Why was my thread closed?

I didn't see a problem either earlier when I ran across the for sale thread locked and read think its pretty obvious you didn't like the Kimber, so you have decided you wanted to possibly trade it/sell it. Looks like you bought it for your own personal use originally and just decided you don't like it. Last time I checked that isn't illegal. Plenty of non ffl's at gun shows buy guns and turn right around and sell them and state they are part of their private collection I don't how this situation is any different you said you didn't like so now you want it gone. Just my opinion and heck what do I know sometimes there might be law against this I'm curious myself now.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just took this from the BATFE website.

Q: What does “engaged in the business” mean?

The term “engaged in the business,” as applicable to a firearms dealer, is defined as a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.

Based on that definition he does not meet the prerequisites at this time. Regardless, as someone pointed out, its bad form to post one day asking if you should buy a gun for "less than 800" and turn around the next day and post it for sale for 940. That is just MHO and not a rule. You can do whatever you want.

Based on that definition he does not meet the prerequisites at this time. Regardless, as someone pointed out, its bad form to post one day asking if you should buy a gun for "less than 800" and turn around the next day and post it for sale for 940. That is just MHO and not a rule. You can do whatever you want.

He should be able to sell it for what he wants. There are alot of others

that have done the same here. Hell, I've had vendors post a price on here and when I got there the price was higher.

Daniel (with due respect and not jamming you)

"less than 800" and turn around the next day and post it for sale for 940

Bassmasters add says:

I am estimating the package value at $940.

This was not even a firm for sale price just his placed value ( for trade I think?)

Guest HexHead

I'm still not getting what the problem is here? You get a good deal on something, maybe the seller was in a hurry to sell it and priced it accordingly and then re-list it for what it should bring. Where's the harm and foul?

It's not as annoying as that damn G27 that went five pages and still the sale is only pending or the Cadillac that's been listed since what, December? Obviously they both were priced too high or they would have sold sooner.

This is much ado about nothing, and to be honest, I don't see how StrickJ ever became a moderator in the first place, if he's making calls like this?

I appreciate the response. I did not want to get banned for questioning this, just wanted to see what I did wrong. I didnt want to bust strickj out, just figured it would be best for me to go to someone else as strickj obviously thought I did something wrong.

To strickj: I meant no harm, no hard feelings, I just do not agree that I was in the wrong and I PM'ed you to see what I did wrong.

I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m saying that there are plenty of members that ARE retailing without a license and none of their threads have been locked, that I have seen anyway.

What did he say when you PMed him and ask about it?

He didnt PM me. I pm'ed him to ask why? He posted this in the thread:

"This thread is closed due to the recent thread here.

It is illegal to buy and sell for profit w\o an FFL.

I would advise not to post about this type of activity publicly in the future. " (I am assuming this refers to me stating the deal I got on it the day before, then trying to trade it at a higher value) How is that wrong? I just want some clarification and if there is no issue, my thread reopened.....

I don't have the authority to close this thread, but I would if I could. I'd like to remind all of Rule #1 in the Code of Conduct:

You are a guest here. Conduct yourself accordingly.

All members are reminded that they are guests of TGO and should conduct themselves accordingly.

You do not have a God-Given right to be here; this is very much our "house" and our guests are expected to follow this code of conduct. This is not a democracy. The word of the TGO Staff is final on any subject. If you have a question about or disagree with the way something was handled by a moderator or Staff member, take it up with them in private. Do not debate them in public! If you do not like the answer that you receive, feel free to contact the TGO Administrator.

If you argue with a Staff member publicly or otherwise engage in insubordinate behavior, you will be removed from the site without question.

Several of you are teetering on the edge.

I suggest you all give it a rest before you fall off. Further argument WILL result in infractions.

Edited by enfield
Guest Bonedaddy
I don't have the authority to close this thread, but I would if I could. I'd like to remind all of Rule #1 in the Code of Conduct:

All members are reminded that they are guests of TGO and should conduct themselves accordingly.

You do not have a God-Given right to be here; this is very much our "house" and our guests are expected to follow this code of conduct. This is not a democracy. The word of the TGO Staff is final on any subject. If you have a question about or disagree with the way something was handled by a moderator or Staff member, take it up with them in private. Do not debate them in public! If you do not like the answer that you receive, feel free to contact the TGO Administrator.

If you argue with a Staff member publicly or otherwise engage in insubordinate behavior, you will be removed from the site without question.

I suggest you all give it a rest before you fall off. Further argument WILL result in infractions.

This stinks of our own damn governments code of conduct. Lack of common sense, good judgement (at least most of the time), personal vendettas and out right power tripping get my goat. If you can't deal with something like this in public (or public forum) then I have no more respect for the powers that be here than I do those in Washington or the Kremlin or Bejing. I hereby renonce my membership. See ya in the funny papers.:D

I apologize, did not see that rule about speaking with the mod in private. Had I seen that, I would have waited for him. But, can I get the name of the one above strickj as a conversation with him will be very one sided as he is boss and obviously disagreed in the first place. Maybe another mod will see it different. Thanks

I appreciate the backing of some of ya'll. If this is the way this forum is, then they might as well ban me too. But, since I just paid for the premium membership today to be able to post an ad, and didnt even get to post one complete ad (that in no way violated any rule I read ), then I do want my $20 refunded accordingly. If it can be resolved and we can move on (and with my ad), i'd like to stay.

I'm still not getting what the problem is here? You get a good deal on something, maybe the seller was in a hurry to sell it and priced it accordingly and then re-list it for what it should bring. Where's the harm and foul?

It's not as annoying as that damn G27 that went five pages and still the sale is only pending or the Cadillac that's been listed since what, December? Obviously they both were priced too high or they would have sold sooner.

This is much ado about nothing, and to be honest, I don't see how StrickJ ever became a moderator in the first place, if he's making calls like this?

LOL Get em hex.

I agree with the rules and will abide by them however, it does seem as though at times the mods have let it go to their head and they act like they are better than the average poster. God forbid if you dont agree with them they will lock you out or ban you for a week. Whats up with that? NO argument here. Just voicing opinion is all.

Guest B_Carter

WOW....how a site conducts business like this is and stays around is beyond me. Sometimes some people suffer from inferority complex...I guess a place like this gives those folks a place to really stretch their muscles....

Close er up boyz!

I agree with the rules and will abide by them however, it does seem as though at times the mods have let it go to their head and they act like they are better than the average poster. God forbid if you dont agree with them they will lock you out or ban you for a week. Whats up with that? NO argument here. Just voicing opinion is all.

I would have to agree. I have noticed lots of "Holier than thou" attitude...IMO.

• Admin Team
it does seem as though at times the mods have let it go to their head and they act like they are better than the average poster.

They are better than the average poster. That's why David made them mods in the first place. A lot of people learn from their experience and knowledge daily.

It's their house. You want to play, you play by their rules.

I'll stick up for Strickj, because he was right. The OP could be viewed as profitting from firearm sales outside of the law. Agree with it or not, it's still the law. We try very hard as responsible gun owners to hold ourselves up as model citizens. The law isn't a Chinese menu. You don't get to pick and choose. Had the OP not started the thread advertising what he paid the day before, or kept the sale price to himself, he wouldn't have had a problem. He did show poor form, though and got called on it. Live and learn.

Edited by MacGyver