Suppressor- 6.5mm

I am looking for a suppressor in 6.5mm (.264). The only place I have found that builds a can in this size is AWC Systems with their Thundertrap model. Thundertrap Suppressor : AWC Systems Technology

Are there any other manufacturers that make this particular caliber can?

Note: I prefer to have it built in this caliber rather than buying an oversized 6.8 or 7.62, or having a smaller can bored out.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will .3mm actually make that much difference?

Great question- I don't know. My understanding is you want no gap between the baffles and the projectile to get maximum effectiveness, i.e. suppression. So this is what I'm shooting for (no pun intended).

The volume and pressure of gas is what's important in a suppressor. If you are going to shoot 6.8 or 6.5Grendel, then most .223 suppressors will work fine. If you are looking at 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, or another cartridge based on .308 cases or larger, then get a suppressor rated for .308.

The best bet is to look at suppressor for similar cartridges (based on powder charge). Then call or write the manufacturers to see what they recommend for your application.

The volume and pressure of gas is what's important in a suppressor. If you are going to shoot 6.8 or 6.5Grendel, then most .223 suppressors will work fine. If you are looking at 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, or another cartridge based on .308 cases or larger, then get a suppressor rated for .308.

The best bet is to look at suppressor for similar cartridges (based on powder charge). Then call or write the manufacturers to see what they recommend for your application.

How do you safely push a .264 projectile through holes that are .224 in diameter?

How do you safely push a .264 projectile through holes that are .224 in diameter?

The holes in a 5.56 suppressor are larger than .224... I'd have to measure mine to determine just how much more, and it may not be enough to fire a 6.5 without having to bore it, but I think what was being referred to was the internal volume/size of the suppressor, not the hole size (which is changed easily enough)

The holes are not .224. My 5.56mm suppressor has a central passage that is actually .4" in diameter. I have shot 7.62x39 and .250 Savage through my suppressor without any issues.

You do not want the bore in a suppressor to be too tight. Bullets are typically yawing a bit as soon as they leave the barrel. If the bore is too small, then you risk baffle strikes which cause major damage and expensive repairs to your suppressor.

Its apparent that I am still learning the basics of this particular NFA item. My first assumption was well off the mark on the construction of a can. But this is cool, I'm glad to be taking in all this new info. No worries.

That Liberty can looks like it may have potential and a decent price. Does anyone have direct experience with this can?

Guest casca

Not so much with a particular can, but the ones they make in general - being a smaller manufacturer, they happily take on custom projects for customers. I particulary like their $250 "convert your sealed can to mono bafel" service. Really unheard of in the industry anymore at any reasonable price.

Have a look on youtube for many examples of their work, and John Titsworth over at silencerresearch.com has reviewed several of their cans.

I'm not saying to absolutely positively choose Liberty, but I believe a smaller manufacturer will do vastly more to earn your business, and Liberty would be a good trusted source for the work.

• 4 weeks later...

After several conversations with the guys at Liberty Suppressors, I decided to "pull the trigger". (yeah my humor sucks) Today I purchased their Freedom can chambered in 6.5mm. Freedom Rifle Suppressor by Liberty Suppressors They offered to custom bore and thread this can for no additional cost. I can't argue with the price.

And now the waiting game begins: wait for the assigned serial#, waiting for the can to be constructed, completing the NFA paperwork/trust, sending in my $200, and the final wait for my stamp. I hope to see it this fall.

• 7 months later...

After nearly seven months, start to finish, I finally have possession of my Liberty suppressor (chambered in 6.5mm). I picked this up Monday evening and gave it quick shot of camo paint to match the rest of the rifle. I'm hoping to break it in this Saturday out in Gallatin.

pics091.jpg

pics090.jpg

pics089.jpg

pics088.jpg

Now I just need an NVG sight, and an IR laser. :rolleyes:

Looks good. Details on the rifle?

My bad, I thought I had previously posted the details. So here goes:

- This started out as a Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel Overwatch upper receiver.

- I stripped everything off of the upper, installed a new 6.5 Grendel barrel (with a smaller gas block diameter), new Troy rail, and Adams Arms gas piston kit.

- The optic is a Leupold Mark IV 4.5x14x50mm LRT with illuminated retical, with a Larue one piece mount.

- The lower started out with a Spikes Tactical (stripped ). I added a DPMS LPK. I'm still trying to make up my mind on what trigger group to upgrade to.

- I added the Magpul PRS stock, MIAD grip with the extra firing pin and bolt carrier, and a mono pod.

- The can is the Freedom model from www.libertycans.net. This was originally designed to be a 7.62mm can, but they custom made mine in 6.5mm. I'm hoping the sound suppression is even more efficient since the only dimension that changed was the bullet channel.

It took over 1.5yrs to finish with the last 7 months waiting on my form 4 approval. The camo job on the rifle was a Hero Gear "custom (spray can)" and I have since tweaked it to cover the suppressor and some wear marks. Now if I can just get some decent weather and a free weekend, I will be rockin'.

• 3 weeks later...

What better way to spend Christmas Eve day than shooting? Using my reloaded 6.5 Grendel 120grain JHP Seirra Match Kings, I spent the morning getting the my scope dialed in for non-suppressed and suppressed shots, out to 200 (so far). I'm getting a solid setting for 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300. Today was spent working out to 200.

I tried to also use my alternate, 130gr JHP Berger hunting round, but beyond 100yards and my rifle grouped like shotgun. This will be a problem for another day.

Temp: 43F

Winds: From the rear, less than 5 MPH

Partly overcast skies

The first suppressed groups @200 were OK-

SuppressorPOIShift006.jpg

By the end of the day, I had gain the skills to make this a tack-driver. This was the final three suppressed shots I took today @200:

SuppressorPOIShift005.jpg

In the coming days I hope to move this out to 250 and 300.