Worst Handgun Range in TN - Stones River TWRA

Guest SpoonMan3

I go to the Stones River range a lot, and think some of you guys need to cut the RSO's a little slack.

Yes - I've been growled at once or twice for perhaps insignificant things, but I understand how difficult it must be to handle some of the people I've seen shooting there, and their lack of knowledge or disregard of common safety practices. I've been there when the safety inspection reveals guns that would be dangerous to shoot or people who don't have the first clue about how to handle a weapon. I don't mind at all putting up with the RSO's and the range rules - it's a safe, inexpensive place to shoot.

By the way - Friday is a great day to go, especially if you're there in the morning when they open. I haven't tried Sunday, but Saturdays can be packed.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to the Stones River range a lot, and think some of you guys need to cut the RSO's a little slack.

Yes - I've been growled at once or twice for perhaps insignificant things, but I understand how difficult it must be to handle some of the people I've seen shooting there, and their lack of knowledge or disregard of common safety practices. I've been there when the safety inspection reveals guns that would be dangerous to shoot or people who don't have the first clue about how to handle a weapon. I don't mind at all putting up with the RSO's and the range rules - it's a safe, inexpensive place to shoot.

By the way - Friday is a great day to go, especially if you're there in the morning when they open. I haven't tried Sunday, but Saturdays can be packed.

I agree. I would prefer a more relaxed experience. It's 3 miles from by house, so I'm more inclined to put up with it. Their personality changes somewhat when it's only 4 or 5 experienced shooters on the line.

I won't do the waiting list. If it's that packed, I just try another time.

What did "yankee" add to that phrase?

I just want to know.

I found it very informative. All my life I've seen people move to Tennessee from northern states to escape all the hight taxes, high crime, expensive property, etc. After there here a short while, something inside them urges them to try and change Tennessee into exactly what they left. That's what I imagine he meant by the statement.

Before we married, a northern couple moved next door to my wife's family farm. These people had never seen a tobacco plant. I wasn't but a couple of weeks before they were out there telling my in-laws how to raise tobacco. This is but one example out of many.

Fridays is not the day to go. Way too Busy, Bad RSO's, longer lines, 3 hr waits . Just unbelievable.;)DO NOT GO ON FRIDAYS!! IT'S THE PITTS. MY HONEST OPINION.. I mean anyone who says to go on fridays must be smoking crack...:rolleyes:

What the heck are you smoking my friend? Was there in October, showed up around 1:00 and had no wait. May have been 5 others on the rifle range, few on the pistol. Now I must admit that was the last time I've been so maybe things have changed.:shrug:

Really? The guys that work at the range have always said Friday is the best day. I have always gone on the weekends.

+1. I go on Fridays 99% of the time. Saturdays are a definite no no, even seen a line on Sundays right at opening.

Edited by DavidD
Guest SpoonMan3
I found it very informative. All my life I've seen people move to Tennessee from northern states to escape all the hight taxes, high crime, expensive property, etc. After there here a short while, something inside them urges them to try and change Tennessee into exactly what they left. That's what I imagine he meant by the statement.

Before we married, a northern couple moved next door to my wife's family farm. These people had never seen a tobacco plant. I wasn't but a couple of weeks before they were out there telling my in-laws how to raise tobacco. This is but one example out of many.

Exactly

Are we honestly so sensitive that we cant use the word "yankee" on a TN gun website anymore?

Don't paint all with such a broad brush. I'm one of those that moved from up North to get away from snow, high taxes and a host of other issues. Those kind of people that attempt to change things also live here and were raised here. Without getting political, it's more of a mindset. I met a bunch of them when looking at homes around here.

I mind my own business and expect others to do the same. This is not in reference to your comments, rather people like you mentioned above.

Guest Tygarys
What stupid stuff do you do?:)

My last offense (4 or 5 years ago) at a local big-named range that doesn't deserve a mention, was sitting on the bench behind the lanes and loading extra mags while waiting my turn to shoot.

Was that one near some auto dealerships maybe?

I got yelled at when at the old Shelby county range for not folding the rifle case I had in half to prove that there was nothing in it. I had left it on the bench behind me while using the rifle.

What the heck are you smoking my friend? Was there in October, showed up around 1:00 and had no wait. May have been 5 others on the rifle range, few on the pistol. Now I must admit that was the last time I've been so maybe things have changed.:)

I always thought that Friday was the best keep secret about Stones river. Most people at work, etc. No wait and more relaxed atmosphere. In My own way I was trying to Hint to those that go on Fridays to keep it a secret. Wasn't in the sharing mood .:)

Don't paint all with such a broad brush. I'm one of those that moved from up North to get away from snow, high taxes and a host of other issues. Those kind of people that attempt to change things also live here and were raised here. Without getting political, it's more of a mindset. I met a bunch of them when looking at homes around here.

I mind my own business and expect others to do the same. This is not in reference to your comments, rather people like you mentioned above.

There are exceptions to every rule. I used to work with a guy from Michigan, and I consider him a very dear friend. The vast majority of northern immigrants I've encountered, however, fit my first post.

Do they let you shoot at silhouette targets at Stones River now? They used to be really crazy about that. Try and put up a silhouette and watch how many RSO's you attract!

Really??? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Just another stupid thing I've heard about the place. What was the reason for that?

No silhouettes allowed last time I was out there. Annoying, but it does make for a less threatening atmosphere. The ladies that I've taken shooting out there have commented that they liked it.

Stones River is quite restrictive, but it's an ideal setup for new shooters imho.

Guest 6.8 AR
Ditto do you have to qualify to shoot the 400 yard range?

I've not used the 400 yd range, yet, but I've never heard of any requirement like that at Southside. The only thing I've noticed is that when the 400 yd

range goes cold, they take the 100 yd range cold, but that's due to the layout of the two ranges.

There are exceptions to every rule.

Agreed. I see that every day.

I guess I like to think of myself as an American first. I think we have bigger issues as a country regarding our borders than what state people are from. Not picking on you but the North/South thing gets kind of old in my book.

Guest Eagle Eye

I was born and raised in Chicago and lived in the area for 48 years. When relocating, my family could have literally landed anywhere. We CHOSE Tennessee for many reasons; cost of living, family values, climate, beauty of the land, educational opportunities, etc. We are happy to be here; we live here, work here, send our son to school here, serve here.

I guess I've heard one too many times in my life the "you're not from around here, are you?" so that I'm a little sensitive to it all.

I'm the son of an immigrant who was proud to become an American. I'm a veteran and a strong supporter of the Constitution. I believe strongly in states' rights and our individual right to choose the state we want to live in. I came from a city where I couldn't legally buy or own an handgun. I appreciate the personal freedom and respect for the Constitution that Tennessee represents.

If I don't belong here, just say so. I'll sign off.

I always thought that Friday was the best keep secret about Stones river. Most people at work, etc. No wait and more relaxed atmosphere. In My own way I was trying to Hint to those that go on Fridays to keep it a secret. Wasn't in the sharing mood .:ugh:

Undertsood, sorry I let the cat out of the bag......

I pay my $5.50 tell them yes I've shot here in the past and no I don't need a target, check in with eye and ear protection on, ol' coot checks my unloaded weapons light/mirror, enter range hand them my tag at desk /take my tag & tacks to requested end spot after telling them I reload and collect my brass, far right against wire. Unload weapons when line is hot, open pistols/revolvers up to be inspected for when line goes cold. Take my 1 shoot n c target put it up and prepare for line to go hot, goes hot pick up weapon fire until times up and repeat till I run out of ammo or get tired of shooting bullseyes :cool: collect all my brass, pack up and leave. Shooting at SR for years. Great place to shoot. Jennys a woman ? :ugh:

Edited by SkunkSlayer