Worst Handgun Range in TN - Stones River TWRA

Guest SpoonMan3

I hate it there too. I went with my wife and a buddy I used to work with only because I forgot Owl Hollow was closed that weekend and the car was loaded up and we wanted to shoot somewhere. It was NOT a fun shooting experience. We had to wait for over an hour to use the rifle range. I couldn't even enjoy it because of the range nazis and all their nitpicky rules. Safety is great and very important, but that place is not pleasant at all. I'll never go back.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! I'll just keep shooting at home. The only lady who yells at me there is my wife, and she only yells when supper is ready.:P

I'm envious!I don't know what would be better - being able to shoot at home or having a wife that would cook. Ok, so the shooting would be better. Wendy's is more convenient than the range!

Let's see. One target per came about because of too many idiots shooting up the target frames.

They did ramp up the safety enforcement right after some idiot managed to shoot himself in the abdomen while trying to clear a jam.

In general I've had pretty good experiences there.

Guest Overtaker

I'm going to nominate the John Sevier TWRA range in Knoxville for the worst.

A guy shooting in the lane to my immediate left was shooting an AK47. There isn't a screen between each lane, thus his casings repeatedly landed on myself and on my bench. I was also muzzle swept numerous times by his AK and pistols.

If it has rained in the past couple of days, you get to walk through mud & the mud cakes onto your shoes.

Everyone puts their targets up & is waiting for the go-ahead to commence firing. However, someone new rolls in and the RSOs let them put a target up 100yds out. That person gets done and an additional new person comes up and the RSOs let that person put a target up (100yds). From ceasefire to commence firing was nearly 20 minutes...

The only upsides compared to Stones River is that targets are free and so are spotting scopes!

Guest SpoonMan3
I'm going to nominate the John Sevier TWRA range in Knoxville for the worst.

A guy shooting in the lane to my immediate left was shooting an AK47. There isn't a screen between each lane, thus his casings repeatedly landed on myself and on my bench. I was also muzzle swept numerous times by his AK and pistols.

If it has rained in the past couple of days, you get to walk through mud & the mud cakes onto your shoes.

Everyone puts their targets up & is waiting for the go-ahead to commence firing. However, someone new rolls in and the RSOs let them put a target up 100yds out. That person gets done and an additional new person comes up and the RSOs let that person put a target up (100yds). From ceasefire to commence firing was nearly 20 minutes...

The only upsides compared to Stones River is that targets are free and so are spotting scopes!

Hahaha - that is hilarious and truly does sound like a night mare.

Guest Sgt. Joe
We have to keep up with how many rounds and what caliber we shoot so that they know when it's time to perform maintenance on the backstop. Not sure if it would matter with an outdoor range. This is possible explanation.

Thanks for that info. My little indoor range always asks how many we fired also, and I always wondered why.....NOW I know:) And it even makes sense which is kinda uncommon these days.

They also require one to leave their brass but will make exceptions for members who are also re-loaders, or at least ask for permission to pick up their own. They are very easy going folks and always try to please the customers.

I clean up after others if need be to help out. One day I even set the alarm off by reaching too far with the broom to sweep up.....Oppps:eek:

I always figured they sold/traded the brass back to whomever they get their range reloads from. Not being a reloader I dont mind not having to pick it up. I did plenty of that in the military and still didnt get to keep it:rolleyes:

I'm envious!I don't know what would be better - being able to shoot at home or having a wife that would cook. Ok, so the shooting would be better. Wendy's is more convenient than the range!

Well for me I would take the cooking more often (looking over shoulder) and better. My range is less than a mile from my house so it is very convenient, being a better cook than the Ms, not so much so at times.:P

She knows it and takes advantage of me....bawaaaaWaaaa

I do wish I lived where I could shoot at home. Throw some grub on the grill and send some down range while it cooks....Now that is perfection IMO :D

As for the OP....I have never been to that range.

But the idea of shooting each others weapons has to be accomplished one way or another.

Either safely handing it to your friend as you described, or by switching lanes. Otherwise I do not see how it could be done???

We were told to simply leave them on the bench and change lanes. Which IMO is the safest way.

Sounds to me like you simply dont have the option to shoot each others guns there.....Strange.

My experience has been nothing but outstanding. I like Jenny and take her with a grain of salt. The RSO's have been very helpful in their dealings with me and have answered many questions for me. Sorry you had what you consider a bad experience. Like someone else said they don't know you or your experience level and I am not sure that it matters. With all the new shooters there, the rules have to be strictly enforced. If a new shooter sees you doing something that the range has deemed unsafe for all to do, they will copy it. Safety is the main concern and after looking at the guy next to me trying to clear his gun with it pointed at me, I go for SAFETY. Don't know for sure but they probably didn't open the other range due to lack of RSO's especially if they are very busy.:P FWIW's I am a yr member and go most weekends. I think it is a very good value for the money spent. :D:rock:

I would like to Highly recommend that everyone go to the range on Sundays. That is by far the least busiest day and you will have the most fun then.;) Fridays is not the day to go. Way too Busy, Bad RSO's, longer lines, 3 hr waits . Just unbelievable.:shake:DO NOT GO ON FRIDAYS!! IT'S THE PITTS. MY HONEST OPINION.. I mean anyone who says to go on fridays must be smoking crack...:lol:

Edited by JG55

I would like to Highly recommend that everyone go to the range on Sundays. That is by far the least busiest day and you will have the most fun then.:biglol: Fridays is not the day to go. Way too Busy, Bad RSO's, longer lines, 3 hr waits . Just unbelievable.:shake:DO NOT GO ON FRIDAYS!! IT'S THE PITTS. MY HONEST OPINION.. I mean anyone who says to go on fridays must be smoking crack...:cool:

Really? The guys that work at the range have always said Friday is the best day. I have always gone on the weekends.

Guest jimdigriz
Really? The guys that work at the range have always said Friday is the best day. I have always gone on the weekends.

My strategy is to go right at opening time on Saturday or Sunday. With an annual membership, you can just walk right by all the people in line to get tickets.

Originally Posted by mikegideon viewpost.gif

:lies::cool::shhh::wall: They're :shake::crazy: I tell ya!!! Friday NO GOOD!!! SUNDAY GOOD!!:biglol:

:cheers:

Guest jackdm3
I don't like getting yelled at over stupid stuff... so I won't be going there. I'd get kicked out.

What stupid stuff do you do?:cool:

My last offense (4 or 5 years ago) at a local big-named range that doesn't deserve a mention, was sitting on the bench behind the lanes and loading extra mags while waiting my turn to shoot.

Edited by jackdm3
What stupid stuff do you do?:cool:

My last offense (4 or 5 years ago) at a local big-named range that doesn't deserve a mention, was sitting on the bench behind the lanes and loading extra mags while waiting my turn to shoot.

Stupid stuff like drawing from the holster, and practice double tapping silhouette targets... Sounds like that'd be enough to give ol' Jenny an anneurism.

Ah yes... the wussification of America has even reached our shooting ranges.

I suppose that they would not approve of me bringing my chrono and portable reloading setup to test some new loads in 1 grain increments.

I've thought about taking my chrony out there, but never have. They're pretty much 15 minutes live, and 5 minutes cold. Probably better off throwing on some body armor and going to Cheatham for that :cool: