questions from new girl

Guest smturner99

ever think about the calibers the bad guys are using to kill people??? 22's 380s, 9mm...

but whatever...y'all are the experts...

Who cares if they are killed? Immediate incapacitation is what CCW types need, and these rounds are not as effective as others. Someone shot with a .22 or .380 may die immediately, or they may die after a few days in the ICU; did that .22 or .380 prevent them from killing/harming someone AFTER they were shot with it? The chance of such prevention is better with a 38 or 9mm, which should be at the BOTTOM of the power level of a CCW, IMO.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer
did that .22 or .380 prevent them from killing/harming someone AFTER they were shot with it?

dunno, they were the bad guy...remember?

my statement was that the bad guys are using those calibers to kill, hurt, mame, incapacitate (whatever you wanna call it) people...

I am not disagreeing with the fact that they are not "ideal" I am pointing out that being shot with even a 22 is enough to slow the attack before you get more rounds into them to eliminate the threat.

My point is that being shot is being shot, the mind knows you are shot and reacts accordingly. I have no doubt in my mind that if I was shot with a 380, I would be Slowed down and change my train of thought accordingly. The movies may portray a guy that is not phased at all by getting a bullet, but we are not in the movies.

like you said, ccw is to eliminate the threat, I cant imagine that 4 or 5 .22 caliber bullets would not do that. Ideal? No...would it work? probably

Guest Phantom6
dunno, they were the bad guy...remember?

my statement was that the bad guys are using those calibers to kill, hurt, mame, incapacitate (whatever you wanna call it) people...

I am not disagreeing with the fact that they are not "ideal" I am pointing out that being shot with even a 22 is enough to slow the attack before you get more rounds into them to eliminate the threat.

My point is that being shot is being shot, the mind knows you are shot and reacts accordingly. I have no doubt in my mind that if I was shot with a 380, I would be Slowed down and change my train of thought accordingly. The movies may portray a guy that is not phased at all by getting a bullet, but we are not in the movies.

like you said, ccw is to eliminate the threat, I cant imagine that 4 or 5 .22 caliber bullets would not do that. Ideal? No...would it work? probably

Old Handgunner's saying: A hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .44.

Think I would just aggrivate'em with a .22? You are right but I'd aggrivate 'em to death. Of course I could do that a little faster with a larger caliber. ;)

Guest canynracer
Old Handgunner's saying: A hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .44.

Think I would just aggrivate'em with a .22? You are right but I'd aggrivate 'em to death. Of course I could do that a little faster with a larger caliber. :)

;) true, very true

Guest Cap and Ball

I would suggest a revolver for a lady who is new to shooting/guns. My wife started out with a Smith and Wesson .38 special then went to a Sig P239 .357 sig she shoots both very effectively but is more comfortable with the 38. She said the auto has to many levers and butttons , she says a revolver is very simple and doesn't jam , stovepipe or misfeed .When you deceide on what pistol to buy be prepared to practice and practice and practice, just having a gun will not make you safe , if you can't operate it under stress . It sounds like you need to get a carry permit and I recommend it .

good luck

Cap and Ball

Guest DrBoomBoom

I agree with Cap and Ball. My wife has a 642 and she can make that thing walk and talk these days. She can operate a semi-auto, has a hi-power that she can really hit with, but it's the 642 with the laser grips on the nightstand.

Guest ETS_Inc
I would suggest a revolver for a lady who is new to shooting/guns. My wife started out with a Smith and Wesson .38 special then went to a Sig P239 .357 sig she shoots both very effectively but is more comfortable with the 38. She said the auto has to many levers and butttons , she says a revolver is very simple and doesn't jam , stovepipe or misfeed .When you deceide on what pistol to buy be prepared to practice and practice and practice, just having a gun will not make you safe , if you can't operate it under stress . It sounds like you need to get a carry permit and I recommend it .

good luck

Cap and Ball

A person's gender has NOTHING to do with whether or not they can operate the "many levers and buttons" on a gun. Making such a blanket assumption is pretty much sexist.

It has more to do with a persons physical and mental abilities than gender. I know a 6' 2" woman who has no problem with 1911's, she actually prefers them. In fact, those of you in Knoxville may have bought a gun or two from her. I also know men of small stature, with physical impairments, or with mental barriers who can't manipulate a semi-auto. Heck, I've seen some men who get flustered trying to figure out a revolver (especially if all they've ever shot was S&W and you throw a Ruger at them).

If a person is of moderate physical stature, with a modicum of strength, and the mental presence to train themselves, they can operate any gun they desire.

Don't assume that just because the new shooter is a woman that they should be started on a revolver, and work their way up to a semi-auto. You might get surprised one of these days.

It has more to do with a persons physical and mental abilities than gender. I know a 6' 2" woman who has no problem with 1911's, she actually prefers them.

Well, calling Tam a woman is a stretch.:up:

In fact a lot of women do fine with semis. The Glocks and their design descendents don't have a lot of "buttons and levers" and operate sort of like a revolver, kinda, a little.

The disadvantage for the revolver for women (or men with smaller hands) is the inability to deal with the heavy trigger pull required. I have seen plenty of women who simply couldn't manage it. About any semi will solve that problem. The issues connected with a semi will tend to go away after about 2 hours of practice.

Guest Phantom6
A person's gender has NOTHING to do with whether or not they can operate the "many levers and buttons" on a gun. Making such a blanket assumption is pretty much sexist.

... If a person is of moderate physical stature, with a modicum of strength, and the mental presence to train themselves, they can operate any gun they desire.

Don't assume that just because the new shooter is a woman that they should be started on a revolver, and work their way up to a semi-auto. You might get surprised one of these days.

Here, Here. :up:

While a revolver offers (IMHO) the best opportunity for safety and security for the beginner shooter it should be up to the shooter themselves as to what they will use. The beginning shooter should try a variety of revolvers and semi-autos prior to making a decision as to what they are most comfortable with. The key word here is "THEY", meaning the shooter. To pre-suppose that every new shooter in all circumstances should start with one gun then work their way up to another is painting with a very, very broad brush.

Generally speaking, for new shooters it is not a bad idea to learn on a .22 cal. revolver because it's ease of function and lack of noticible recoil allows for the beginner shooter to achieve a level of success right out of the gate that will encourage them to shoot more often. This girl however is looking for a measure of protection that she can feel secure in her life with and so there are some other considerations that must be taken into account.

Again, the decision, revolver or semi-automatic, .380, 38, 9mm, 357 Sig, .40 cal. or what ever really should be her's and her's alone to make.

The only thing that she absolutely should do is to make sure she gets training on her gun and I don't mean a carry permit class either though she should consider that as well. She needs a basic pistol class such as the NRA's Basics of Pistol Shooting or maybe in her case an NRA F.I.R.S.T. (Firearm Instruction, Responsibility and Safety Training) STEPS Pistol class that provides hands-on orientation to one specific pistol -her own. She can contact the NRA Training Department at 703-267-1430 for a list of instructors in her area or click here to find an NRA course near her! After some basic training, then she needs to take a carry permit class and I mean a real one.

Guest Cap and Ball

Well I apologize if I offended anyone , I by no means ment to be rude. I to know a lady who handles a Glock 17 very well and has out shot me in more than 1 match. once again I apologize

cap and ball

Guest DrBoomBoom

"Don't assume that just because the new shooter is a woman that they should be started on a revolver"

Not because the new shooter is a woman, but because the woman is a new shooter. Anyone who needs protection immediately is better served with a simple system. Or am I wrong there?

Guest Phantom6
Well I apologize if I offended anyone , I by no means ment to be rude. I to know a lady who handles a Glock 17 very well and has out shot me in more than 1 match. once again I apologize

cap and ball

Well, I don't know who you thought you offended. My part was simply an observation based on a wee bit-o-experience in firearms instruction. Granted, the revolver is the original simple point and click interface but I can't tell you the number of times that I have had new shooters, men and women but more often women, that have come in with pistols that they absolutely hated due to grip, size, capability, etc. because someone told them that THAT was the kind of gun they needed. By that time the $295-$795 was already spent and they felt obligated to tough their way through it. Man or woman, if you don't like it for some reason you ain't gonna shoot it much and this gal not only needs to learn to shoot but needs to practice- a lot- to do what she wishes to do.

That being said, real training in basic pistol shooting fundamentals is what she needs first regardless of where she receives it.

:koolaid:

Cap and ball, we're pretty easy going round here...well except for rabbi..and he mostly just bites me..:D

Rarely do we get into a ruction and when we do its usually settled amicably...after all, nothing buys good manners like knowing someone else is carrying.:D:D

I have a feeling that the young lady will take the advice given and learn to shoot..she strikes me as the kind of person that doesn't give up easily...and thats a good thing!

I'm still amazed that I offered to LOAN her my browning.

next time that happens, I'm just going to have my wife tell them "no he wont!!"...LOL