Ruger 10/22 adjustable stocks

Guest mn32768

Guest mn32768

Has anyone experience with adjustable stocks for Ruger 10/22?

I bought a Ruger 10/22 Compact plinker for my daughter for her birthday. The length of pull is a little bit too long for her, and a little bit too short for me. I've been browsing aftermarket stocks online (ATI, Knoxx, Tapco, Nordic Components...) but there are varying reports about fit and finish. I'm not interested in looks or "tacticool" benefits but functionality -- any suggestions?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a ATI on one of my 10/22s and it is pretty good. I've had a Tapco and they were OK too. However, the ATI is what I keep on a particular 10/22 to keep its weight down and to allow for an easy adjustable stock. I put a vertical foregrip on it for a time, but liked the set-up better without the grip.

The nicest stock in that list of yours is by far, the Nordic kit. However, it is extremely pricey. Out of everything that is left, if the nordic is a bit too much, drop the money on the tapco stock. It is a nice stock for what it is and can be used with iron sights or with a scope by changing the angle of the tube. I have heard from a few people that their tapco needed a little sandpaper but it was never very bad.

Full blown Tapco Fusion set-up with a SS 10/22. This is one of the grandkids three favorite guns when they come to visit. The other two are a Henry 1000Y (youth) and a Ruger Bearcat SS (the John Wayne guns). This set up is their Army Gun. We shoot metal reactive targets and they love it. The stock fits the whole range, 8 year old princess to 16 year old football player! I am very satisfied with the TAPCO product. I dropped the long high capacity mags after many, many Failure to Feeds. I just bought 10 stock Ruger rotaries, so we have plenty of ammo.

DE6C7E9C661C44CD8A44FCD64C0191A0.jpg

Full blown Tapco Fusion set-up with a SS 10/22. This is one of the grandkids three favorite guns when they come to visit. The other two are a Henry 1000Y (youth) and a Ruger Bearcat SS (the John Wayne guns). This set up is their Army Gun. We shoot metal reactive targets and they love it. The stock fits the whole range, 8 year old princess to 16 year old football player! I am very satisfied with the TAPCO product. I dropped the long high capacity mags after many, many Failure to Feeds. I just bought 10 stock Ruger rotaries, so we have plenty of ammo.

DE6C7E9C661C44CD8A44FCD64C0191A0.jpg

Thats a good looking 10/22

Thats a good looking 10/22

Cries for a long mag, though.

WJH, you got any Butler Creek Steel Lips among those you've tried?

If so, get silicone spray lube, give em a 3 second blast up through little hole in bottom of mag, shake mag, give another blast, shake well, let dry.

Mine run pretty much 100% this way with most any load.

- OS

Yup, tried Butler Creek too. I even tried the all metal ones. Nothing worked as well as the standard 10 shot rotary mags. I probably could have got something to work with more "mods" and time but it didn't seem worth the hassle with the standard mags doing the job so well. I bought a belt and 9 of the Cabellas mag pouches and made a "bandolier" so I have plenty of ammo to use.

Yup, tried Butler Creek too. I even tried the all metal ones. Nothing worked as well as the standard 10 shot rotary mags. I probably could have got something to work with more "mods" and time but it didn't seem worth the hassle with the standard mags doing the job so well. I bought a belt and 9 of the Cabellas mag pouches and made a "bandolier" so I have plenty of ammo to use.

Have you thought about tactical innovations 25 round metal mags? I know a few of them cost about as much as a 10/22 but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Here's mine ....... ..nd the bottom is a custom made adjustable stock that I purchased last year. There is a removeable 3/4" section to shorten the overall length for when my kids want to shoot. ...

That stock is really quite something, never seen anything like it.

Did you buy the bolt jeweled that way, or have someone do it?

- OS

Can't take credit for any of it ......... bought it the way you see it from a local guy back home who needed the cash. He did say it wasn't too difficult to modify the stock - which I believe was a standard carbine model.

Same for the jeweling ........ not sure if it is custom or purchased. It may be custom as well - I believe he said he worked as a tool and die maker.

He said that he made it this way for his kids to use becuase it was difficult to find anything that would fit them properly ......... and I purchased it for the exact same reason. Pretty good idea if you ask me ......... makes it one of a kind and doesn't really cost you any $$ if your somewhat handy with woodworking and can find some pieces of hard-wood.

That's a whistle pig barrel as well ........... if anyone wondered.

Edited by FIRERESCUEO2
RimfireCentral.com has many posts on WP barrels, options, accuracy, etc. if your considering an upgrade ............. just use the search function on the forums and check them out.

I've actually spent significant time on RimFireCentral; somehow, the Whistle Pig brand name just didn't stick in the few remaining brain cells.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest mn32768

TAPCO it is... the adjustable stock required a rubber mallet to pound in, other than that, took about 10 mins to swap the stock. The package was missing the allen wrench to tighten the bolts but aside from that, a very decent quality stock.

9d1270425928-10-22-p1040111.jpg