This maybe a stupid question.

Guest eggman

This maybe a dumb question but here it goes. What is the difference between the Mark II and the Mark III. From what I had read about the Mark II's you all most need to be a mech. engineer to disassemble and reassemble them. Is this true for both of them?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tntrucknut

I have a Mark I, and had to search the internet for directions on field stripping. Most everything I read said assembly and reassembly was difficult. I stripped mine down and to my surprise, it wasn't that bad. Just have to have a little patience. I wouldn't think a II or III would be any harder.

• Admin Team

They all strip basically the same. I think the main difference between the II and the III is that the III has a few extra "safety" features. The magazine disconnect is the primRy one that comes to mind.

As long as you follow the manual exactly, you should have no problem getting it apart or back together.

They aren't bad taking apart and getting back together if you hold it just right.... First time took me an hour before I looked it up.

I think the III moves the mag release as well. From the euro baseplate to the side. Other than that, there are just a few safety features that probably will not be noticed in normal use.

I had some trouble the first time I took my MK II apart. Then I finally found a video that explained why you have to do all that rolling and flipping and other gyrations.

The tricky part is getting the hammer strut in the right position to close the main spring.

Once you get the hammer back in place with the strut hanging down into the mag cavity, attach the barrel and slide in the bolt. Position the mainspring upward into the reciever hole until it clicks. Now the bolt stop is in place and all is left is to get that tricky little hammer strut in the right spot.

Flipping it over and pointing the barrel up makes the strut fall against the mainspring. Then and only then can you lock the mainspring into place.

Note: Failing to get the strut into the mainspring instead of above it or still haning down will keep the bolt from going all the way back (that's how you know you did it wrong).

Hope this helped somebody.

Guest gunnutt
If memory serves me right the chamber full flag is a Mk111 addition.

oldogy

yep youre right.I have a mark II 22/45 thats not too bad if you watch what youre doing

Guest tnvolfan

When I bought my Ruger MkIII 22, the dealer told me to not take it apart, that it was too hard to clean, to bring it back for them to put in the ultrasonic tank to clean. They said they had more folks than they could count bring these guns back in a box for THEM to put back together. Now I know that many people have successfully taken these rascals apart and put them back together, but if you don't feel up to the occasion, you might consider finding a gunshop that has an ultrasonic tank. This way, all you have to do is remove the grips. This is just an option, not necessarily a recommendation.

I bought a Mark III and looked on you tube for instructions on how to field strip it and put it back together. It ain't easy but it's not too bad once you get the hang of it. There are steps where you have to insert the magazine then remove it. Also I have to use a set of channel locks with electricians tape over the teeth and a paper clip.

The Mark IIIs have this stupid loaded chamber indicator. What a useless piece on engineering. After I removed this device I have had zero FTEs with a veriety of ammo. I am convinced that the loaded chamber indicator was causing the problems.

You tube will show you how to remove this device also. I used a small needle nose plier to remove the holding pin and it just fell out in my hand.

The good news is that my Mark III is a tack driver and may be the funnest pistol I own. I have a red dot sight zeroed in at 10 yards and it's DNO!

Edited by Will Carry

Accurate in the right hands. I'm no sharpshooter but

have qualified as a marksman with an M-16 and M-1.

Handguns are new to me and this is the one I use for

practice a lot.

It is easy to field-strip when each step in the owners

manual is followed. Then once those few steps are

implanted in the head by practice, it becomes easy.

In fact, it is a lot less tedious to reassemble than the

Walther P-22. I've not mastered that one. I manage

to get it back together each time, but it is not fun.

Why? Well, the single long spring must be compressed

as the gun goes back together. A dowel comes with

the gun to slide through the spring to keep it going

in the right direction. I need to practice this one.

Edited by LCPTN