Memphis / For Training: RangeUSA vs. RangeMaster  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Memphis / For Training: RangeUSA vs. RangeMaster

• RangeMaster
    • RangeUSA

Guest benrook88
Memphis is the ideal training ground.

Haha, quote worthy my friend.

And yea I have heard the same thing from personal friends about rangemaster and there arrogance problem.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to both - went to RangeMaster's when RangeUsa was closed for the birth of a child.

At RangeMasters I saw just as many people being unsafe as I did safe and that was with a Range Officer sitting on the bench behind me.

One person (a trainee for the MPD) actually shot the floor a few feet in front of the shooting benches.

The range officer fussed at the person (rightfully so).

I was never made to feel "welcome" in their establishment. I felt as if I was in Guns and Ammo and that is a place I will never go back to.

I think the lighting at both places is a little dim for my tastes.

If people would stop shooting the fluorescent lights out then they wouldn't be so dim!!!! I say that jokingly, but it is true, I've seen glass rain downrange!

Anyway, there are plus an minus with each range, each course of instruction and each instructor. We, and especially Memphis, is very lucky to have both of these organizations available to us. They both are top notch facilities and have, like I said have pluses and minuses. If you like more of a regimented, military, style training, it sounds like Rangemaster is a great place to get that while obtaining a specific objective. It would appear that Rangemaster appeals to a smaller niche market. If you like a little more laid back style, while still accomplishing a similar objective, RangeUSA is the place for you. RangeUSA seems to appeal to a wider variety of people that otherwise would maybe not seek additional training past their permit class.

This doesn't take away from the training objectives of either place, the style might not appeal to you, so if one does, great, if the other one does, great.

The trainers at both facilities appear to be some of the best at what they do and the training curriculum has one thing in common, how to win the fight for your life. So again, I say we are lucky to have both, they are just different, and with opinions of others, you need to decide which is best for you.

Me, I have not taken a class at RangeMaster, I have taken classes at RangeUSA. Ideally, if able (time and financially) I would love/want to take all the classes offered my RangeUSA, and also go through RangeMasters training as well.

With all that said, As far as range shooting preferences, I go to RangeUSA more because of the size, atmosphere and I know several folks up there.

And lastly, I need to get my butt up there and shoot something soon!

.... we are a training facility, first and foremost.... we’ve had 51 who had to use their training in self defense, the most recent just a few weeks ago. They all won....

Put me down as one of those guys who thinks that is the Right kind of :cool: to drink!

I think Yeager challenges people to an airsoft gunfight. You would probably lose.

I don't know. I always heard something about never bring a coward to a gunfight...

I also don't know what you base this on since you don't have any real clue how much/how little training I've had. It's ok...you can stand up for RangeMaster. Maybe they'll start hosting IDPA...well probably not.

Guest nozzle13

I don't know cause I've never shot with them, but I have heard they won't let you shoot IDPA unless you have taken one of there classes. This is what has kept me from shooting with them on Fridays.

I don't know cause I've never shot with them, but I have heard they won't let you shoot IDPA unless you have taken one of there classes. This is what has kept me from shooting with them on Fridays.

Not taking up for them, but merely explaining the situation: The Friday night league at Rangemaster was always intended to be a venue for their students and instructors to practice techniques learned in the classes. A few years ago, a group of local shooters began to turn it into an equipment dependant, how fast can I crank on the trigger, run and gun, everything is fine as long as my name is at the top of the list competition.

Part of the issue was the Rangemaster was an IDPA affiliated club at the time, so matches had to be open to all IDPA members (per IDPA rules). To avoid this happening again, he changed the rules, which included no longer having official IDPA matches, in order to get back to the intended venue.

It is actually permissible for non-students to shoot in the match as long as the non-student is at least mildly experienced, however, students get priority on any night when the match is full.

I used to shoot the Friday night matches at RangeMaster. This is back when Steve Wolf was over there, like early 1997 to early 1998 time frame. It was a lot of fun and a good atmosphere to be in. The RSO supervision was top notch, the stages were interesting, and in general a good group of guys to shoot with. I was also there when Tom Givens made the rule that you had to have their level 2 class to shoot the match. This was announced on a Friday night just before the match started. The reason given at the time was that he had seen unsafe gun handling during the matches. The problem I had with that was he was rarely present at the matches. I very rarely saw any unsafe handling and when it did happen it was immediately corrected by the RSO and never repeated. In fact we were always very careful to instruct new shooters on proper gun handling, range commands, and even let a one shoot the match without drawing from a holster, starting at low ready. Since I had not had the level 2 coarse I was not allowed to shoot the match. My membership expired the next month. Instead of renewing, I let it lapse and have not been back since. I don't shoot matches much anymore, but as of late, I am thinking I will get back into it and shoot the weekly IDPA match at R-USA. Well at least as long as I can afford to feed the .45.

I'd heard it's RM's version of IDPA (not exactly the same rules) and that you had to go through class(es) before you could get in on the Friday night thing.

That's basically correct (except, RM was having the matches in 1995 before IDPA was founded, and, at the time they were running matches on Tuesday and Friday nights).

You're correct that a shooter is supposed to be a L2 graduate, but the SOs have descretionary authority to allow the occassional non student, as long as the person appears to be a competant gun handler, and as long as the match isn't already full.

I can vouch for that. I've shot more than one match at RangeMaster, and never attended a class there... yet. That door is certainly wide open, funds eventually permitting.

However, they know they don't have to worry about me when it comes to safety violations - not that any of us will ever stop looking when holding a timer. The just have to worry about me beating them once the scores are finalized. :D:)

It probably helps to be personally known to the guys who run the match, and also to be an IDPA Master and a certified IDPA Safety Officer. *shrug*

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I'm not from Memphis but I'll chime in....

I have taken Comabtive Pistol I, Combative Pistol II, Dynamic Marksmanship, and both the Instructor class, and the Advanced instructor class and attended, RO'd and presented at the Rangemaster Tactical Conference when it was still held in Memphis.

I travelled from Chattanooga to do this. I would not have done that if the training were not top notch and if I felt "unwelcome". Tom gets a bad rap for being maybe a little too blunt , but I think sometimes folks are maybe just a little too thin skinned. And there is no law saying everyone has to like everyone. Some personalities just do not mesh well.

Now, as to how his instructors other than himself conduct classes.... I cannot speak to that as he has taught every class I have had from Rangemaster. And as to the everyday range operations I do not know as I do not live there. The only times I have been on the range were for a class. I have interacted with some of his guys and went with a group of them to the National Tactical Invitational , but I have never had a class they have taught.

So as a resident range user or retail store customer I really cannot speak with any authority as I do not live there ...but as to the quality of instruction I can tell you it is absolutely top notch.

However, they know they don't have to worry about me when it comes to safety violations - not that any of us will ever stop looking when holding a timer. The just have to worry about me beating them once the scores are finalized. :):rolleyes:

Well, SOME of them might worry about it, but not all of us. :tinfoil:

If RangeUSA had a bigger gun selection, it would b the perfect shop.

I love it there.

I've ordered guns from RangUSA as well as online orders shipped to them. They were quick and had good prices as well.

I've got to add a +1 for Range USA. I agree completely with a couple of posters who mentioned the attitude at Rangemaster was similar to that of Guns & A*******. I haven't stepped foot in Rangemaster in years. The last time I was there I listened patiently as one of the employees degraded me for buying a Glock and kept on preaching how great the 1911 is, etc. I waited until he was done, told him I appreciated all the useless info he had to offer as I already owned a couple of 1911's, but prefer Glocks as carry guns because... well, I can't explain why exactly, but I LOVE my Glocks, and that's a good enough answer for me.

RangeUSA is the complete opposite. They want everyone to feel welcome. They want you to try out several guns to see which one YOU like. If you rent one of their guns, they'll let you trade out to their other guns without any additional charges. When my wife finally decided to get her HCP, I sent her to RangeUSA and she really enjoyed the class.