summer carry

I need some help/suggestions with summer carry.

In the winter I could use either a shoulder holster or OWB, concealed, but that doesnt work for me in the summer.

IWB just does not work for me(6'4", 185lbs), maybe if I were to try with a pocket gun but what's the need then?

What carry methods are there besides OWB, IWB, shoulder holsters, and pockets(I dont do cargo pockets either)?

I really dont like a pocket gun for a primary because I want at least 6(6+1 in auto) rounds and in a larger/powerful caliber. Either .357mag+ in revolvers or in auto, .45acp, 10mm, .357sig, or larger.

I really dont care if I print as much as being at least semi-comfortable.

I have seen the holster shirts and they are too slow to draw IMO.

I currently have a Ruger Police Service Six, short grip with 2 3/4" barrel, and need a holster. Trying to decide if I get a good winter carry one and get a different summer gun or try to make it work year round

Edited by nightrunner
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow dude. You have so many stipulations, I think it will be just about impossible to cover them all. A Kahr .45 would work in a deep concealment holster (ie. SmartCarry, belly band, Kangaroo pocket thing) That's about all I can think of. A CW45 can be found for a reasonable price. Good luck.

Edited by Shima
...or in auto, .45acp, 10mm, .357sig, or larger....

Wow, what IS larger in semi-auto?

.44 mag, .50AE ?

guess im stuck with a pocket gun in the summer then

Well, ya know, PM9 is 6+1. Maybe you can divert them with 9mm long enough to get to your Desert Eagle!

- OS

Im actually thinking about a Kahr PM45, I should be able to pocket that I think.

Maybe.

'Bout half an inch longer in both directions, and I don't know if that includes the mag, which is not flush fitting. You lose a round to the PM9, too.

The PM9 is the limit I'm willing to pocket, and I don't wear snug pants either.

- OS

Guest BEARMAN
Wow dude. You have so many stipulations, I think it will be just about impossible to cover them all. .

If you want to go smaller (size) than the PM9...why not give the Rohrbaugh 9mm some thought. You could go with some type of +p hollowpoint ammo and that would be a fairly good 1 shot stopping package, and still be very concealable in a pocket holster. FWIW

I carry a Kel-Tec p32 w/ a Crimson Trace laser in a "home made" pocket holster for my summer time carry, and I certainly don't feel "under gunned" whatsoever. :P

Guest jackdm3

Mr. Runner, if you don't have to tuck your shirts in, I can easily recommend dark and loose Cuban style buttoned short sleeves (without the silly bottom pockets). The lighter colors usually require thicker material. The buttoned front creates an instant cool venting that you don't get with a pullover. I got my Beretta 96G .40 9 or 10 years ago and it's been my primary carry whenever I leave the house. I'm only 5'9" and 165. I OWB carry and I quite often have to check to see if it's still there, it's that easy. I'm only using a simple Galco. Someone of your height should be able to carry whatever you please, and since you said printing is not a concern, dress around the gun that you rely on.

Edited by jackdm3
Guest BigNoise

What about a G36, single stack, IWB? You are going to have to compromise somewhere, either your gun or your comfort. I would choose comfort.

Edited by BigNoise
Fix
If you want to go smaller (size) than the PM9...why not give the Rohrbaugh 9mm some thought. You could go with some type of +p hollowpoint ammo and that would be a fairly good 1 shot stopping package, and still be very concealable in a pocket holster. FWIW

I have yet to see the 9mm round that can do that, either +P or standard pressure.

Do you have ballistic data to back that up? Because if there is a round that can deliver a 1-stop shot I'd like to know about it!

I have yet to see the 9mm round that can do that, either +P or standard pressure.

Do you have ballistic data to back that up? Because if there is a round that can deliver a 1-stop shot I'd like to know about it!

Don't even start, please.

Any round is capable of a one shot stop.

No round guarantees it.

- OS

No round guarantees it.

- OS

It's great to have someone around to keep everyone in place. If we all just respect our elders our threads can be civil discussions instead of useless caliber wars or endless debates with no answer. Seriously, I'm glad someone can "nip it in the bud" when necessary...

I don't really like to read the endless rants and inevitable personal attacks that result from the AK v/s AR, Open Carry v/s CC, Shotgun v/s Carbine for Home Defense, or 9mm v/s .45 debates. Especially when they have nothing to do with the original question as posted.

Edited by JReedEsq

No round guarantees it.

- OS

I'm not trying to start anything; I'm asking a simple question based on my own limited knowledge and experience. I carry a 9mm, so I have complete confidence in a good 9mm round to do the job, but I don't think for a minute that it's only going to take one shot to defend myself and to promote this kind of thinking to people who may not know any better is simply irresponsible. This is true for any caliber.

Seriously, anyone who is counting on ANY caliber to provide a one-shot stop is simply watching too many cop shows on TV.

Edited by DaddyO
I'm not trying to start anything; I'm asking a simple question based on my own limited knowledge and experience.

Or is that just not allowed here?

It's a tired and overdone topic on every gun forum in the world.

There are no definitive answers, so it's ludicrous to debate.

If any statement is universally valid, it's probably that shot placement is more important than caliber.

People drop in their shadows from .22short to the head, people shoot back after losing a leg from .50BMG.

Like that.

You made a definitive statement about 9mm. At the least, if you want to support/discuss that, start a new thread, is my humble advice.

- OS

edit: sorry Shima, saw you post after sending this one.