9mm Carbine shoot off reliability test

Recently I acquired a KelTec Sub 2000 9mm that uses Glock mags. And for some reason I couldn't resist what looked to be an unfired HiPoint 995TS for a good price at the local gunshop. I loaded up a bunch of Glock mags and the 5 HiPoint mags I have with Russian Silver Bear steel cased 9mm. I took them to my favorite range and had people shoot these two. Age of shooters ranged from 8 yrs old to 84 yrs old. Both functioned flawlessly. We had the 8 yr old shooting styrofoam cups with the HiPoint 995TS at 25 yards as fast as he could go. The HiPoint handles well for a short 7lb carbine, the NCStar pistol scope worked well on this gun. This new HiPoint stock set-up has a recoil absorbing stock with something akin to 3 shock absorbing encased springs making recoil about the same as a .22LR rifle. The Keltec was more fun to me and likely accurate enough for me in light of the fact that I have several 31 round mags for it. Again, each was totally reliable. This is the first KelTec carbine I have shot and the second HiPoint. Interestingly both HiPoints were 100% reliable. Both are fun guns.

HiPointKelTec.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This makes me want a 9mm carbine. Since I own 2 9mm Glocks the Sub2k is the obvious choice for me. I had one for a while but I really wanted something else so I sold it. I liked it except I hated the cheapo front sight. Anyone have any experience with the Olympic Arms 9mm? I heard some negative info but not from anyone who's actually owned one. My KT was reliable and easy to strip/clean but I just didn't love it for some reason. I also like the look and feel of the Storm but if I'm gonna spend that much and not use my Glock mags I might as well get a .223.

I have a ts995. It is fun to shoot though I do not find it overly accurate. Makes a good plinker certainly. It would make a fine home defense rifle too. (aside from the magazine size limitations).

Never handled the Kel tec

Guest 73challenger
73challenger,

Holy Smokes! Uses Glock mags? I didn't know LWD was working on a project like that. I've been waiting for their Glock-like pistol receiver.

Wow, I hadn't heard of the glock receiver's. My dad used to have a 17 and I wasn't a huge fan of it. However building a custom glock would be nice. Are there aftermarket slides? A 9mm AR is in my future sometime.

... Interestingly both HiPoints were 100% reliable. ..

Magazines are the only weak point of Hi-Point carbines.

They get bent easily as they are pretty thin gauge metal. Almost all probs with running the rifle are mag related.

And of course, only 10 rounds.

The 15 round ProMags are even worse.

- OS

I may end up getting another Sub 2000 at some point. It was reliable, used Glock mags, and easy to break-down and clean. That last part is important to me as 1) I'm an admitted newbie 2) I have have a family, demanding job, and other hobbies and 3) I want to spend what time I have shooting and not tinkering.

I like the look and feel of the Beretta Storm so much more but I really want to have mags compatible with my Glocks.

Any ideas?

I recently bought the Sub2000 in 9mm and shot it last week for the first time. I found it difficult to get my cheek down on the gun to view the sights. I had no problem seeing the front sight but aligning it with the rear was difficult. It shot good and even with this slight issue my grouping was good at 50yrds. I had the 33 rd. 9mm Glock mag which made it even more fun to shoot.

ive been debating getting a 9mm carbine as well. i would like to get a KT but now i may build a LWD AR if they ever get them back in. the KT gets the nod for compact but the AR is what im more familiar with.

i did shoot the HP and didnt like it at all.

I had put a red dot scope on my TS995. Could never quite sort out if the gun shoots 5 inch patter or if the sight only allows for that kind of accuracy. At any rate I could not get a reliable cheek weld to the stock with the red dot. I think that had a lot to do with poor accuracy.

So I took the red dot off, put the iron sights back on and am satisfied with how it shoots.

And I think the TS model looks good. It certainly feels good shooting it.

I found it difficult to get my cheek down on the gun to view the sights. I had no problem seeing the front sight but aligning it with the rear was difficult.

I had this issue too. The Tacticool products bolt tube cover made it more comfortable, but I still couldn't get a quick sight picture with the gun. I really wanted to love the Sub2K. Unfortunately, this sight picture issue, and the general cheapness of the front sight, drove me nuts.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest SUNTZU

I've got a KelTec sub2k that takes Glock mags. I've only been able to shoot it during one trip but am very satisfied with its performance.

I had this issue too. The Tacticool products bolt tube cover made it more comfortable, but I still couldn't get a quick sight picture with the gun. I really wanted to love the Sub2K. Unfortunately, this sight picture issue, and the general cheapness of the front sight, drove me nuts.

I would have to agree on the cheap sight. I have some connections at a local machine shop and had a custom sight machined but I have not installed it yet.

Guest Catdaddy

Being a low-buck kinda guy- due to child support.. I bought the Hi-Point. I love it- it is my favorite range gun now, and I can consistently ring the iron plate at 50 yards with the factory sights.

Feeds reliably, although I would like a larger mag. I have three Hi-point pistols, and all work well.

I accidentally broke my C9 the other day, and the factory didn't flinch at fixing it free, though it WAS my fault... And the used 45 I bought needed a mag catch and rear sight- which they furnished free,

I'll definitely buy the 40 with the new stock, and the 45 when it comes out.

When I can afford better, I'll buy better- but I'll keep these, too.

I would have to agree on the cheap sight. I have some connections at a local machine shop and had a custom sight machined but I have not installed it yet.

Great, I'll just wait until you get it really tricked out and then I'll buy it back from you! :D