questions from new girl

Guest smturner99

After the last few pages, I'm beginning to see why she didn't want to meet anyone from here in person. :D

I agree. IMO, this is one of the worst discussion thread that TGO has produced. :rofl: Normally, discussion is less biased and more focused on needs/requests of initial post.

BTW, my wife's favorite defensive handgun is a Glock 34 (9mm tactical practical) with a TLR-1 light. She prefers it to any of the other handguns that she's tried (various Ruger & S&W d/a revolvers, Beretta m92, full and mid-sized 1911s, seecamp, AMD backup, Subcompact XD9, S/A Ruger, etc). If this lady is still around, I stand by my advice for her to visit Coal Creek and test out a few handguns. Given the creepy guy, I recommend a pistol that would accept a tactical light.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

I don't know about that, I thought some good advice was posted. When you throw anything out on the web, you can expect some BS replies. Anyone under 25 is completely plugged in to an extent that scares me a little. A board like this is considered "old school" and what gets posted here is very mild compared to what goes on when the average age is under 21.

Guest smturner99

I'm not sure what to say, as I have many things I would like to say so, including that I'm sorry this post has gotten so fussy. I didn't mean for that to happen and I'm not a reporter - I promise.

First - thank you all very much for the information. I certainly have a lot of information, much more than I thought I would get from a forum. I do appreciate all of the posts and private messages and I enjoyed the chat room.

I'm not really sure what is meant by "troll"? I don't think I'm a troll, as it was used in a negative way and it just doesn't sound like something a girl wants to be called. But from the follow up posts I think it means someone that is anti-gun. I'm not anti-gun (unless it is the bad guy with the gun using it against me).

I'm not sure what I said in the chat room that made you think I was a reporter, I just know that I don't want to get guns from people like that. I just think I should go buy a gun legally after I take the class and get the permit and I'm legal.

I was originally concerned I wouldn't pass a background check because I have gotten so many speeding tickets that I got a letter from the state about my points but I have NOT been arrested. Anyway, that is why I asked about what the laws were, not because I'm a reporter but because I have gotten so many speeding tickets.

I just wanted to post a thank you and to tell you I wasn't a reporter.

And I'm sorry the chat room guys were offended, I actually enjoyed the chat. I have a much better understanding of the numbering system with the bullets now (which has been very confusing to me, so that was helpful to have it explained).

And thank you for offering to give me guns, but I just don't feel comfortable with that. I'm sorry you were offended, I meant no ill will toward you.

Tomorrow I'm not working so I'm going to call the Sheriff's office (someone send a pm with the info) and see about the class and tell them about the guy. I'm also going to look at guns, I was sent some names of places to look that has good prices so I'm going to do that also.

You probably think I'm stupid because we didn't call the police or anything before...I was thinking about that today...it just really never occurred to us to do that. You just think that the only time you call 911 is if someone is in an accident or someone cuts their finger off or something - something "urgent" or "immediate" - that's when you call 911.

Thank you again.

God Bless,

Sarah

Still, we need to have our edited posts ready. Somewhere in here we need to make sure that Rabbi makes a post explaining that he's not a nice older Jewish gentleman but a raving gang banger who only stops sending lead at the police long enough to pillage the Gentiles.

Now you goin down, mutherf****!!!! We gonna mess you up badder than Henny Dog on Saturday nite.

Anyway, I would not be pleased that someone recommended a J-frame. I would be pleased that someone recommended someone look at a J-frame. They have limitations and won't work for everyone.

There is one guy here (you all know who I mean) who gives the carry permit class and insists that everyone carry a Ruger SP101. Now the Ruger is a great gun and has its place. But they are hard to shoot well, heavy, and someone with a weaker index finger will have trouble pulling the trigger.

So when someone asks me, what is the best gun, I respond each person will find what works best for him. For some it will be the Glock, for others a J-frame, others a Smith M&P, others a SIG etc. They are all great guns and deadly in the hands of someone who knows how to use one.

As for the OP, I do not think she is a troll. I do think she is largely clueless and facing issues well beyond which gun to buy.

• Administrator
Now you goin down, mutherf****!!!! We gonna mess you up badder than Henny Dog on Saturday nite.

You had me at mutherf****. :D

My J-frame recommendation was definitely to look at one as an option, not that she rush out and buy it. I tried to find a ball and cap flintlock that was pocket portable, but I couldn't. :rofl:

• Administrator

Tomorrow I'm not working so I'm going to call the Sheriff's office (someone send a pm with the info) and see about the class and tell them about the guy. I'm also going to look at guns, I was sent some names of places to look that has good prices so I'm going to do that also.

Very good course of action. Good luck with the gun search!

Guest Mugster
I'm not sure what to say, as I have many things I would like to say so, including that I'm sorry this post has gotten so fussy. I didn't mean for that to happen and I'm not a reporter - I promise.

First - thank you all very much for the information. I certainly have a lot of information, much more than I thought I would get from a forum. I do appreciate all of the posts and private messages and I enjoyed the chat room.

I'm not really sure what is meant by "troll"? I don't think I'm a troll, as it was used in a negative way and it just doesn't sound like something a girl wants to be called. But from the follow up posts I think it means someone that is anti-gun. I'm not anti-gun (unless it is the bad guy with the gun using it against me).

I'm not sure what I said in the chat room that made you think I was a reporter, I just know that I don't want to get guns from people like that. I just think I should go buy a gun legally after I take the class and get the permit and I'm legal.

I was originally concerned I wouldn't pass a background check because I have gotten so many speeding tickets that I got a letter from the state about my points but I have NOT been arrested. Anyway, that is why I asked about what the laws were, not because I'm a reporter but because I have gotten so many speeding tickets.

I just wanted to post a thank you and to tell you I wasn't a reporter.

And I'm sorry the chat room guys were offended, I actually enjoyed the chat. I have a much better understanding of the numbering system with the bullets now (which has been very confusing to me, so that was helpful to have it explained).

And thank you for offering to give me guns, but I just don't feel comfortable with that. I'm sorry you were offended, I meant no ill will toward you.

You probably think I'm stupid because we didn't call the police or anything before...I was thinking about that today...it just really never occurred to us to do that. You just think that the only time you call 911 is if someone is in an accident or someone cuts their finger off or something - something "urgent" or "immediate" - that's when you call 911.

Thank you again.

God Bless,

Sarah

You know, one thing nobody mentioned was getting a another dog. I don't know if you are a big dog person, but a nice male lab or a shepard (something about 100 pounds+ and male) makes a good guard dog. I have a female lab that runs about 95, but she won't even quit snoring when I come home. Although she'll run you over for a hamburger. Not a bad bird dog, but she won't get out of the truck if it is raining.

If you don't crate train them and train them the old school way, they think the whole house is their territory and they get quite upset if someone comes in who is not supposed to be there. 100 pounds of teeth and a large dog bark will keep most of the riffraff out of your house.

Tungsten, I have a pocket-portable flintlock, for certain values of 'pocket". Bonus - it is a boarding pistol - more of a blunderbuss, really - so you can load whatever you fancy - ball, grape, nails, what-have-you. But wait - it also has a folding spike bayonet!

Really. PM me if interested.

I like 1911's, my wife carries a pair of 38 specials constantly, but it takes all kinds... Stolen from another board, I give you the perfect GFB post;

"However, in just a few minutes a Glock fanboy will come by and post a link to a test where a Glock was put in a blender filled with Drano, sulfuric acid, Coca-Cola, pirahna, and 2 pounds of industrial diamonds. A CAT D8 bulldozer was then dropped on it from 1000 feet. The owner picked up the Glock, chambered a 155mm HE round, hit a post-it note at 917 miles, and then proceeded to run 726,761 rounds of Wolf ammo coated with Gorilla Glue with no failures."

Actually, I think it's probably a guy.

Probably Rabbi in the library with a lead pipe. :D

And I thought it was interesting to mention both Glocks and Yeager in the same sentence Tungsten. Two of my most favoritest things in the whole world.

well, Shannon..it IS Christmas time, after all! you should get just what you want this year :rofl:

"However, in just a few minutes a Glock fanboy will come by and post a link to a test where a Glock was put in a blender filled with Drano, sulfuric acid, Coca-Cola, pirahna, and 2 pounds of industrial diamonds. A CAT D8 bulldozer was then dropped on it from 1000 feet. The owner picked up the Glock, chambered a 155mm HE round, hit a post-it note at 917 miles, and then proceeded to run 726,761 rounds of Wolf ammo coated with Gorilla Glue with no failures."

That is one of the funniest things I have ever had the immense joy to read. :D

Thank you.

Guest Phantom6
Stolen from another board, I give you the perfect GFB post;

OK, now that I have just spit my Tanqueray and tonic all over my keyboard I'm glad I've got a moisture proof keyboard. I just hope it's gin proof.

Please stop. You're killin' me.:D:rofl:

But... I have my Glock and my Colt sharing a shelf here at home... :D

So you're condoning the illicit cohabitation of the most glorious product of St Browing's mind and a piece of cheap tupperware? Heretic.

Store the Glock where it's supposed to be: buried in the garden with your AK-47's in case zombies attack or you need to scare Congress with an evil "assault weapon". :rofl:

well, Shannon..it IS Christmas time, after all! you should get just what you want this year :)

I get to fly to Baghdad and meet Yeager in the streets? :D

Some of the problem in this thread I think comes from a penchant for secretiveness that some posters have. Sometimes that is a good thing, but sometimes it isn't.

I've never made much of an effort to hide who I am. Lots of folks here and on other boards know my name and more or less where I live. Since I have a listed phone number, the rest is easy to figure out. I don't just post my name and address more as a game for others, to let them figure out who I am. If you get stumped, I'll give you some more clues. :rofl:

I no longer think Sarah is a troll. Probably just scared and confused. I hope she can quit emoting and start thinking about the right course of action. No one should passively accept being frightened by other people. A refusal to accept being a willing victim is the reason we carry handguns.

And as to Glocks.... I once read a story about how a Nikon F was accidentally dropped out of a helicopter at 1000 feet. When recovered, it worked perfectly. But Nikons make a lousy carry weapon. ;)

Sarah,

Just to clue you in on one more tidbit of knowledge, the folks here are VERY knowledgable about gun laws so their offers in chat to sell you a firearm were not only an attempt at helping you now but maybe later. You have surely seen and heard all the rhetoric about gun laws, bans, etc. Well in Tennessee as well as many other states, you can sell a gun to a friend without being required to fill out the federal transfer forms. You should of course get the persons name your buying from as well as who you might be selling to...there is a "Friend to Friend" or FTF form copy of a document here on this site. That form should be kept for your protection but not neccessarily shown to any "gubment" worker bees in the future should the weapon you purchase become a banned one.

The short sweet version, buy a decent pistol from a local TGO member FTF so Aunt Clinton can't come take it away should the worse befall us.

Troll - someone who is using an alternative name or ISP to "troll" the site without any information that can be used to follow their postings except their ISP info. Usually used when some bozo goes off the deep end and gets banned from a site and then comes back. Again, with the current pro and anti gun stance, we watch when a new person comes in and asks for details about law, our viewpoints on it and such. Someone per se writing a thesis at UT about gun law, the VT shootings, etc, might find this site interesting and informative but with the proper editing and slanting of certain posts, could also be detrimental to our thought thats our ability to own guns is not to be restricted any more than it already is and we MUST be allowed to defend ourselves since we cannot count on our local agencies to be there when its most needed.

Welcome, don't be afraid to post, chat if you feel like it, when your ready purchase a weapon of your choice and how you want to.

Back to the sidelines of one very long thread!

Oh, I recommend the pulse flechette pistol in the tri barrel format for doggie walking:eek:

Guest smturner99

I've learned all kinds of things...

I called the Knox County Sheriffs and talked to Sgt. Larry Herron, actually I talked to him and then ended up calling him back twice with more questions.

They have a class THIS Saturday that he said he could get me into, otherwise the next class is January 5. He also said that he didn't have all women's classes but their classes are 2/3 women.

Also, he said I could have a gun at home and he explained the laws on shooting someone that enters your home and fearing for your life or extreme bodily danger (I asked and he said rape would fall into that category and that they get a lot of rape victims that take his class) - we talked a long time.

And I did talk to him about everything! It was really good.

And yes, you guys are right, anyone can give me a gun or sale me a gun and he told me about the pros and cons (including cautions about the gun history). He said I could buy a gun at a flea market, etc.

I asked about a someone giving me a gun. Actually, he said that he wasn't concerned about a friend giving me a gun that had been used in a crime, but rather the quality of the gun my friend would give me. He said it was important to have a good, QUALITY firearm.

He also said that his wife and daughter carry guns and he was a really nice guy. And his daughter has had so many speeding tickets she has also received a letter from the state - lol :) - it was just funny when he told me that.

I don't have experience with guns and he said they prefer that, so they don't have to break any of my bad habits :)

He was nice.

It's 85.00 for the class and then $115.00 for the permit.

Someone posted about a dog...my apartment will only let me have dogs that weigh 25 lbs or less.

I also went gun shopping and I have a bullet/gun question - this guy was telling me today that 22 was too small for protection and that I should get 357.

He took the bullets out and showed me and said showed me

9 mm

He said that 40 was too big but that the 357 is the same size as the 9 but somehow ?? stronger.

So what do I need to get?

So which gun? a 357 gun? Is that what you would recommend like the guy at the store?

There is a S&W one that is pretty nice but it uses 38P, not too big and not too small and he said it is the one most women get.

It is a model 642 and you can get it with or without a laser on the handle. (It is almost $200 more with the laser handle). I'm still not sure about getting a laser or not. Someone sent me a pm about it and it is the first one they guy showed me when I walked up to the counter.

He also kept showing me GLOCK. (the sgt. I talked to said his daughter carries GLOCK)

Thank you,

Sarah