Out of state resident...can I buy a gun in TN

Guest blairellis

Guest blairellis

I am still a resident of MI technically as I have not declared my permanent residence here in TN yet. I have up to a year to do so according to my research.

Anyways, since I just moved here from MI and am not a resident, can I purchase a firearm here in TN? I am specifically wanting to look at purchasing a handgun.

What is the procedure you have to go through to do so here in TN? I had to go to the local Sheriffs office and purchase a Handgun Purchase Permit back in MI which involves an on the spot background check. Does anything like that exist here or is there a waiting period to get a handgun?

Thanks for the info!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you must be a TN resident to purchase a handgun in TN. Doesn't matter if it's a private sale or retail. Same rules apply.

As for what happens.. RETIAL: you find a gun, fill out the forms, wait until you get approved (can take minutes to weeks) depending on what shows during your background check. then pay your bill and take the gun home. PRIVATE: make the deal, show your ID, walk away with your new handgun.

Simple..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to establish residency in TN for 30 days before you can purchase a gun? For example, when I moved here, I had the utilities turned on and took the receipts and other documents to DMV and got my driver's license. About a week later, I went to the pawn shop in Sevierville, I was told that I had to be a resident for 30 days before I could purchase a gun. So was the guy at the pawn shop right or is there a "waiting period"?

Guest blairellis

Just having a bill from the utility company doesn't establish residency as far as the gun shop is concerned because in their eyes, you could just have a second house here or something. I just went in there to look at a gun I wanted to buy and they said you HAD to have a drivers license because that shows that you have established your residency here. Boooooo ;)

Right. I was just saying that even though I had a TN drivers license, the guy was telling me that I still had to be a resident for 30 days. So 30 days after the drivers license was issued.(?) I thought it was bs but really didn't know. I've been living here for almost a year so it's no longer a problem but just wanted clarification so that people moving here would know if they can or can't buy a gun when they leave DMV with their DL.

TN allows handgun purchases for residents in TN bordering states.

Absolutely WRONG.

All other out of states residents can purchase long guns only.

Residents of all states may purchase long guns, from FFL only, not from private sales. IF the dealer will do it; some won't.

My out of state father in law asked a few dealers at a recent TN gun show what he could purchase and they all agreed on the above.

He was misinformed or misunderstood.

- OS

TN allows handgun purchases for residents in TN bordering states. All other out of states residents can purchase long guns only.

My out of state father in law asked a few dealers at a recent TN gun show what he could purchase and they all agreed on the above.

They were all wrong :popcorn:

TN allows handgun purchases for residents in TN bordering states. All other out of states residents can purchase long guns only.

He's thinking of long guns. Except in the case of a bequest, federal law requires that a handgun go through an FFL in the new owner's home state.
Figures that dealers don't even know the laws in their own state. Didn't matter for us since IL isn't a bordering state anyway.

No federal law against buying/selling long guns from FFLs in any state, by residents of any state.

However, some states have the "bordering state" only okay for long guns.

The handgun purchase law is federal, and no state law can override it.

- OS

FFL dealers have to be in compliance with the laws of both their home state as well as the state the buyer is from.

In the case of Illinois, you would have to be in compliance with whatever the FOID BS entails and such.

Myself personally, I would probably not make a sale to you. If I am not familar with your laws, I am not going to deal with it.