Anybody in Corporate Security or related field

Guest db99wj

I have questions.

I'm kinda going through a midlife job crisis, Not sure what I want to do when I grow up kind of thing.

Currently, I am a bank branch manager for a huge bank and the sales thing, which I have been doing for 10 years is getting kind of old. They have a very sales oriented mentality. My bank is going through a merger and my branch will be closed in 10 months (October) and I have been guaranteed a position, but don't know where or what. So I basically have 10 months to make a change if I want to. I guess more, but you get the idea.

One of the things that I have thought about in the past year or so is corporate security or other law enforcement type career. Not so much as a street cop, but, because of my experience in banking, insurance, loans, financial services like mutual funds, annuities, stocks, etc, more so federal jobs that relate to that. Secret Service, FBI would be amazing, but don't know the first thing about trying to get on and what it would take.

I have just started to look online and even will consider and would like to go back to school, University of Phoenix online and get a Masters' degree in criminal justice.

Any ideas, thoughts, things to consider etc?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GlocKingTN

As far as I know. SS and FBI wont happen without ALOT of education and LE background. I have alot of LE friends and its not easy even becoming a "street cop". Not saying that you cant do it or they wont let you do it. With the experience you have in your field, they may say OK, when can you start. But none of my LE buddies ever mentioned it being easy to be a SS or FBI. They have all just about tried to do the same. And even they couldnt get in. And they are already LE. Im also sure that if you decide to go back to school and get your degree in CJ or whatever, that will most definetly not hurt you.

Have you ever thought about Corrections(prison-jail). With your background in finance and such, you should be able to get a fairly high position. My wife works at one of the ones in Whiteville and does pretty good, even as a clerk. You may even could try getting in on the ladder of security. For example, chief of security, asst. chief, capt., LT, Srgnt, etc. And advancement is very easy in corrections. My sister-in-laws ex boyfriend is a Captain. He makes about $18 hr and was only a Srgnt about 3-4 yrs ago. Then he moved up to LT, then CAPT. Anyway, just my .02!

As far as I know. SS and FBI wont happen without ALOT of education and LE background. I have alot of LE friends and its not easy even becoming a "street cop". Not saying that you cant do it or they wont let you do it. With the experience you have in your field, they may say OK, when can you start. But none of my LE buddies ever mentioned it being easy to be a SS or FBI. They have all just about tried to do the same. And even they couldnt get in. And they are already LE. Im also sure that if you decide to go back to school and get your degree in CJ or whatever, that will most definetly not hurt you.

Have you ever thought about Corrections(prison-jail). With your background in finance and such, you should be able to get a fairly high position. My wife works at one of the ones in Whiteville and does pretty good, even as a clerk. You may even could try getting in on the ladder of security. For example, chief of security, asst. chief, capt., LT, Srgnt, etc. And advancement is very easy in corrections. My sister-in-laws ex boyfriend is a Captain. He makes about $18 hr and was only a Srgnt about 3-4 yrs ago. Then he moved up to LT, then CAPT. Anyway, just my .02!

Don't get me wrong and this is in no way putting down street cops, I wouldn't want to be a street cop in the city of Memphis regardless. That has got to be one of the most dangerous LE jobs in this country. It is also very political

I do have an Associates Degree, Bachelors of Science Degree and multiple insurance and NASD Securities licenses, and have former military experience, and would love to be able to take that and move into some type of corp security and as I said, the ultimate, the Feds (realizing that is highly unlikely)

Guest GlocKingTN
Why anyone who isn't a criminal would choose to spend 8 hours a day working in a prison is beyond anything I can fathom.

It isnt as bad as you think. Take for instance the Warden where my wife works. He is about 35 yrs old and makes about $400,000 a yr. He is the HNIC at the prison. No one even farts without his say-so. What he says, goes...period! He drives a $60,000 truck and lives in about a $800,000-1,000,000 house. He leaves for work at about 7:30am in the morning, in a suit and tie. He sits in his office on the phone with Governors, Senators, Etc. all day long. And thats just the Warden!

My sister-in-law's ex-boyfriend is a Captain like I said, and He is just under the Chief-of-Security. Basically, he runs the facility 99% of the time. If he has a problem, he then moves to the next highest on the chain. He makes about $18-20hr. He walks around in a Uniform like the other officers, except he has 3 stripes on his shoulder. He actually does nothing physical unless there is a problem with an inmate.

Most of the inmates are short termers serving time for drugs, robbery, etc. This specific prison is a Medium Security prison. Very few, if any, Maximum Security. This is also an ALL male facility. They are usually serving around 5-10 yrs. And yes, there are some rapists and murderer's there serving 400+ yrs.

I worked there almost 2 yrs, until this job I have now came open with the state. Or I would still be there. I enjoyed it really! As long as you did your job, no questions were asked. Most of the inmates tried to make it easy on you, so you would make it easy on them. I had a tool in my front right pocket that meant the world to them, literally! If they got out of line in any way, I had a right to make it very hard on them. Even as far as adding time to their sentence. As much as 5-10 yrs, according to their mistake.

So dont think bad about the prison environment. Its not that bad. It isnt for everyone, but neither is McDonalds!

I hate to tell you, but you are probably bumping up against the maximum age limit for FBI or SS. But you just might squeeze in if you hurry.

Here's the Special Agent requirements. Note that the max age is 37, and that is after going through the Special Agent Entry Program.

To become an FBI Special Agent you must be a U.S. citizen or a citizen of the Northern Mariana Islands. You must be at least 23 years of age, but younger than 37 upon your appointment as a Special Agent. You must possess a four-year degree from a college or university accredited by one of the regional or national institutional associations recognized by the United States Secretary of Education. You must have at least three years of professional work experience. You must also possess a valid driver’s license and be completely available for assignment anywhere in the FBI's jurisdiction.

All applicants for the Special Agent position must first qualify under one of five Special Agent Entry Programs.

These programs include:

Accounting

Computer Science/Information Technology

Language

Law

Diversified

After qualifying for one of the five Entry Programs, applicants will be prioritized in the hiring process based upon certain Critical Skills for which the FBI is recruiting. The FBI is currently recruiting for Special Agent candidates with one or more of the following Critical Skills:

Accounting

Computer Science/Information Technology Expertise

Engineering Expertise

Foreign Language(s) Proficiency

Intelligence Experience

Law Experience

Law Enforcement/Investigative Experience

Military Experience

Physical Sciences (e.g., physics, chemistry, biology, etc.) Expertise

Diversified Experience

Candidates with these Critical Skills are essential to address our increasingly complex responsibilities. As such, candidates with one or more of these skills will be prioritized in the hiring process.

For more info check out https://www.fbijobs.gov/

The SS is worse than that.

I hate to tell you, but you are probably bumping up against the maximum age limit for FBI or SS. But you just might squeeze in if you hurry.

Here's the Special Agent requirements. Note that the max age is 37, and that is after going through the Special Agent Entry Program.

To become an FBI Special Agent you must be a U.S. citizen or a citizen of the Northern Mariana Islands. You must be at least 23 years of age, but younger than 37 upon your appointment as a Special Agent. You must possess a four-year degree from a college or university accredited by one of the regional or national institutional associations recognized by the United States Secretary of Education. You must have at least three years of professional work experience. You must also possess a valid driver’s license and be completely available for assignment anywhere in the FBI's jurisdiction.

All applicants for the Special Agent position must first qualify under one of five Special Agent Entry Programs.

These programs include:

Accounting

Computer Science/Information Technology

Language

Law

Diversified

After qualifying for one of the five Entry Programs, applicants will be prioritized in the hiring process based upon certain Critical Skills for which the FBI is recruiting. The FBI is currently recruiting for Special Agent candidates with one or more of the following Critical Skills:

Accounting

Computer Science/Information Technology Expertise

Engineering Expertise

Foreign Language(s) Proficiency

Intelligence Experience

Law Experience

Law Enforcement/Investigative Experience

Military Experience

Physical Sciences (e.g., physics, chemistry, biology, etc.) Expertise

Diversified Experience

Candidates with these Critical Skills are essential to address our increasingly complex responsibilities. As such, candidates with one or more of these skills will be prioritized in the hiring process.

For more info check out https://www.fbijobs.gov/

The SS is worse than that.

Yes, I've been on their websites and found that info as well. Like I said that would be amazing, but it won't ever happen for me.

One thing I am doing is learning the issues that face banks, I'm a banker, I see theft and fraud almost everyday. I even see counterfeiting about once a month, if not more. I have already talked with our security guy and I am sending him my resume. It would be great to become an investigator with this bank or another bank.

The Memphis Police Dept looks as if they are recruiting reserve officers, but I'm not sure if I want to be a part of that.

Thanks for the replys.

I have a buddy that works at the corrections facility in florida, for the border patrol.

I still have to get ahold of him, as the NSA is offering a 7500 dollar sign on bonus for people that speak arabic or farsi or chinese.

he speaks arabic and greek.

its always cool to carry guns and drive fast cars, I guess.

Guest GlocKingTN
I have a buddy that works at the corrections facility in florida, for the border patrol.

I still have to get ahold of him, as the NSA is offering a 7500 dollar sign on bonus for people that speak arabic or farsi or chinese.

he speaks arabic and greek.

its always cool to carry guns and drive fast cars, I guess.

Those things cant be beat, especially legal! I could stand $7500 just to take a job. Wont happen, but I could stand it.

Guest David Nash
Why anyone who isn't a criminal would choose to spend 8 hours a day working in a prison is beyond anything I can fathom.

I got my start out of the Marines in Tennessee Corrections, thats actually where I got the urge to be an instructor.

I tell you a couple years inside the fence is equal to a graduate degree in abnormal psychology.

I liked the prison and if I didn't get the change to work in Emergency management, I would still be working for the TDOC

David

Not that I really have any constructive suggestions here, but why don't you think the FBI wouldn't accept you? You have a degree and you have accounting/banking experience which the earlier post says the FBI is looking for. Don't defeat yourself by not evening taking the chance. Go for it.

Not that I really have any constructive suggestions here, but why don't you think the FBI wouldn't accept you? You have a degree and you have accounting/banking experience which the earlier post says the FBI is looking for. Don't defeat yourself by not evening taking the chance. Go for it.

Interesting point. I've gone through the application process but have not submitted. Holy crap the application process is intense.

I also need to talk with my wife about this before I submit to at this level. There are several other things going on that could put a stop to this type commitment. It is a commitment and something that I will make d@#$ sure I am 100% committed to before I apply.

DB, I'm sure you can find a niche that is commensurate with your skills.

but a fair warning be prepared for an extensive background investigation if you want to work for the FBI. If you're serious about being a "G-MAN" you might also want to consider working for the U.S. Treasury branch of the Secret Service.

anyhow, here's a link to help you out if you're looking.

http://www.federaljobs.gov/

Just don't wait too long to decide. Why not submit your application now. If you get the job offer, you can decide then. If they don't make an offer, you won't spend your life wondering if you should have applied.

QFE. You can make that decision when they are offering you the job if it will be right for you and your family. If you don't apply now you may not have the opportunity in the future when it would be beneficial.