questions from new girl

Guest smturner99

Ah, just can't escape the J-frame Smiths....

They're great guns but wont work for everyone. Downside is small grip and hard trigger.

If it were me, I would save the $200 on the laser sights and spend it on ammo and range time instead.

General rule: stuff (especially electrical/electronic) tends to fail when you need it most.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarah, as for caliber (size) of the bullet - 22 is too small to be a reliable self defence round. A lot of people carry the 38 special, the 9 millimeter, and the 357 (which is the same size as the 38, but has a longer casing, which holds more powder, allowing the bullet to go faster).

A 357 will also allow you to shoot the shorter (and slightly cheaper) 38 special. A 38 will NOT shoot the 357.

There are pros and cons to any given gun. My wife carries and practices with a 38 special revolver. Getting the laser grip is a personal choice - I wouldn't use one, but hey, what do I know?

Good luck, good shooting.

Mark

Guest ETS_Inc
Ah, just can't escape the J-frame Smiths....

They're great guns but wont work for everyone. Downside is small grip and hard trigger.

If it were me, I would save the $200 on the laser sights and spend it on ammo and range time instead.

General rule: stuff (especially electrical/electronic) tends to fail when you need it most.

Oh. My. Gawd! Rabbi and I agree on something. Y'all get your SHTF kits in order, 'cuz the end of the world must be upon us. lol Just kidding, Bill.

The points of agreement: 1) electronic stuff can fail when you need it most, and 2) you're probably better off spending the money on ammo, rather than a laser.

The .357 is a great round. It is very, very effective at stopping threats. One of the great things about guns chambered in .357 is their versatility. You can carry .357 rounds for defense, but use cheaper (and less painful to shoot) .38 Specials at the range.

The 642 is a great gun, as are Glocks. Shoot both before you decide, however.

Sarah, I for one, am glad to see that you're approaching this in the manner in which you are. You're talking to people who know what they're talkng about, and being skeptical of everything. Skepticism is a good thing. It causes people to learn everything about a subject before making a decision. An informed decision is the sign of an intelligent person. Good job.

Sarah, here is a great gun for a new shooter; my wife started with this gun. It's a Smith & Wesson Model 60 revolver with a 3" barrel. Unlike some of the small-frame Smith & Wesson revolvers, it has a steel frame, which means the guns is a little heavier and will therefore recoil (or "kick") a little less. It's a .357 Magnum, but will also shoot .38 Special ammo. In fact, I would only use .38 Special ammo in a gun like this if I were you. It's very simple and user-friendly, but don't get the wrong idea; this is a potent weapon. My wife became extremely accurate with it in a short period of time. If you were closer, she'd let you try it out. Here's a link for it on the S&W website: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14755&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15704&isFirearm=Y

Edit: Ignore the suggested retail price; it will cost substantially less.

Dear Steelharp,

Twice you have said to get a shotgun...at first I thought you were kidding because I can't carry a shotgun walking the puppies, but since you've said it twice I guess you mean it.

So I should seriously look for a shotgun? Why are those good?

Are those pretty easy to use? They are so big.

Not to steal Steelharp's thunder, but I'll chime in and say that a pump-action shotgun is probably the easiest and most natural self-defense firearm to use. Some are lighter than others, I wouldn't suggest getting the lightest possible shotgun because then you would experience more of the recoil force, but any Remington 870 or Mossburg 500 with an 18" barrel would be both handy enough to wield easily, and have enough mass to be controllable. I'd suggest looking at 20 gauge models, or a 12 gauge and use low-recoil buckshot shells in it.

You are correct that a shotgun isn't the most discreet firearm to carry around in public, walking dogs, etc.... But it would be worth the extra flexibility to have both a shotgun, for use while barricaded indoors, and a mid-size pistol or revolver for portability while out and about.

Welcome to TGO btw!

I've learned all kinds of things...

I called the Knox County Sheriffs and talked to Sgt. Larry Herron, actually I talked to him and then ended up calling him back twice with more questions.

Thank you,

Sarah

THANK YOU JESUS!

Lady, now you're pickin up what we've been putting down! I'm glad to see that!

and btw, that .38 pistol you were talking about? Mark@sea has one he'd probably let go reasonably..but only if you ask.

Rabbi owns a gunshop. you could buy a pistol from him and be assured that he will give you a good deal. Frank actually BUILDS weapon components..but don't go to him unless you want to be able to shoot someone with just a whisper :)

Joe at Hero Gear sells automatic weapons (machine guns to them that call them that).. Frank can also make those machineguns silent :)

these guys are great folks..they do it to make money..but mostly they do it because they love what they do...which means you'd probably get a better deal than you would at a different gun store. we all shoot together when we can, (especially here in E. Tn.)

ask Mike.357 about how his shooting has improved! Our wives usually come out and shoot also. some like CAS are so young that their parents have to come with them (thats the law)...but we all have great fun and we all manage to learn something and enjoy ourselves.

Now! if you care to come to the next east tn shoot... look for the thread here in the forum.

If I'm not mistaken, Phantom6 (Mike) is hosting it down there in Knoxville.

If you have a pistol by then, bring it..and a couple of hundred rounds. If you don't have a pistol by then and you want to come out and try different pistols...well you can be sure there will be a variety there and we're not stingy...half the fun is shooting someone else's pistols.:)

You came to the right place and I'm glad you stuck it out through me calling you a troll (I do apologize for that and I'm happy to see its not so and that you're actually becoming proactive!)

hang in there!!

Guest Verbal Kint
Its ok verbal Kint...It wouldn't go far. especially since he taught his fiance' to shoot.

:surrender:

I'm just surprised he didn't start out with "OMGHi2u! Buttsecks?"

I opened this thread to see if there was a spot left on the leg where I could get a couple pumps in but Reef beat me to it!! :surrender:

I jest, I jest..... :shake:

I'm just saying.... A female comes in, asks what to carry and it's a 83 page 471 reply thread. A guy comes in and asks the same question it's five posts like this:

Verbal: get a 1911, maybe a Kimber

Rabbi: Get a J-Frame

Reef: Pics?

Steelharp; Blast him with a shotty

Rabbi; Shottys suck. 1911's suck. I suck. Glocks rule!

/thread.

Hopefully she has a sense of humor about this, but given that she's had some freak perv dude looking in her window at night, let's get this back onto more appropriate conversation.

Well, I didn't even read enough of the thread to see that. A friend of mine had that happen, the night he moved into his new house :surrender:

Getting back on track, a j-frame .357 with .38+p ammo + laser grip is what I reccomend for a carry gun. If you want a house only gun, anything .45 with a tactical light and laser will suffice. XD-45 for example.

Awake Calvin and Hobbes rule....when I'm sleeping, Bo Peep would scare the beejeezus out of me if she stood over me. Just the way I have always been. Even the wife doesn't stand over me when she learned in 89 that I wake up "fast" to being touched. Cuddling happens pre sleep, never during!

Now that Boba Fett pic is just plain scary! I place Boba right up there with Clint Eastwood glaring down at me....now I'll never sleep tonight.

Guest Phantom6
Awake Calvin and Hobbes rule....when I'm sleeping, Bo Peep would scare the beejeezus out of me if she stood over me. Just the way I have always been. Even the wife doesn't stand over me when she learned in 89 that I wake up "fast" to being touched. Cuddling happens pre sleep, never during!

Now that Boba Fett pic is just plain scary! I place Boba right up there with Clint Eastwood glaring down at me....now I'll never sleep tonight.

Does this mean that cuddling with Boba prior to sleep would make you feel better?:surrender:

Guest canynracer

OK, back on track...AGAIN, lets all FOCUS....:blink:

9mm 9mm 9mm 9mm 9mm 9mm 9mm

:rofl::drool::rock:

Guest smturner99

Canynracer - You are very Pro-9mm.

I rented and shot some guns today.

I learned many things today.

I liked the 22 ones the best.

I did a 9 mm one that was ok I guess, but I liked the 22 better.

Then he gave me a .45 1911 and I did NOT like it at all.

:(

He said it was bigger than the others but that it was a 1911 and that I needed to try it.

It was so hard and it scared me and I almost dropped it because it "jumped" out of my hands and I was trying to set it back down when I somehow pulled the trigger again and shot down at the ground. He took the gun away from me and said that it was a negligent discharge and that I needed to take the safety class. I was scared and he was unhappy and my range time ended.

I do not want a 1911. I was told the heavy guns were easier to shoot.

I thought that if I bought a heavy gun that I wouldn't have "recoil" but the 1911 was heavy and it was awful. I'm very glad I tried shooting guns first.

The guy at the store yesterday took out 3 bullets from the boxes and told me they were the same physical size and sat them all out.

I think ("think" - I'm not sure) they were

9 mm

.357 SIG

.40 ?? (I forget)

He said that I needed to get 357 or .40 for protection? Obviously you don't agree with him.

I don't understand why he was saying one was better when they all looked the same to me except the end - one of them the end wasn't "pointy".

I don't understand the difference.

And I don't understand why they all 3 look the same size, so wouldn't they fit in the same gun ?

If they are all the same physical size, then why is he saying to get .357? And if they are all the same physical size, why do I have to buy a gun with one particular number rating?

I will say that I am VERY VERY glad I went and tried some guns. I've decided I'm not going to buy a gun unless I can shoot it first so I know what I am getting into.

I won't say I liked it, but when I left today I felt good even though I was a little rattled. I thought to myself "it's just going to be like the gym, I hate the treadmill but I have to do it and when I'm done it feels good".

It was time well spent and it made me feel strong.

Sarah

BTW - have you looked at 9mm in wiki? All it gives you is charts of numbers that are meaningless to me