9mm Carbine shoot off reliability test

I don't want to flog a dead horse here, but a 9mm Parabellum cartridge produces the same kinetics regardless of what firearm it is fired in. The more mass (heavier) the firearm is, the less the felt recoil will be. It's just physics. A firing 9mm can only move so much mass in reaction to the projectile and once it's moved the weight of the weapon, the residual energy becomes felt recoil. So unless your "carbine" weighs less than your pistol, it is impossible for the recoil to be any more. If you really want to get technical, the felt recoil from a should fired weapon is spread out over a larger surface area (stock to shoulder vs. pistol grip to palm) than a pistol and that further reduces felt recoil.
Definitely maybe...

Something you have to consider is that with a carbine, less of the propellant escapes before the bullet leaves the (longer) barrel, allowing greater force behind the bullet (thus the higher speeds recorded from pistol cartridges fired from carbines) which therefore increases the opposite reaction - recoil - proportionally.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to shoot one of those one day. I bought the Sub2ooo as it was available in .40 Glock magazine configuration and I'm WAY into caliber consolidation. I really like the rifle, but lots of folks like that 995, too.

HiPoint makes a .40 carbine. The 4095 of all things. I have not shot one but I am guessing it is pleasurable like the 995 is. If I saw one used for under 2 beans I would buy it.

HiPoint makes a .40 carbine. The 4095 of all things. I have not shot one but I am guessing it is pleasurable like the 995 is. If I saw one used for under 2 beans I would buy it.

I've never seen one period.

Looks like the fabled unicorn of carbines, the HP .45 really IS gonna happen though.

- OS

I've never seen one period.

Looks like the fabled unicorn of carbines, the HP .45 really IS gonna happen though.

- OS

I have seen them before, but only NIB. IIRC they were about tendollars more than the 995. But I do agree I have not seen one lately.

I will believe the 4595 when I see T & T selling me one. :D

It's on their website with an estimated available date of Aug. It may have always been there I don't know.

No, it hasn't.

That's why I figure it must finally be close to a reality, as they've never mentioned it onsite before.

- OS

I don't want to flog a dead horse here, but a 9mm Parabellum cartridge produces the same kinetics regardless of what firearm it is fired in.

The kinetics are the same, but the ballistics are totally different. Don't forget that the energy from the firing of a cartridge happens in the chamber....not the casing.

Barrel length does, in fact, matter. 2" of combustion vs. 18" of combustion produces profoundly different energies. Twice as much in some cases. Recoil is proportionate.

Guest RangeMstr
The kinetics are the same, but the ballistics are totally different. Don't forget that the energy from the firing of a cartridge happens in the chamber....not the casing.

Barrel length does, in fact, matter. 2" of combustion vs. 18" of combustion produces profoundly different energies. Twice as much in some cases. Recoil is proportionate.

In the case of a HiPoint I believe you are incorrect. These weapons are blow-back operated not recoil operated. I do agree with you that in a locked barrel recoil operated system (eg Glock, SIG) that barrel length has an effect on interior ballistics as the action stays locked, and therefore pressurized so to speak, until just after the projectile leaves the barrel.

This thread is about the illustrious HiPoint, a blow back design, whose chamber is vented at the same instant regardless of how long the barrel is. Thats one of the reasons a blowback guns can produce lower muzzle velocities than a recoil gun of the same barrel length.

Guest jimdigriz
Interestingly both HiPoints were 100% reliable.

My Hi Point carbine was 100% reliable - until it wasn't. That was around round 300. After that, it would misfeed at least one round nose up per magazine. I sent it back to the factory, and they fixed it, at least for the moment. But my confidence it it was gone. Sold it at the next gun show. Too bad. A very fun gun, when it was working right.

My Hi Point carbine was 100% reliable - until it wasn't. That was around round 300. After that, it would misfeed at least one round nose up per magazine. I sent it back to the factory, and they fixed it, at least for the moment. But my confidence it it was gone. Sold it at the next gun show. Too bad. A very fun gun, when it was working right.

Almost certainly a magazine issue. The feed lips get bent too far apart easily.

And yes, several mags will tend to do it at about the same time if you use them equally.

- OS