h&k usp 45?

Guest jdavis

any oppinions on the hk usp 45 i have a guy wanting to trade me one to my 1911 i have always wanted to try one but never have are they what they are supposed to be, and is it a good trade (mine) springfield 1911 champion commander size stainless, night sights , (his) h&k usp 45? I also have a guy wanting to trade a fnh fnp45 what are some oppinions on this gun too?

Edited by jdavis
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as quality and value, it is probably an even swap for that particular 1911. The worth to you however all depends on how well that gun fits you and how well your 1911 fits you.

Personally I much prefer the feel of the Hk45 and 45C, the P30, P7 and the P2000 to the USP models which are just too big and bulky for my taste. The HK is one of the most dependable, reliable, rugged and accurate combat handguns in the world. If that is a door stop then most of the rest of the handguns built should be tossed in the garbage can, including about 3/4 of the 1911's.

I don't own a USP, for reasons stated above, but I own and have owned many HK's and 1911's. I would keep my 1911 personally over the USP if I liked the 1911. But, again that is me. I would trade a decent 1911 for an HK that fit my hand just right however, if I was interested in that kind of platform. The value of each is about the same again, but the rest YOU have to decide.

what does USP stand for? i have always bounced around between 1911s and glocks never completely satisfied with either however more satisfied with the 1911, to me the glock downfall is the polymer frame and origin of mfg, but mag capacity is great, and the 1911 is perfectly built but the mags and mag capacity seem wanting to me. that being said how would the hk fit in?

Edited by jdavis

Having owned an FNP-45, and fired several USP-45s, I can tell you that the FNP is at least as accurate (I think slightly more-so), better ergonomics, better trigger and better recoil characteristics. However... neither one can compare to a 1911 in any of those aspects. The only advantage either one has is greater magazine capacity and a DA/SA trigger. So, unless you just really want either one, I'd stick with the 1911 if it's just to shoot...

I am personally biased since I own several 1911s and a SA Operator. Love'm all. Especially the Operator. But like previous comments, I think you have as good a pistol, if not better, than the offered trades. And if you're not getting cash as you wanted, and you like the SA 1911, unless you just want a different gun, why trade?

Just my opinion.

I am personally biased since I own several 1911s and a SA Operator. Love'm all. Especially the Operator. But like previous comments, I think you have as good a pistol, if not better, than the offered trades. And if you're not getting cash as you wanted, and you like the SA 1911, unless you just want a different gun, why trade?

Just my opinion.

good point.

The HK Universal Self-Loading Pistol is a fantastic piece of gun.

I owned one for several years, carried it daily and never once had an issue with it. I beat the crap out of that gun and it kept on ticking, I trusted it implicitly. It shot great, was very accurate, and easily controllable.

I would say do the trade, but that's just me.

what does USP stand for? i have always bounced around between 1911s and glocks never completely satisfied with either however more satisfied with the 1911, to me the glock downfall is the polymer frame and origin of mfg, but mag capacity is great, and the 1911 is perfectly built but the mags and mag capacity seem wanting to me. that being said how would the hk fit in?

USP = Universal Service Pistol.

H&K USP's have polymer frames and are made in Germany (a country that shares it's border with Austria, which is where Glocks are from, except these days, for us North Americans, Glock's are mostly made in the USA, Smyrna, GA).

IMO, A USP fits in between the two as: far more reliable than your 1911, arguably as reliable as a Glock. They're usually DA/SA so a USP's action would be different or right in the middle of a 1911's single-action and a Glock's DAO depending on how you look at it (although it depends on the variant/trigger group and how you'll carry it as USP's can be had as a DAO LEM too or can be carried cocked n' locked)...

If it's more important that it go bang every time, I'd say make the trade or just get a Glock, if you're after the better trigger, you should keep the 1911...

If you desire both attributes: I'd say keep the 1911 and get a Glock too.:D

Edited by CK1

As you can probably tell I'm a Glock guy, although I do own a Wilson CQB also.. but if you made me choose I'd honestly take the Glock, it's a purpose built tool not unlike a hammer in it's simplicity and reliability, keeps me working on my skills rather than looking for a better gun... took me a while and I tried a lot of different guns to figure that out.

A friend of mine has a good way of looking at it and told me this once: "I shoot my 1911 until it F's up, than I shoot my Glock until I really miss a good trigger, then I go back to my 1911, etc... been doing this for a long time now..."

Good luck!

Edited by CK1

Here are a few more thoughts. First however, if you haven't heard this expression, then consider the following; opinions are like a**holes, everone has one. So with that in mind, I must tell you that as a soldier in Vietnam and other places I carried a government 1911 for many years. It was loose but when I carried it I knew that it was 100% reliable and that I could shoot it accurately enough to hit what I was shooting at. With that said I must tell you that currently I don't own a 1911. I shoot an HK 45 Tacital and two glocks (32 and 33). The HK is a true double action with a very smooth action. The glocks are simple, reliable and are the handguns that I carry. The 1911 is an outstanding firearm but from my perspecitve, the extra capacity of the tactical and its true double action along with the simplicity of the glock was more important to me. Don't ever let someone criticize the 1911 because it is a fantastic design but for my purposes, it was not what I needed. This brings us back to my comment about opinions.

my biggest thing with this springfield is that i bought it knowing it was an import it is one of the imported from brazil guns, and i doubted it from the start, but wanted that exact 1911 so i took it, i have tried everything to get this gun to misfire, i have put cheap weak mags in it ,and some awful ammo in it and it eats everything puts it where i want it to, and wants more. this thing even fired the imi ammo i had put in the do not fire box out of some old junky wore out off brand range mags and never missed a beat. i have grown to really like and trust this gun.

Sounds like you have a keeper... The only 1911 I ever had that really ran right was my first, an inexpensive RIA tactical, and I wish I still had it...

JMHO, but the funniest thing to me about the whole 1911 thing is that there are a lot of 1911-snobs who think if it didn't cost over 2K and wasn't made in the USA than it's junk, IMO, that's just not true, they're just mechanical devices built to do their thing, whether their parts were stamped in Mexico or forged in Michigan... and besides, if they don't work right, they're just about worthless as the only thing we can't buy back is time, when I go shooting, I want to shoot, not clear jams and start thinking I've got to buy some different mags or something to get my gun to work correctly. Plus, with very few exceptions, when I've run into guys at ranges with high dollar 1911's and small fortunes in gun collections at the range with them I've noticed that most can't even shoot worth a damn... they're busy thinking they need some newer better gun to shrink their groups or get them on target, when no gun is going to make them learn how to grip a pistol properly, work on their stance, and tune in their trigger control.

I wouldn't be concerned about where it was put together just about how it was put together. Be happy you got a good one and just buy lots of ammo and shoot the hell out of it!

i love my usp .45 i wouldnt take 2 1911 for it if i was in a real world need for a combat pistol. my brother just bought a nice 1911 and i hated every thing about it, didnt tell him that didnt want to be a ass. usp is laid out better, has faster reloads, but im 6'3" 260lb with big hands, hk usp is not a girly man pistol for sure so you little guys need to stick with your single stacks. 004-2.jpg