Good Gunshops in Knoxville

Guest RGL01

ahhh CCA. Not much else can be said than what has already been mentioned by others. I will say though, that the past few visits there have been getting much better.

Tony(who to my surprise is not the owner) has been very helpful and friendly to me however there are still a few employees that are really rude. I'm not sure if its JWP or not because I don't know what he looks like(avatar ?) but there is one younger guy who really needs to work on his people skills.

On 2 separate occasions he has felt the need to basically tell me my Taurus is a POS. Are you kidding me? Even though it is a Taurus, I don't give a damn what your opinion is of it. You don't ever tell a paying customer that their gun is crap. I don't care if it's a High Point.

What an idiot to think he could say that to a customer and then expect them to continue to shop there.

JWP wishes he looked like his Avatar! :tinfoil: Seriously though I can say that I've had my good times and not so good times at CCA but you can really say that about any place you go. I have my favorite salespeople to talk to and my not so favorite. Same as everywhere else. I've taken the time to get to know a few of them and I can say they are good people. If you go into a situation looking for a bad experience, then you will probably have a bad experience. The good thing about retail is that the ones with bad customer service will eventually be weeded out (by JWP if he sees them doing it :P) and then you won't have to complain about them anymore. :tinfoil:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigNoise

So now it's manly to ask for customer service.... :P However, it is rather odd that out-of-towners are so harsh. All I know is I just wish that they would get their act together so I could give them MY business and support MY local small business owners.

I've been to CCA several times and am not defending or condemning them but I think the service in a lot of retail businesses in general and gun stores in particular suffers because of the clientele tying up clerks either window shopping of just BSing. The clerk is torn between getting away from a guy/girl that's just talking and that may or may not actually buy something and a person that's standing in line waiting for service.

Phone calls are another issue. You have the caller that is put on hold because the clerk has a live customer standing in front of him/her. Caller says they won't answer the phone or quote me so therefore their service is poor. Or do you answer the caller at the expense of the live customer standing at the counter.

Having said that I have, on two occasions, inquired at CCA about purchasing a particular handgun. Each time I needed to know about the different models and the cost difference between the models. Each time I had a good idea what the selling price was. Neither time did the salesperson consult a catalog and each time the price quoted seemed to be off the top of the salespersons head and each time it wasn't market price. The most recent time was last Wed morning (3-31) when I was quoted $700 for a handgun that is advertised locally for $436 (less on internet). I questioned the price and explained that there are two different models and the salesperson looked on the cash register computer screen and advised me that I correct and then quoted me $500 which is still $60 higher. I questioned the price a 3rd time without saying it's advertised for $436 and was assured the price quoted was correct. I'm still shopping.

I've been to CCA several times and am not defending or condemning them but I think the service in a lot of retail businesses in general and gun stores in particular suffers because of the clientele tying up clerks either window shopping of just BSing. The clerk is torn between getting away from a guy/girl that's just talking and that may or may not actually buy something and a person that's standing in line waiting for service.

Phone calls are another issue. You have the caller that is put on hold because the clerk has a live customer standing in front of him/her. Caller says they won't answer the phone or quote me so therefore their service is poor. Or do you answer the caller at the expense of the live customer standing at the counter.

Having said that I have, on two occasions, inquired at CCA about purchasing a particular handgun. Each time I needed to know about the different models and the cost difference between the models. Each time I had a good idea what the selling price was. Neither time did the salesperson consult a catalog and each time the price quoted seemed to be off the top of the salespersons head and each time it wasn't market price. The most recent time was last Wed morning (3-31) when I was quoted $700 for a handgun that is advertised locally for $436 (less on internet). I questioned the price and explained that there are two different models and the salesperson looked on the cash register computer screen and advised me that I correct and then quoted me $500 which is still $60 higher. I questioned the price a 3rd time without saying it's advertised for $436 and was assured the price quoted was correct. I'm still shopping.

That's still not a bad markup. They have to keep the lights on.

So now it's manly to ask for customer service.... :rolleyes: However, it is rather odd that out-of-towners are so harsh. All I know is I just wish that they would get their act together so I could give them MY business and support MY local small business owners.
I'm not sure it has so much to do with masculinity as it does with simply being an adult. I can't imagine ever standing anywhere for any length of time and waiting on help. If I want help, and someone is very obviously available to help me, I will ask for it. Having run a couple of different operations myself, I would also have no problem taking the sales person to task on the spot if the lack of attention were egregious enough, and I would not be shy about moving up the food chain if warranted. None of this is rocket surgery. The attitude of entitlement, passivity, and helplessness exhibited by many in this thread just makes me sad...

/rant

Thats odd, it's funny how there are so many negatives on here about CCA and they still require evidence to plead their case. Step up the customer service, plain and simple. I really like the selection and the staff but, it is hard to deny all the personal accounts plastered all over TGO related to poor customer service. It is a shame, with such a great selection and an awesome indoor range myself (and I'm sure others) would love to support such a great local business.

And most of those saying negative things are either full of it or have an agenda. It's really that simple. I am asking him to validate the time and date of his visit so I can validate his experience. If his account is correct I will fire the entire floor staff present at that time. No ****. I am one harsh mother****er and I don't play around.

I've had no problem getting service at CCA because I ACT LIKE A MAN AND ASK FOR IT. Just my $0.03...

That's true. We ask the customer "need any help?" when they come in. If they say, and the all say "No, I'm just looking" we follow that with "Well, just let us know if there is anything you would like to see and we'll be glad to help you."

ahhh CCA. Not much else can be said than what has already been mentioned by others. I will say though, that the past few visits there have been getting much better.

Tony(who to my surprise is not the owner) has been very helpful and friendly to me however there are still a few employees that are really rude. I'm not sure if its JWP or not because I don't know what he looks like(avatar ?) but there is one younger guy who really needs to work on his people skills.

On 2 separate occasions he has felt the need to basically tell me my Taurus is a POS. Are you kidding me? Even though it is a Taurus, I don't give a damn what your opinion is of it. You don't ever tell a paying customer that their gun is crap. I don't care if it's a High Point.

What an idiot to think he could say that to a customer and then expect them to continue to shop there.

First, a staff member that is rude to you might be someone else's best buddy. But, if you inform me that one of them is being a dick I will handle them. Like I said, I'm one harsh mother****er when it comes to my business. I am not in business for my own fun. I'm in it for what we can do for our customers.

Secondly, Taurus makes crappy guns. Period. Why do I say this? Because we've had more repairs on "NIB" models than any other popular make out there, well, except for Para.

JWP wishes he looked like his Avatar! :D Seriously though I can say that I've had my good times and not so good times at CCA but you can really say that about any place you go. I have my favorite salespeople to talk to and my not so favorite. Same as everywhere else. I've taken the time to get to know a few of them and I can say they are good people. If you go into a situation looking for a bad experience, then you will probably have a bad experience. The good thing about retail is that the ones with bad customer service will eventually be weeded out (by JWP if he sees them doing it :rolleyes:) and then you won't have to complain about them anymore. ;)

Well stated.

So now it's manly to ask for customer service.... :) However, it is rather odd that out-of-towners are so harsh. All I know is I just wish that they would get their act together so I could give them MY business and support MY local small business owners.

Then come in and support your local small business.

What model and make?

That's still not a bad markup. They have to keep the lights on.

Yep. But we can keep the lights on as long as Rush is on the air.

Secondly, Taurus makes crappy guns. Period. Why do I say this? Because we've had more repairs on "NIB" models than any other popular make out there, well, except for Para.

I think you are missing the point, I am a paying customer, I have spent a lot of money at your store. If you don't believe me, I'll pm you my full name and I'm sure you can look up on your computer.

When I'm in CCA inquiring about a gun, and I mention the fact that I have a Taurus, I don't think it's wise for you to make me feel like an idiot for purchasing one. I'm not saying Taurus is a great manufacturer but that is not the point.

Bottom line, don't make the customer feel stupid. That's the only point I was trying to get across. I'm not sure if it was you I talked to or another young guy but it really pissed me off that I'm in your business spending my money and was being told I had a sh*tty gun.

On another note, I would like to compliment CCA on the improvements they have made to the range recently, much nicer.

JWP The make was a Kahr and the model was a CW9. I've decided, in my mind, that I would like one for CC but felt the need to actually hold and fire it. I came there for to test fire the one in your rental inventory which I did. I realize the prices vary depending on finish but I wasn't asked about specifics.

I don't think it's wise for you to make me feel like an idiot for purchasing one.

I wholeheartedly agree.

On another note, I would like to compliment CCA on the improvements they have made to the range recently, much nicer.

Thanks! And, we have a lot more to come so stay tuned.

JWP The make was a Kahr and the model was a CW9. I've decided, in my mind, that I would like one for CC but felt the need to actually hold and fire it. I came there for to test fire the one in your rental inventory which I did. I realize the prices vary depending on finish but I wasn't asked about specifics.

I don't know whether they were being lazy or they're just incompetent. A quick glance at the inventory systems shows that we sell them for $449.00. The CW9 only comes one way.

Don't want to hijack this fine thread, but care to elaborate just a tad... I'm not a big fan of taurus but I do own a PT1911 that is a fabulous shooter and everyone I know that has one loves it. Finish sucks, thats why I had you guys send it out for meloniting. Other than that the fit is awesome, accuracy is phenomonal. I'd say I know close to a dozen people or so that have the same opinion about them (the pt1911). People I know that own several taurus revolvers love them as well. Don't know anybody that likes a taurus polymer guns though and their pretty ugly imo and have heard multiple statements from people about reliability of those models.

Don't want to hijack this fine thread,

not aimed at you but this entire thread has become a "hijack", pretty much it has turned from "Good Gunshops in Knoxville" to how much piss can be poured on CCA.

I have no doubt if a thread like this became aimed at some other shop(s) it would be locked down.

Guest Bluemax
not aimed at you but this entire thread has become a "hijack", pretty much it has turned from "Good Gunshops in Knoxville" to how much piss can be poured on CCA.

I have no doubt if a thread like this became aimed at some other shop(s) it would be locked down.

I have made it a point to stop in at CCA twice in the last week, both times I was greeted as I walked in the door and left to do my "shopping" which is the way I like it. Not sure what the problems are, although I don't know the owner; we have many mutual aquaintainces ( yea my spelling needs help get over it ) and they seem happy with the service they get. Give these guys a chance., with a little fine tuning they could be a great asset to the East Tn shooting community

Guest bkelm18
I have made it a point to stop in at CCA twice in the last week, both times I was greeted as I walked in the door and left to do my "shopping" which is the way I like it. Not sure what the problems are, although I don't know the owner; we have many mutual aquaintainces ( yea my spelling needs help get over it ) and they seem happy with the service they get. Give these guys a chance., with a little fine tuning they could be a great asset to the East Tn shooting community

The issue is many people have been giving them a chance for years and yet the same problems keep showing up. If these problems had been addressed when they first showed themselves, I have no doubt that people would be singing CCA's praises instead of maligning them for their lackluster customer service. Folks here at TGO by and large seem like a forgiving bunch. They wouldn't drag a business through the mud for no reason.

Guest BigNoise

JWP, I want you to know that I do support your business, and have done so on many occasions. And I also want you to know that you are one of the nicest gun shop owners around. And there are some awesome employees at your shop, but a few bad apples have made some bad impressions on a few of your patrons, I fully understand that. I hate that this thread has turned into what it has, but something needs to be done. So, instead of bashing JWP and his great business, lets offer him some constructive criticism. And let's do this so that we can continue to give him our business and he can continue to earn a living, plain and simple.

Guest BigNoise
I forgot to mention:

On Target Training Center - on Inskip behind Sugarbakers. Doug is a super nice guy, his in store selection is a little limited, but he has nice stuff. He also does transfers for $15 plus $10 for TICS. That's $25 TOTAL to transfer in a firearm! He's also super quick with communications and likes to work via email.

+1 for Doug. I took my HCP class from him and frequent his shop. He is a great guy that knows his stuff. Very cheap Glock work, plus he offers his HCP classes with a female instructor, (that's the only way I could get my fiancé to go!)

Yep. And people still ask me why we aren't more involved with TGO.

The issue is many people have been giving them a chance for years and yet the same problems keep showing up. If these problems had been addressed when they first showed themselves, I have no doubt that people would be singing CCA's praises instead of maligning them for their lackluster customer service. Folks here at TGO by and large seem like a forgiving bunch. They wouldn't drag a business through the mud for no reason.

Ok, I'll just post what I've been conveying in several PMs.

We hired a secret shopper service several months ago. They conducted 15 visits over a three month period. Out of those 15 visits only 2 were "less than satisfactory". Those 2 visits were "less than satisfactory" in regards to the amount of time it took for them to get a lane on which to shoot. That's something we could not do anything about. They gave the staff high marks for service and knowledge.

I find the bashing on this and other threads to be quite tiresome. There are many who have an agenda and others who are simply piling on with no real experiences. I am now taking the next step when someone claims a bad experience. I'm going to the video so I can see and hear what actually happened. I might even share.

i don't have a dog in this hunt, but I believe CCA used to be a authorized vendor, maybe the constant bashing ( not constructive criticism mind you) may be a big part of why they are not that now. I dunno.

I have been in that store two times, both times gave me nothing to complain about.

it just gets to be a dogpile after awhile, and my limited personal experience does not validate that stuff. I know a few guys ( who's opinions I respect) who deal with CCA, they are not bitching and moaning about it.

AND to get this back on topic. I have dealt with most of the Knoxville gunshops including CCA, Austin's and the one on Alcoa Hwy. Those are the only three I have been to that I would recommend.

Edited by Shima