What kind of dog people we got in here?

ShamGlock

Your vet told you that? That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Crap, it isn't hard to make a pit bull plenty friendly even if someone is hitting you with a tire iron. (pit bulls are really great dogs but tend to have really bad owners)

Not a big fan of the electronic collars, I've never been around a dog that didn't just need time and attention. Well, maybe once, there was a jack russell terrier that I swear had some kind of mental issues.

But that is just an opinion, I haven't been around every dog or anything. Go easy on Tapper and I'll bet you'll only have to worry about him being a ticking time bomb when you need him to go crazy.

Former vet said that.

I only put the electronic collar on him when he's going to be outside. The main reason I bought it is the 'tone' feature. He may go off into the woods or down to the barn where he can't hear me whistle, but he can hear the collar start beeping when I push the 'tone' button. It didn't take him long to learn that the tone was the same thing as being called.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogsatthebeach.jpg

Two of my three (the male was a little fat at the time, an abused rescue that we were trying to put weight on...daddy went a little overboard).

Smartest damn dogs I've ever seen / had. We call them "veloci-dogs" (velociraptor referance-Jurrasic Park), because they sit, watch, plot, and figure stuff out.

If they had thumbs, they would take over the world.

Hey Todd great looking dogs! I've been thinking about Weimeraners as my next dog down the road but read they have terrible seperation anxiety. Any truth to this? The only one I have ever been around for any time was a really poorly behaved animal and kind of a nutjob. I tend to blame the owner as I think he was lazy and did not understand how much excercise working breeds need. Any insight?

Hey Todd great looking dogs! I've been thinking about Weimeraners as my next dog down the road but read they have terrible seperation anxiety. Any truth to this? The only one I have ever been around for any time was a really poorly behaved animal and kind of a nutjob. I tend to blame the owner as I think he was lazy and did not understand how much excercise working breeds need. Any insight?

My girlfriends sister had 2 wiemeraners a brother and sister pair and when the brother duke died dutchess won't play anymore and you can see she is depressed so I would say yes.

Guest mosinon
Former vet said that.

I only put the electronic collar on him when he's going to be outside. The main reason I bought it is the 'tone' feature. He may go off into the woods or down to the barn where he can't hear me whistle, but he can hear the collar start beeping when I push the 'tone' button. It didn't take him long to learn that the tone was the same thing as being called.

I get that, I've seem people seriously abuse the electronic collar thing. Sorry, no swipe at you.

Guest mosinon
[

This is Sarge my American Bulldog he is probably about 10 months old here and around 90 lbs he is about 18 months now

I am seriously interested in American Bulldogs.How is his temperament and so forth? Is he a lot of work?

Guest mosinon

My dog.

I bet that he is a little more than just a dog to you. Bulldogs are just different. Everyone thinks they love their dog until they own a bulldog, then they learn what it really means to love a dog.

I bet that he is a little more than just a dog to you. Bulldogs are just different. Everyone thinks they love their dog until they own a bulldog, then they learn what it really means to love a dog.

He is my baby. I tell everybody you can mess with my wife , but dont touch my dog.

Guest musiccitymadman

I have 2 wonderful best friends a 2 yr.old rottie/border collie mix and a 10 yr. old solid white German shepard. Both are rescue dogs. I am new here and still havent figured out how to post there pics I did upload them to photo bucket but when I try to add image. and enter url all I get in my reply box is a red x any suggestions for a newbe?

Guest Todd@CIS

Weims are like kids with ADHD...extremely intelligent, but require alot of attention. Yes, separation anxiety can be an issue (less so, if you get a puppy and can train / crate train). They think they are people and like to be with "their" people.

I would say that Weims are not good for inexperienced dog owners or people that can't spend a lot of time with them.

My wife owns her own business and they go to work with her everyday. She's a better dog trainer than I am.

Because they fit our life, I wouldn't have any other breed.

http://www.weimrescue.com/newversion/DisplayWeimDetails.aspx?ID=550 This is my other one (the first two are in post #124). Good Weim info on this site.

Edited by Todd@CIS

I had a couple of German Sheperds for a while. After that I raised Chows for around 15 years. We have always had small dogs in the house. First was a Poodle that was my wife's dog. She lived to be 13 and then had a Yorkie that lived to be 15. After we lost her I bought my wife 2 more Yorkies that are now 7. When we lost our last Chow we decided not to get another big dog.

I am seriously interested in American Bulldogs.How is his temperament and so forth? Is he a lot of work?

Sarge is very smart and very laid back but still loves to play. Knows when its time to play and when its time to lay around. Protective and slightly intimidating but not aggressive he will bark at you but be scared at the same time.

3 month old black lab and a 4 month old chocolate lab

lillieparty017.jpg

I eatz ur leg...

Meet Grizwald.

0000507.jpg

We had those and breeded those when I was growing up. My female, Mandy, bit a guy protecting me. Weird guy in the N'hood, she was barking at him as he walked by, I was holding her, he walked right by me and raised his hand like he was going to hit us, she tore lose and got him in the leg. He sued us, the judge through it out of court.

I have two Wieners.

Wrong thread.

GracieandtheTurkeyLeg.jpg

I gotz chickn leg, nom nom...

We have a Lhasa Ophsa that my wife wanted when we first got married, he is 13 1/2. Getting old. For the most part worthless, is ok with the kids, he bit my 2yr old tonight, he grabbed him by the hair of the head. Didn't hurt my son, the dog has only a few teeth left, birth defect. He does have a very deep loud bark, it seems it should be coming from a bigger dog than he is. He is huge for a Lhasa, he is about 25lbs and is strong. After he is gone, we will wait a couple of years than I want a lab. My wife had a great chocolate, I've never had one, but many of my friends have. Always wanted one. Will look at a possible rescue.

Guest musiccitymadman

I have wanted a brindle boxer for a long time.had a fawn and white several yrs ago.

just cant seem to find a brindle from a rescue or shelter.

I have a 2 year old lab/shepard mix named Bumper, and yes he earned his name the hard way. Getting hit helped seemed to knock some sense in to him:screwy:. Hes my buddy.