Why I won't sign-up for "benefactor" status, $20 for 6 months??

Guest crcksht

Guest crcksht

While I like the site, there's no way I can justify spending $20 for only 6 months(or even $35 for a year) of "benefactor" status just to place a couple of WTS/WTT ads when there are lots of free gun-related forums which require no payment in order to place a few ads. I have no doubt this forums would grow much faster (more web traffic) thereby giving you a greater opportunity to make more money from vendor ads, if you would remove that policy for non-vendors.

If I'm going to spend money in order to advertise gun-related items I'll take it somewhere with thousands of times more traffic than this site, like gunbroker.

Again, I like the site, and its nice to have a place to chat with local people on firearm related topics, but its just not a worthwhile place to sell and trade a few personal items with the current policy. I would consider $5-10 per year to be more than sufficient for a non-vendor. $35 per year for a non-vendor is just nuts.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clsutton21
While I like the site, there's no way I can justify spending $20 for only 6 months(or even $35 for a year) of "benefactor" status just to place a couple of WTS/WTT ads when there are lots of free gun-related forums which require no payment in order to place a few ads. I have no doubt this forums would grow much faster (more web traffic) thereby giving you a greater opportunity to make more money from vendor ads, if you would remove that policy for non-vendors.

If I'm going to spend money in order to advertise gun-related items I'll take it somewhere with thousands of times more traffic than this site, like gunbroker.

Again, I like the site, and its nice to have a place to chat with local people on firearm related topics, but its just not a worthwhile place to sell and trade a few personal items with the current policy. I would consider $5-10 per year to be more than sufficient for a non-vendor. $35 per year for a non-vendor is just nuts.

The point is not for David to make money! You must be a moron. I'm pretty sure that's he's not rolling around in a Bugatti burning cash to heat his home. The point of the charge is to keep out the people that would rip people off and to help support the forum...David does have to pay for us to have this resource ya know? I feel it's right to help him out in anyway possible...it's not free.

Oh and yeah, in before the lock.

The point is not for David to make money! You must be a moron. I'm pretty sure that's he's not rolling around in a Bugatti burning cash to heat his home. The point of the charge is to keep out the people that would rip people off and to help support the forum...David does have to pay for us to have this resource ya know? I feel it's right to help him out in anyway possible...it's not free.

Oh and yeah, in before the lock.

+1000000000

No one is twisting your arm making you become a benefactor.

Also you are right, there are other website setup up for buying and selling firearms that do way more business then TGO does in this Department and that is because this is not a Gun Store/Swap Shop. This is a Gun Forum that has a small place for the members who have decided to help finance this operation to buy, sell, or trade with each other.

I am a benefactor (before I was a mod) and I have bought only one firearm from a member and I have sold none. I pay the price because I enjoy the forum and would hate to see it go away due to funding problems.

• Admin Team

Thanks for sharing. And you felt the need to post this, why?

There are definite benefits to a local community. If you are offering something to sell, you can usually get it sold pretty quickly, and not have to worry about shipping, insurance and the fees that go along with listing something on GunBroker or the sort.

It still holds true that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Or maybe put a little bit better - Anything that is worth anything is worth paying something for. A lot of people benefit from this board. You may or may not be one of them. A lot of people think it is worth subsidizing the cost of running the forum. I'm pretty sure this site isn't hosted on a 6.95 a month shared web server.

Anyway. Good luck to you.

Dude this service is provided to "help keep it in the family". Also the site isn't free to maintain. If you don't want to do it there is no need to make your opinion known. Just don't do it. I payed it and have yet to make an offer or buy something. David I want my money back since you

just want to make money! Ha!

As I see it...

1. TGO belongs to David

2. He can recoup costs and even attempt to make a profit anyway he wants.

3. The direction he wants TGO to is up to him, good or bad, his decision. He will be held responsible for his actions by the success or failure of TGO. Not by anyone else.

4. You are entitled to your opinion. If you want to share it so be it.

5. By voicing it you will also hear other peoples opinions on the subject that may not agree with you and they will point out examples (as you have) to make their point.

6. It's just a gun board. (I like it, a lot. But let's be honest, we're not curing cancer here.:))

*Oh yeah, notice I too am not a "benefactor".

Guest jackdm3
Maybe he would be happier with a site riddled with Google ads along both sides of the page, the top and bottom, and after every few post :)

I ignore all of those. It's when I get those pop-ups midscreen that I tend to go elsewhere.

It is very apparent that you just don't "get it". The money is to help support the site, not make David rich. If it was all about the money I don't think he would be working his ass off at his regular job. I am a Benefactor because I love the site and I want it to prosper and grow. I have never used to classified forum to sell anything.

Guest clsutton21
It is very apparent that you just don't "get it". The money is to help support the site, not make David rich. If it was all about the money I don't think he would be working his ass off at his regular job. I am a Benefactor because I love the site and I want it to prosper and grow. I have never used to classified forum to sell anything.

Btw, you have PM

Guest jackdm3

See, Jason knows. You don't sell what you know will be used for the impending zombie invasion/apocalypse!

Thanks for sharing. And you felt the need to post this, why?

There are definite benefits to a local community. If you are offering something to sell, you can usually get it sold pretty quickly, and not have to worry about shipping, insurance and the fees that go along with listing something on GunBroker or the sort.

It still holds true that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Or maybe put a little bit better - Anything that is worth anything is worth paying something for. A lot of people benefit from this board. You may or may not be one of them. A lot of people think it is worth subsidizing the cost of running the forum. I'm pretty sure this site isn't hosted on a 6.95 a month shared web server. End Quote

Very well said, and was pretty much my orginal commentary: so I'll just add this. I don't always agree with everyone here and some high-handed, infamatory and obnoxious comments (on both sides of the OP/Mod line)

are unnecessary and in bad taste and of questionable judgent. The site itself is helpful, informative and entertaining, and as far as benefactor fees for selling or trading, sure there are no fee sites, but I've bought from guys here locally and would much rather do that than fool with shipping and transfer fees. Just my :poop:y:2cents: worth of opinion.

Edited by hipower

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasongar8 viewpost.gif

See, Jason knows. You don't sell what you know will be used for the impending zombie invasion/apocalypse!

+1billion!!!!!!!

To the OP,

While I have sold a few things on here, that is NOT the reason I am a Benefactor. I support this site in any way that I can and will continue to do so just because some of the Best folks in the state of Tennessee and a few other states are all cordial members here. If you feel that what David is asking for to be a Benafactor member is an unreasonable price, (i strongly disagree) Do not become one, why in the Hell did you post a thread on it? :)

Guest tennesseevolz

I need to become a benefactor on here, but to date I have not- but I do purchase my guns and accesories from the supporting vendors- thank you Hero-Gear, On- Target, Guns and leather, and The Outpost Armory----for picking up some of the slack that I have left--

David Great site!!!!

BTW- OP- ###.COM is free, but it sucks, and the people do not tend to get back with you quickly---- But I bet if everyone was paying something to sell (like on this fine site) that the response would be quicker-------

just my 2cents

I would be willing to bet most of the Benefactors did so before the current restrictions were attached. It had nothing to do with the Trading section. It was more of a small community taking care of each other even though we all do not agree.:) If you miss that then you don't understand a local forum or community for that matter. Gunbroker is what you are looking for.

thanks "crcksht" upon reading this post, it was just what I needed to stop my procrastination and become a benefactor. See good things can come from post such as this. If my math is correct that comes to .09 cents per day :) WHAT! .09 cents per day, on my gosh what have I done! Simply become a supporter.:D

Edited by bockey
took out some rambling :)