Walmart's Savage 10FXP

mousegunner

Guest BackwoodsBum

One of the best things about the Savage rifles is that it is EXTREMELY easy to swap barrels so if you buy one and later decide you want a different caliber you can quickly (and cheaply) change calibers. You could get the 243 now and later if you decide to move up to a 308 you could find a Savage take-off barrel (usually $50-60) or pick up an A&B barrel from Midway (around $130) and swap it out. You can actually pick from any of a number of calibers that aren't offered by the factory, the only limitations are that the caliber you choose has to fit your action and your bolt face. The 243 is a short action so that pretty much limits you to the 308 family (243 Win, 260 Rem, 7-08, 308 Win, 338 Federal, 358 Win, etc.) You could also drop down to a 223 but that would require swapping the bolt head as well (another easy swap though). One of my toys that I've been playing around with a lot lately is a Savage 111 that I re-barreled to 338-06 :slap:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Plainsman

It may be fairly easy to swap the barrel, but can't say from any experience. I do know that my bolt is marked with the last four digits of my gun and it states in the manual to always use the bolt matched to the gun.

Guest FroggyOne2

Springfield1911, you can swap the barrels and the bolt heads on a accutrigger savage all day long.. you will be fine.. just make sure that you use a go gauge for each of the appropriate barrels.

Guest 1817ak47

I looked at that those rifles, then later got a mosin instead due to the price difference and being able to contain 5 rounds in the rifle.

I looked at that those rifles, then later got a mosin instead due to the price difference and being able to contain 5 rounds in the rifle.

I believe he wants something easy on the shoulder. The Mosin doesn't fit into that category lol.

Guest 1817ak47

I understand, I weigh 115 and I have no trouble shooting it though, I likely wouldn't want to shoot 100's of rounds a day though

Guest BackwoodsBum

Mousegunner, does the rifle you're looking at have the Savage P.A.D (Personal Anti-recoil Device) recoil pad? If so recoil shouldn't be a problem. At first I didn't like the feel of this pad but I've got to admit it really works. I'm shooting some heavy reloads in my 338-06 and recoil is pretty tame so a .243 should be a dream to shoot. If it doesn't have that I'd put a Decelerator pad on if you're worried about recoil. They make a pre-fit pad for Savage stocks so it's an easy swap.

Edited by BackwoodsBum

Yes it has the PAD, and the accutrigger. I bought it this afternoon. There was only the display model left, and I took it, even though it was missing the lens covers for the scope. The stock is el cheapo synthetic. The magazine is strictly interior (no trap door) and must be loaded one at a time from the top. But if it shoots straight, I'll be happy. Price was $384 plus tax and TBI check up. I picked up six boxes of .243 ammo (100 grain) too. So I'm good to go, and plan to do some sighting in asap. Here's a photo of the rifle....

sav243.jpg

I'm sure it will live up the the Savage reputation. Congrats!

You'll always be able to get ammo at WalMart for it. :)

Hopefully, the scope is sighted in. If not just go to the range, set up at 50 yrds, remove the bolt, and do some eyeball bore sighting.

Edited by Garufa
Guest Motocycleguy

Hi guys, new to the form and my first post and thought i would chime in as i have this gun. 10fxp .308 bought from walmart first of the year primarly for hog pest control here in fl. Its your basic savage cheap and accurate, The scope is on the weak side and has internal mag hold 4, but it does come with the accutriger, plush recoil pad and shoots VERY well. The papers that came with the gun says it was dialed in at 100 yards. They must have skiped mine cuz i shot 4 and it was not even close.. but was amased when i walked down to see the holes (shooting in to plywood) The group size was 2.5''!!! 42 click to the right and 20 clicks up dead center! I can shoot 2.5-3"" groups all day long on factory ammo. 150 grn winchester super X. This gun is cheap and hard to beat, IMO.....

Guest reaper1880

i have a savage model 10 left hand bolt,24 bull barrel its a ex police sniper rifle with accutrig and i love it even if iam right handed its very very accurate oh yeah its 308

I'd be interested in one of these, if they're made in .223. But, no one here mentions seeing one in .223. I have a .243 (model 10) in basically this same rifle and love it. I've been trying to find one in .223 for some time now. I don't want to be switching barrels back and forth... I want both calibers, .223 for coyotes and just fun shooting, and the .243 for deer hunting.

" To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth". Theodore Roosevelt

My understanding is that if you shoot a light bullet in .243, you have a fine varmint rifle. Heavier bullets for deer. Kind of an all purpose round. I have not seen this particular rifle in .223, but there ARE other makes of varmint rifles in .223.

My understanding is that if you shoot a light bullet in .243, you have a fine varmint rifle. Heavier bullets for deer. Kind of an all purpose round. I have not seen this particular rifle in .223, but there ARE other makes of varmint rifles in .223.

I want a .223 because the ammo is readily available locally, and considerably cheaper... especially in the lighter "varmint" grain weights. I will probably be shooting factory ammo most of the time. I already have two .243s, and just want a .223 in the make and model I specified. In fact, I might be interested in trading my Howa 1500 .243, with a Bell and Carlson stock and sling, and a hinged floor-plate, mounts and rings for one.

It does come in .223, but you may have to order it.

Actually, I was hoping to find a slightly used one... kind of like a slightly used car, to get some relief on the price. I figure if the brand new ones sell for $350 - $400 in the big sporting goods stores, or at Wal-Mart, a used one should be less. As a last resort, I could go to Wal-Mart or Dick's and order one. I hope you guys will help me find a good one... hint... hint!

• 1 month later...
Guest greensahara
Hi guys, new to the form and my first post and thought i would chime in as i have this gun. 10fxp .308 bought from walmart first of the year primarly for hog pest control here in fl. Its your basic savage cheap and accurate, The scope is on the weak side and has internal mag hold 4, but it does come with the accutriger, plush recoil pad and shoots VERY well. The papers that came with the gun says it was dialed in at 100 yards. They must have skiped mine cuz i shot 4 and it was not even close.. but was amased when i walked down to see the holes (shooting in to plywood) The group size was 2.5''!!! 42 click to the right and 20 clicks up dead center! I can shoot 2.5-3"" groups all day long on factory ammo. 150 grn winchester super X. This gun is cheap and hard to beat, IMO.....

you might want to try 180 grain i read some where that some one had that grouping then switched to the heavier grain bullet and was shooting 1'' groups.

I was curious if you had tried this and how it shot? i'm thinking of buying one of these rifles also lets us know