Obligatory Gun Rag thread

Guest Len

I started this thread back when TGO was brand new and it was TGO David & about 20 other guys. So I thought I'd ask again now that we are over 7000 members and still growing. (Wow!) So, what's the best gun rag out there? I suppose this is a highly subjective subject, but since I started the post, I will lay down a few suggested ground rules: 1) As little "rah rah" as is editorially possible in an advertising-driven publication. I hate it when every new gun is "the best ever." 2) Overwhelming focus on firearms and CLOSELY related issues. If it is 90% about hunting and 10% about guns/gear, I am not interested. 3) Good writing. I get American Rifleman and Guns & Ammo. Both have good & bad aspects in my mind. Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Model69A

American Rifleman. The "Armed Citizen" stories are always interesting and I really like the articles on older and "historical" firearms.

I was recently introduced to Handloader Magazine (Wolfe Publishing Company) And while I'm not a re-loader, I find it very interesting to read. Far more in-depth and insightful than your typical Guns & Ammo articles (though I like them too). I also get American Rifleman and my opinion is slowly (but surely) sliding down.

Edited by peejman
spelling
Guest Jamie

I gave up on Gun Rags last century. :rolleyes:

I still have 20 or 25 years worth of Guns & Ammo and Handguns magazine, boxed up around here somewhere though.

J.

Guest goomba

I get several:

america's 1st freedom (need to start getting American rifleman again)

SWAT magazine

Guns & Ammo

G&A Handgunner

American Handgunner

Guns Magazine

Law Officer

used to get American Cop & Police Magazine

I like Shooting Times better than most. I'd really rather read the opinions of you guys here, as you all aren't bought and paid for by gun manufacturers. Just normal, everyday guys with honest opinions about outta the box guns in real world situations.

I understand what some of you are saying about magazines being "so last century." (Especially since I teach mass communication at Vol State.) But, I guess I am old fashioned -I like sitting on the couch (or other places! :D) with a paper or magazine in my hands. I think paper will always be with us in some form.

Of course if Apple gets the iPad right and has a great magazine/newspaper reader application, then I might change my mind. (I plan on getting an iPad on day 1.)

Some mags new to me in this thread. Thanks everyone.

I too loved the "Armed Citizen" reports in American Rifleman.