Walmart's Savage 10FXP

mousegunner

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Lets say you have two rifles and each weighs in at 7.5 pounds.

The rifle firing a 100 grain 0.243 WIN would have 8.8 ft/lb of felt recoil energy and a felt recoil velocity of 8.7 ft/s

The rifle firing a 150 grain 0.308 WIN would have 15.8 ft/lb of felt recoil energy and a felt recoil velocity of 11.7 ft/s

What are you going to use the rifle for? Hunting, or do you want to slowly start in the build of a target gun. I.E. buy something to start with now but eventually re-barrel and buy a better stock as time goes on?

Edited by TwoLaneBlackTop

I'm looking at the rifle primarily as a target shooting, develop my marksmanship, rifle. If it shoots well, I can see getting a better scope some day. I'm not interested in ever shooting beyond 200 yards.

LB, I can't find much about the 10FXP in the internet, but that's what it is. I think it is a 110 package specially for WalMart.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop
I'm looking at the rifle primarily as a target shooting, develop my marksmanship, rifle. If it shoots well, I can see getting a better scope some day. I'm not interested in ever shooting beyond 200 yards.

LB, I can't find much about the 10FXP in the internet, but that's what it is. I think it is a 110 package specially for WalMart.

I would go with the 0.308 then. It's a short action round and the most inertly accurate of the 4 calibers listed. If you reload it is an easy round to work up good loadings for, and the availability of match grade projectiles is much better for the 30 calibers. If you don't reload off the shelf match grade 0.308 has much greater availability than any of the other cartridges listed.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Also if you don't mind spending more a Remington 700 SPS tactical in 0.308 is the best off the shelf gun in my opinion for under $600. I built up a Winchester 70 in 0.308 myself for out to 500 yards and if I were to do it over I would have just bought the SPS, put optics on it and called it a day. The SPS tacial is typically a off the shelf sub MOA rifle, many have reported consistent 0.5 MOA groups with good ammunition.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop
Well, but I hate recoil. I won't be reloading. Is the ots 308 more accurate than the ots 243?

0.308 is inherently more accurate but most of us will not notice. 243 is a very accurate round as well, it's basically a necked down 0.308. If recoil is the major concern a 243 will serve you well. If you shoot a lot, and I mean lots, 243 will burn out a barrel faster but as you won't be reloading it would be doubtful that you would ever come close to this being a problem. Shooting 243 off the shelf ammo that much would be very expensive. But any ways the 243 will do fine for what you are asking of it. I still prefer the 308 myself though.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

One more thing, the 700 SPS Tactical I mentioned is also available for the same price in 0.223 Remington. That round is a good bit cheaper to shoot than 0.243 and is even lighter in terms of felt recoil. It would probably be a much better choice for you if you are indeed only looking for an accurate, affordable to shoot, light recoiling center-fire bolt action rifle.

I don't see the 10FXP on savage's web site.

Savage as well as several other companies (i.e., Marlin, Ruger) make 'special' model firearms to sell at big time retail shops. For example, dicks sporting goods carries a real nice Savage Model 10FCXP but its not the LE model with scope and bipod thats on Savage's website and its not on their website at all... it most closely resembles the Model 10FP but its not it either. Its a fine rifle ($699) but is made specifically for Dick's sporting goods. Alot of the Marlin 336's you see at Walmart and Dicks's etc. aren't on the companies websites. To the OP it sounds like a good price and looks like a decent rifle. The .243 is a great round too.

BTW lowbud, I recently grilled a Dick's Sporting Goods employee about this because of the rifle I mentioned and it having the same model number as the HE Preciscion stocked LE rifle on Savage's website... seemed like a good opportunity to let everyone know what I found out. :shrug:

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'll be 63 this year, and my shoulders are getting bony, so I prefer a lower recoil. I think I will pass on the .308, and get a .243. Just in case anyone ever asks me to go along deer hunting with them, I believe .223 might be just a tad too light. So I will opt for the .243. I noticed today at my local WalMart, too, that they are well-stocked in .243, moreso than the other calibers. Also, I'm sure the 700 is super excellent, but it's a few hundred dollars above my budget, especially by the time I paid for a scope.

Guest Plainsman
If it has the accutrigger id be all over it

The Savage I've seen at Walmart does have the accutrigger.

did you pick one up? Did they stock the rifle in all calibers or have to order them in?

Don't know the exact model, but I only saw it offered in 30-06 in any walmart I've been to recently. I guess you can order them? If so, kinda sucks I paid over $650 for my 10fp if they're the same thing!

The Savage I've seen at Walmart does have the accutrigger.

Don't know the exact model, but I only saw it offered in 30-06 in any walmart I've been to recently. I guess you can order them? If so, kinda sucks I paid over $650 for my 10fp if they're the same thing!

Well if you have a real 10fp then the stocks are different for sure don't know about everything else. From what i've seen:

Dicks: 22in (I think) Fluted heavy barrel, no checkering on forearm, forearm is a little wider than standard rifles but not as wide as the actual 10fp and it doesn't have a second sling stud - $699 with some kind of scope.

Walmart: I don't know, all I noticed from the glass was the forearm was narrow (normal) and there wasn't a second stud.

Savage Model 10FP: 24in heavy barrel, checkering on forearm and a second sling stud. *edit just checked savage website and 10fp doesn't have checkering on the forearm... my bad, I looked at this...http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62/products_id/78301 - it has the exact same part number as the one on the website though...maybe some of them have checkering and some don't.

Edited by jeremy155rr

I'd consider getting one myself and spend the funds on a mount, rings and scope and later on down the road I could add a nicer stock. It should by default have the same action and trigger as the LE model 10's, barrel may or may not be as nice, don't know?

Guest Plainsman

Yes, I have the "real" 10fp, although mine doesn't have the forearm checkering. Two sling studs is nice, but I must say that the stock is absolute crap. The stock will hopefully be upgraded one of these days. The heavy barrel is very nice, and the one at Wal Mart does not have the heavy barrel. I've never been a fan of the rifles which already have the optics on them. They usually aren't that good and it kinda takes the fun out of it. I'm happy with my purchase.

Guest abailey362

another option might be the 11FCXP3 model. I'm not sure what the differences are since the walmart model doeesn't have much info online about it. Skip's website has it listed at 384.99 with scope in .243

What is the price difference between .223 and .243 ammo? I would think that it would be substantial enough to be the deciding factor.

Do you go deer hunting?.... No….. So that is not even a factor in this decision. If someone out of the blue asks you to go they will probably out of the blue offer you a rifle to use also. :screwy:

My target rifle is a .308, but don’t let anyone kid you it kicks like a mule. Even the macho men will know when they have fired 100 rounds.

If I was not shooting past 400 yards I would go with a .223 heavy barrel. Don’t spend all your money on the gun because a quality scope is the other half of the equation.