Thru hiking the AT

Guest ab28

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ab28
Thanks for your post! Any anecdotes of your trek on the AT are most welcome. How much water do you consume in a day? Is it readily available or do you have to ration it?

On a hot day, it can be as much as 2 gallons. I carry a half gallon gatorade jug for my water bottle, which is 2 quarts. I keep this full, and usually drink a whole one with each meal. Water has been fairly common so far, Pennsylvania is supposedly short on water. I usually "tank up" on water at a source, then drink on my bottle if I need it. On rainy days I can drink a couple of quarts and not even need water for around 10 miles. Hot days, I take frequent breaks and snack and drink water.

My trail name is Hollywood, I just got into Harper's Ferry, West Virginia, a little over 1000 miles in. I normally do 15-20 miles a day, a nice relaxing hike, I hate to rush, but sometimes it is necessary. I do not want to be out here to just grind out miles. I have an Esbit stove that I use, but I spent 3 weeks with my magnesium bar starting 2 fires a day. I was able to get one going after 2 days of a monster rainstorm with birch bark and rotten wood. I always use rotten wood as my fire base, as it smolders and when you blow on it, it makes a huge bed of coals.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ab28

I am halfway through Pennslyvania, did a 35 mile day yesterday. I am taking a day off today to shower, wash clothes, and clean equipment.

Guest friesepferd

fun. i had a bunch of friends that did a month or two's worth. i was gonna join but ended up in germany instead. lots of fun. wave when u are in the NE TN section!

I have been doing upper 20's, going to take a couple of days off, as my knees and shins are starting to hurt. I just got into Kent, CT, with about 700 miles left to go. The heat is getting pretty bad, and I have started taking long lunch breaks in the middle of the afternoon. NY was much more mountainous than I expected, and water was hard to get there.

Good going, always been a to do for me. I got a good bit of the NH AT done when I lived there. At least it will be a bit cooler there since you will be at higher elevation and water is more plentiful. It is some of the most exposed terrain on the entire trial though so watch the weather and it was difficult for me but by now you probably won't have any issues.

Just got into Dalton, Massachusetts, with 620 miles left. I am taking 3 days off to rest up at this hostel. Eating a lot of high calorie foods and drinking a ton of Gatorade and water. I should be done within two months. I think the readjustment will be harder than I expected, as I have spent the last 4 months living in the woods and hiking all day.