Why was my thread closed?

I had a thread in the classifieds for a Kimber. It was closed by strickj.

He said it is illegal to buy and sell handguns for a profit.

How is what price I paid relevant?

If I got a good deal on a gun from a friend, and later decide to get rid of it, I have to sell or trade it for what I paid for it?

So, lets say I pay $100 for a glock, I later want to trade it, I have to trade or sell it for $100, not market value!

i would like this reviewed by someone other than strickj.

thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Just browsing through it and the related thread, the turnaround time on your purchase and attempt to sell is short enough to raise an eyebrow. For me at least. Even if it wasn't your intent, it certainly looks like you were attempting to make a profit off of it. Now, I don't know what the ATF considers "a profit" so maybe you should discuss this with strick in private. He's a nice guy and I'm sure he is willing to discuss it. Calling a mod out in public on what you think is a bad call is usually frowned upon here.

Guest jackdm3

Didn't know about that. I inherited guns from my dad. I have to give them away?

Gonna be the hot topic tonight! Unless all go mum and lock.

Edited by jackdm3

I might be out of line here and if I am just disregard this post please.

The deal with bassmaster:

I may be part to blame.

I had seen his post about not liking his new Kimber. I told him that I might be interested and that if he listed it in the trading post and others didn’t want to trade with him I would work a trade.

He then asked about being a benefactor and how long it takes after he pays when he could list. I told him most times the next day or 24 hours or less and he did this.

I did not know there is such a law to not sale a gun for profit with no FFL and now I feel bad that he has went and paid his fee here on TGO per my advice to then list something wrong.

As you see he wanted to Trade more than anything to find a gun he likes.

The sale price as we all do was set high to work down from.

If it is only a violation of the TGO rules I am sorry I overlooked that also.

But as always there is two sides to every story and also unknown facts that others cannot see.

So Bottom line to bassmaster please accept my apologies for leading you wrong .

I am sure this will be cleared up soon.

Guest bkelm18

I may be part to blame.

I had seen his post about not liking his new Kimber. I told him that I might be interested and that if he listed it in the trading post and others didn’t want to trade with him I would work a trade.

He then asked about being a benefactor and how long it takes after he pays when he could list. I told him most times the next day or 24 hours or less and he did this.

I did not know there is such a law to not sale a gun for profit with no FFL and now I feel bad that he has went and paid his fee here on TGO per my advice to then list something wrong.

But as always there is two sides to every story and also unknown facts that others cannot see.

There isn't a law against selling for profit per se, I forget what the ATF says exactly, but I think it's more geared toward people who try to sell to make a living or a part of their living.

I may be part to blame.

Its not your fault at all. Im just lost/confused???

Edited by bassmaster
Got to be confusion on this one, the selling price of a gun or any commadity is based on it's value not it's cost

Im not trying to "call out a mod". Im just confused.... Im not trying to sell for a quick buck, im trying to trade for something I like based on what I percieve as the value...

I know I paid less than that for it, but I did not think I had to sell/trade for that.

I realize the fast turnaround from when I got it, but I hate it.

Guest HexHead
BM you are not the only person who has sold a gun and made a dollar or two, and turned it in a short time either

I seriously don't see why this is even an issue?

We have guys retailing on this forum that won’t even step up and pay a vendor fee.

I was not trying to "retail" tho. If you read the thread that strickj attached as the reason for my post being closed it states that I was looking at a gun at a good deal, I bought it, and hated it. I then decided to get rid of it for something I liked.

I might understand if strickj had PM'ed me and said "hey, don't retail stuff, I see that you just bought and are trying to sell quick, just letting you know".

But, why would I post a thread that I was buying at a good price and then turn around and try and get rid of it If I were "retailing".

And my ad states "WTT/"maybe sell"......

I'm puzzled too. The comment that you have to have an FFl to buy and sell at a profit? I'm not fussing at Strick, I'm really curious. I've not heard of that. What about anyone who trades at a gun show and gets a better deal than the other guy? Could that not be considered profit? I've traded guns that were bought sometimes years earlier when I decided for whatever reason to let go of them. Some I got ahead on and some I got behind on. And some I lost my but on because of impulse buying and hating what I got after shooting it. I know none of us like coming in behind in dealing, but usually someone does. Usually me. But no one forced me. No one held a gun to my head and said "Buy this at a great profit for the seller of I'll shoot." We all decide relative worth to us on an individual basis, if it's to high...walk away. But I'm not aware that it is illegal to make a profit, even here. Is it a TGO thing, or have we all misunderstood this thread and transaction?

I was not trying to "retail" tho. If you read the thread that strickj attached as the reason for my post being closed it states that I was looking at a gun at a good deal, I bought it, and hated it. I then decided to get rid of it for something I liked.

I might understand if strickj had PM'ed me and said "hey, don't retail stuff, I see that you just bought and are trying to sell quick, just letting you know".

But, why would I post a thread that I was buying at a good price and then turn around and try and get rid of it If I were "retailing".

And my ad states "WTT/"maybe sell"......

I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m saying that there are plenty of members that ARE retailing without a license and none of their threads have been locked, that I have seen anyway.

What did he say when you PMed him and ask about it?

"rabble, rabble, rabble"

No, no, no.

The Hamburglar says, "Rubble, rubble, rubble!"

Actually, it's "Robble, robble". Get it? Hamburglar? Robble? :D

And as for the issue at hand, I'm curious about this one, as well. I hope Strick will chime in to let us know whether the thread was closed because it was an actual violation of the TOS, or simply because it was poor form given the circumstances.