Worst Handgun Range in TN - Stones River TWRA

Guest SpoonMan3

Guest trumpettgriffin

Wow, it's hard for me to believe some folks are giving this place such harsh remarks. I've always felt like it was as safe as it could be - the RSOs could be occasionally paranoid I suppose but I've never seen (or been) dressed down or otherwise corrected on a rule in an unprofessional or undiscret manner.

The patrons do sometimes alarm me. My observation is that some potentially unsafe shooters come there. In those situations I'm glad for an over-eager range officer.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Highlander

Maybe next time I'm in Nashville on business I'll have time to check this place out. And Tim, I certainly wouldn't have considered it had you not come on here to explain some of the apparent animosity.

I don't mind rules when someone can explain the sense of them to me. I HATE self-important little people and the rules they arbitrarily create to make their inferior little selfs seem relevant. If your RSO's fall in that category, we will not like each other. I don't mind them reinforcing safety, and I've certainly been guilty of goofing. No problem pointing it out to me at all. I just don't suffer idiots well when they spout rules, but are unable to explain the reasons for them.

On the other hand, banning all silhouette targets is a little silly. I'd do what someone else suggested and have them available for purchase from you. That way you can control the pc angle, and the size problem, while still providing us a target appropriate to our sport. It might also make you a little money as well. I have no problem buying them from the range, if the prices are reasonable. I think most people wouldn't mind supporting the range that way, and I've been to several with that requirement.

Also, the one target per frame would probably prevent me from shooting there, if I lived nearby. I understand you don't want the frames shot up, and that is a good reason to limit the "shootable" portions of the frame that can be used. However, being able to hang say four targets at a time, while the range is cold makes for less downtime if you are trying different loads, shooting different weapons and switching from one to the other, or various other reasons I can think of. After sighting in, my preferred targets are cheap paper plates, and I generally put up about four at a time.

Do I understand you don't allow personal target frames? Why in the world not? That would seem to eliminate your need to rebuild shot up frames, while providing us the ability to tailor our frames to our need.

Thanks again for posting,

The Highlander

One of the things I like most about Stones River... the entire range area is gravel, with concrete walkways to the target stands. The holes that support the stands are actually in the concrete, which fixes the width of the stands. So, making the stands wider is not as simple as it would be at other ranges. Besides, they don't seem to have any trouble attracting some of the largest crowds in the state.

I like the freedom from check points and fences at Southside, but I really like the freedom from mud at Stones River. I like bigger pistol targets too, but it's not a deal breaker. Besides, I spend a lot of time on the rifle range as well, and really appreciate their system (same one) on that side.

Guest motonut
Maybe next time I'm in Nashville on business I'll have time to check this place out. And Tim, I certainly wouldn't have considered it had you not come on here to explain some of the apparent animosity.

Do I understand you don't allow personal target frames? Why in the world not? That would seem to eliminate your need to rebuild shot up frames, while providing us the ability to tailor our frames to our need.

Thanks again for posting,

The Highlander

Their frames are about 6' tall in order to shoot into the berm rather than into the gravel or the walkway. They're 2 post but with PVC sunk into concrete to keep the frames (mostly) stable. Bringing your own frame would be very impractical.

There are several 5 target per sheet targets, I use them all the time there. Larger target in the center 4 smaller ones at each corner. Work well for me.

For clarification for people who haven't been, there are 6" or so deep holes in the concrete with 4" or 5" diameter PVC pipe set in them. Sort of like big putt-putt golf holes. The legs of the frames just sit down in them. There is a set of holes for each lane at 5, 10, and 15 yards, then at 50'. So for Tim and crew to widen the frames to accomodate silhouettes, they'd have to chop out the concrete and move the holes. In addition to being expensive, it would also cause the frames to be closer to one another, or cause the loss of a few lanes to keep the spacing appropriate, which would require further expense in changing the firing bench and screens.

Tim, have you, or would you perhaps consider changing the structure on some of the lanes, but not others? Like maybe on the last 5 lanes or something? That, along with range-sold silhouettes could give you a controlled way to reintroduce silhouettes and give you a feel for how much demand there is to determine if it's worth expanding it to additional lanes. Since I'm asking for the moon, why not go ahead and say that motorized target holders would be the best thing ever....

Keep up the good work.

monkeylizard, a happy SRHEC customer.

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest dizzielizzie

I have made it to Stones River twice and like it there... I didn't like the "one target per frame" rule either, but they gotta do what they gotta do... I took a friend the second time, and (it must of been Jenny) she came around & made sure my friend didn't slice their thumb off (from holding the gun wrong, I told 'em before we got there, gotta watch your grip on the little buggers....)

But for $5.50 I got a covered range, well ventilated (yeah, the fans) and someone to make sure all were shooting safe!

Wish practice ammo was cheaper... (sigh.)

Thanks again for all the good things that are being said about Stones River Range after the way this topic started.

I wanted to let all of you at TGO know that I have read and listened and now silhouettes are coming to Stones River. Based on a suggestion by someone here, the only silhouette allowed will have to be purchased at the range. Not so the range can make money but so the type and size of silhouette can be controlled. Hopefully with this bigger target, some of you will be able to see where you bullets are going. This change should take care of alot a complaints.

The last couple of pages of this topic has taken a definite turn from the original post. I think it is time to start a new topic and consider this one dead.

Tim

Guest JHatmaker
Thanks again for all the good things that are being said about Stones River Range after the way this topic started.

I wanted to let all of you at TGO know that I have read and listened and now silhouettes are coming to Stones River. Based on a suggestion by someone here, the only silhouette allowed will have to be purchased at the range. Not so the range can make money but so the type and size of silhouette can be controlled. Hopefully with this bigger target, some of you will be able to see where you bullets are going. This change should take care of alot a complaints.

The last couple of pages of this topic has taken a definite turn from the original post. I think it is time to start a new topic and consider this one dead.

Tim

I agree, and thanks for the updated information.