, but sometimes it's about quality and not quantity.

Let me re-state my former thought a little differently: Let's not even think about all getting behind one idea and encouraging her to go the sensible route and seek training. Let's just keep inundating her with a bunch of gun lingo, photos of dozens of different firearms, yelling at her to buy a Glock (gag me with a banana mag) and otherwise continuing to muddy the waters to the point that she throws her hands up in despair, buys a can of pepper spray and proceeds to try to defend herself with just that and a spatula from the kitchen.

Because the more we post about what we think we know about guns, the more smart we look! :D

And seriously tell me what the hell a picture of a dozen different guns is supposed to help this person with? She can't wrap her hands around a photo of an M&P 40 now can she? She can't feel the recoil of a S&W 686 from that photo now can she? She can't see what the sight radius of a long slide 1911 looks like now can she?

No, but dude... you posted a photo of guns and somehow that makes her choice so much easier! Give me a break.

To the original poster: Hire a professional trainer as has been suggested. Let him or her guide you in your choice of a handgun for self defense. Ignore everything else until you know more about your choices.

• Administrator

I think we can all agree that she #1 needs to be equipped to protect herself and #2 should seek professionally lead instruction on what to use, how to use it, when to use it and get the permit to carry it.

Whatever "it" is has become fairly academic at this point right? :D

Unless it's a 1911, and then she'll have God on her side too. :eek:

Right now if enough people told the original poster to go buy a Springfield M1A rifle, she'd probably go do that too. Doesn't mean it would be the right one for her either. :D

But a M1 carbine might be.

According to one of the guys from Thunder Ranch that is the best choice for a home defense weapon for a woman.

Sorry.... I'll shut up now. :eek:

Guest Hornet Handler
Don't listen to the bozo, go shoot a Glock 26 and I bet you buy it!

You Glock guys whine and complain about people bashing Glocks. Then you turn around and shove them down peoples throats as the end all be all handgun. You can't have it both ways! If the only advise you can give is "go buy a Glock" then don't give it! The help she needs is not from a nut swinging fanboy! It's from a professional who is unbaised as to make, model.

the reason us fellow glock owners suggest glocks is simple. they are very easy to maintain and can shoot hundreds if not thousands of rounds without breaking them down and cleaning them. i have not cleaned my .357 glock 33 in about 500 rounds and it is hardly dirty and fires each time the trigger is pulled.

each gun handles different, and will shoot different. sarah is obviously shaken up and searching for means to defend herself. she needs to read these posts twice or three times, write down our personal suggestions for firearms and then go to a range and inquire if any or all of the models she asks about are available for rental so she can shoot.

if she is a small person, she should look into the 9mm or the .40 cal. those are very accurate rounds and in my opinion are very low recoil. well they are low recoil compared to what i shoot, and thats the .45 and the .357 sig. those 2 rounds pack a punch.

if she decides that she needs to go with a semiauto, the HK P2000SK is a very nice sidearm. i would suggest she try that one. it is available in .40 and i think 9mm as well. i would have to look. it might be several calibers.

here is my personal list to suggest for her to try.

HK P2000SK (.40 cal.)

HK USP (9mm)

Glock 26 (9mm)

Glock 27 (.40 cal.)

Smith & Wesson Model 642 (hammerless revolver .38 cal.)

Sig Sauer P220 compact (.45 cal)

those few models are what i would try if i were looking like she is for a firearm. mind you, the average cost of any of the models about is upwards of 650 bucks. the glocks will be on the lower end, more like 500 or so. you can also try any weapon from Taurus, as they are a little bit cheaper in cost.

i cant see buying a weapon to save money, as it makes no sense to attempt to put a price on your life. you dont even have to purchase a gun new. my last gun i bought used from a dealer and it is as clean as it was the day it was new. and i mean clean as in the government's eyes. it has a clean sheet and i saved about 300 bucks. it already had the night sights installed.

no matter what model you get, practice practice practice. know your firearm inside and out. learn how to disassemble and reassemble it. i can dismantle mine in the dark and put it back together. always have it ready. remember, an armed person is a citizen and an unarmed person is a victim and statistic.

your making one of the biggest decisions of your life so choose wisely and be responsible with the model you choose. and when you do choose. tell us all here so we know what you have.

Well that would be the best remedy to the female question "Does this gun make my butt like big?".

:D

ahahahahahhahahahah

look.. I hate to be mean about this...but I had a chance to chat with ms. turner, in the live chat section.

she's either so scared that she'd never be able to defend herself anyhow, or else she's a troll. either way, I hope she seeks help for either affliction.

both Boomhower and myself were present during the chat. she mostly said that it was illegal to own a firearm without a permit class, and that she didn't want to go to jail for the rest of her life for owning a pistol without said class.

I pointed out that state laws differ and in the great state of Tn. one need not seek state approval to keep and bear arms (I said own a gun but hey..it sounds better)

Mark@sea offered to make her a wonderful deal on a taurus revolver thats practically new. Boom offered to pay half of her tuition if she went to mike or austin to take the home defense course.

I offered to loan her a firearm for the course, returnable when she gets her permit.

she refused all, and claimed that "she didn't want to meet men off the internet"...so I told her to call my wife and gave her the number.

in between the conversation with her, boom and I were discussing his new addition to the family, how his other son (riley) was doing, christmas in Mi. and everything else.

I smell a troll, and to be frank...personal safety is just that...personal.

while I would feel bad if I saw that she'd been attacked/mugged or anything else.....its not my business. She asked for help and the fine folks here have given her MORE THAN ENOUGH information to sort through.

with all the repeated instructions to seek training, the multiple contact numbers that were given out both through pm's and on the thread, she should have no problem finding someone to train her and she should be able to purchase a firearm for personal safety with out misgivings.

if she doesn't then she is indeed what Julie described her as...

a dumbass.

On the other hand, if she is a troll, then I suspect that she's going to get quite a disappointment when she finds out that we indeed know the laws concerning owning and carrying firearms...though I have never seen facts dissuade the media from making something up and printing it.

ethics do NOT fit into their agenda and I personally have no use for reporters or newspapers....unless I want to wrap fish.

Keep an eye out in the papers folks..I have a feeling that you may see some anti-gun propaganda coming out before long.

You're missing my point in your continued haste to show the rest of the world how much you know. I guess me having less than 10 posts to my name makes me look like I'm a newbie, but sometimes it's about quality and not quantity.

Let me re-state my former thought a little differently: Let's not even think about all getting behind one idea and encouraging her to go the sensible route and seek training. Let's just keep inundating her with a bunch of gun lingo, photos of dozens of different firearms, yelling at her to buy a Glock (gag me with a banana mag) and otherwise continuing to muddy the waters to the point that she throws her hands up in despair, buys a can of pepper spray and proceeds to try to defend herself with just that and a spatula from the kitchen.

Because the more we post about what we think we know about guns, the more smart we look! :D

And seriously tell me what the hell a picture of a dozen different guns is supposed to help this person with? She can't wrap her hands around a photo of an M&P 40 now can she? She can't feel the recoil of a S&W 686 from that photo now can she? She can't see what the sight radius of a long slide 1911 looks like now can she?

No, but dude... you posted a photo of guns and somehow that makes her choice so much easier! Give me a break.

To the original poster: Hire a professional trainer as has been suggested. Let him or her guide you in your choice of a handgun for self defense. Ignore everything else until you know more about your choices.

+1. +1,000 for that matter.

I think everything constructive that can be said has been said already. The good ideas have been echoed and the bad ideas have (largely) been exposed for the buffoonery they are.

Let's move on.

Now, when you get your carry permit, make sure to carry concealed because otherwise the state will change the laws and make open carry illegal. And besides, only a noob Rambo-wannabe carries openly.:eek:

• Administrator

Rabbi, you'd be happy to hear that I recommended a J-Frame revolver to her as she stated that she is interested in a firearm that she can carry in her coat pocket if need be. That and some female shooters have problems manipulating the slide and loading rounds into magazines on automatics.

See? Wheel guns aren't just for Jewish dudes anymore. :D

• Administrator

On the other hand, if she is a troll, then I suspect that she's going to get quite a disappointment when she finds out that we indeed know the laws concerning owning and carrying firearms...though I have never seen facts dissuade the media from making something up and printing it.

ethics do NOT fit into their agenda and I personally have no use for reporters or newspapers....unless I want to wrap fish.

Keep an eye out in the papers folks..I have a feeling that you may see some anti-gun propaganda coming out before long.

You know... if "she" turns out to be a reporter, we all need to go back and edit our posts so that we are advocating open carry and shooting people in the face when they knock on our door to tell us about Jesus.

Because that's what gun owners do, don't you know?!?!? :D

:rofl:

• Administrator
Tower, I've been guessing a troll from her first post. I've mentioned that in private correspondence.

I've had mixed feelings about it. Maybe my Spidey Sense isn't as well honed as yours. :rofl:

Still, we need to have our edited posts ready. Somewhere in here we need to make sure that Rabbi makes a post explaining that he's not a nice older Jewish gentleman but a raving gang banger who only stops sending lead at the police long enough to pillage the Gentiles.

OH! And he's really pissed that Magpul hasn't released the Masada assault rifle yet because, well... duh... Masada. "This time, it's personal. Oy."

:D

Guest Mugster
Mars I am with you on this. I smell a troll and it stinks.

I don't see how it matters much. It would have to be a pretty desperate news day to publish this thread someplace. Although the cannon suggestion was pretty good.

Guest Verbal Kint
Tower, I've been guessing a troll from her first post. I've mentioned that in private correspondence.

+1

Agreed with Tower and Boom, on this very likely possibility, when we were in the chat channel the other day.

Guest Verbal Kint
I don't see how it matters much. It would have to be a pretty desperate news day to publish this thread someplace. Although the cannon suggestion was pretty good.

More along the lines of trolling for attention, or just out to play games. Would seriously doubt it's anything news related. Maybe it's Yeager, dressed in drag, coming back to visit!

Guest Mugster
More along the lines of trolling for attention, or just out to play games. Would seriously doubt it's anything news related. Maybe it's Yeager, dressed in drag, coming back to visit!

Oh no, not that guy again. Why don't you guys go start another glock bashing thread? Would that keep you happy? :D