Mayor dispels rumor about Belle Meade gun ban

They are meeting tomorrow on this.

Right-to-Carry Ban Proposed in Belle Meade!

Please Stand Up and Make Your Voices Heard!

On Wednesday, March 17, the Belle Meade Board of Commissioners will consider a proposed ordinance (Ordinance 2010-2) that would forbid any person with a handgun carry permit to carry within the city limits.

Not only does this legislation create a victim zone inside Belle Meade by disarming law-abiding citizens, it is also a clear violation of Tennessee’s preemption statutes.

The Board of Commissioners will meet at 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday at the Belle Meade City Hall located at 4705 Harding Road.

Please make plans to attend Wednesday’s hearing and voice your opposition to Ordinance 2010-2. If you are unable to attend, please contact the Mayor, Vice-Mayor, and Board of Commissioners TODAY and respectfully urge them to oppose this illegal and ill-conceived proposal. Contact information can be found below.

Telephone: 615-297-6041

Fax: 615-297-0255

Gray O. Thornburg, Mayor

gray.odwonline@comcast.net

James V. Hunt, Sr., Vice-Mayor

jhunt@citybellemeade.org

Tom Corcoran

tcorcoran@corcoranmaddox.com

Cathy Altenbern

caltenbern@citybellemeade.org

George W. Crook

ecrook@comcast.net

8PM EDIT: I just heard from the Belle Meade Chief of Police who informed me that this ordinance will not ban lawful carry of a handgun in Belle Meade. Rather, it updates the current ordinance that has been on the books for a long time. A valid handgun carry permit holder will still be able to lawfully carry in Belle Meade.

Edited by TNTitan
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06

Sounds like we need the AG to show up at their meeting and let him vote.

Why do these places even try to do this when they know that as soon as it passes and they make the first arrest or ticket it will be thrown out in court. Can they not find something a bit more useful to waste money on?

Guest redbarron06
Thanks to Lenny the idiot for causing a liberal knee-jerk reaction to a non-existent problem. If this passes, how many other places will follow suit.

It can pass all they want it to but it will be ruled void the very first time it goes to court, the question is how much will it cost some guy just gong to the mall or out to dinner that gets busted.

Guest 270win

This ordinance means nothing for someone with a state issued handgun carry permit. It does mean the guy with the AK pistol will be hassled to the ends of the state if he decides to go back there now that he has his permit suspended and openly carry an unloaded handgun like he is determined to do.

This ordinance means nothing for someone with a state issued handgun carry permit. It does mean the guy with the AK pistol will be hassled to the ends of the state if he decides to go back there now that he has his permit suspended and openly carry an unloaded handgun like he is determined to do.

How does it mean nothing for state issued permit holders? Did I miss something? Maybe I am mistaken.

bellemeadeordinance2010-2page1.jpg

bellemeadeordinance2010-2page2.jpg

Edited by TNTitan
Guest Jamie

Will this qualify as a new ordinance, or as an existing one that's been changed?

Because if it's the latter, it will be grandfathered in due to it being in place before 1986, I think.

J.

I don't think they can do this, but from NRA-ILA...

Right-to-Carry Ban Proposed in Belle Meade!

Please Stand Up and Make Your Voices Heard!

On Wednesday, March 17, the Belle Meade Board of Commissioners will consider a proposed ordinance (Ordinance 2010-2) that would forbid any person with a handgun carry permit to carry within the city limits.

Not only does this legislation create a victim zone inside Belle Meade by disarming law-abiding citizens, it is also a clear violation of Tennessee’s preemption statutes.

The Board of Commissioners will meet at 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday at the Belle Meade City Hall located at 4705 Harding Road.

Please make plans to attend Wednesday’s hearing and voice your opposition to Ordinance 2010-2. If you are unable to attend, please contact the Mayor, Vice-Mayor, and Board of Commissioners TODAY and respectfully urge them to oppose this illegal and ill-conceived proposal. Contact information can be found below.

Telephone: 615-297-6041

Fax: 615-297-0255

Gray O. Thornburg, Mayor

gray.odwonline@comcast.net

James V. Hunt, Sr., Vice-Mayor

jhunt@citybellemeade.org

Tom Corcoran

tcorcoran@corcoranmaddox.com

Cathy Altenbern

caltenbern@citybellemeade.org

George W. Crook

ecrook@comcast.net

Guest 270win

A new city ordinance can't prevent you from carrying on your permit, the way I understand the law. It would be unenforceable against a permit holder. They are probably trying to fix it up because KWIK is wanting to go to Belle Meade and walk through there with an UNLOADED and UNCONCEALED pistol in his hand...which could be legit under state law....but against Belle Meade's new town ordinance.

They definiately want to teach this guy a lesson and drive the point home to him hard. I would not be worried one bit if i was sane and normally carrying a handgun in Belle Meade or anywhere in this state and have a permit and following state law. If you act like a fool...you'll be treated like a fool generally...and KWIK has sure acted like a fool.

Am I missing something? All it is doing is changing the exception for the open handed Army/Navy pistol thing.

The whole Kwik thing could have been avoided if he had just carried on his now suspended permit.

Have just spent 2.5 hours watching the legislature and need to cook supper now, but if anyone else has the time...

Is Belle Meade a home rule city?

If so can home rule cities make such an ordnance that wouldn't be affected by preemption?

If the answer to either of the above is now.....I don't think this will fly.

I think maybe, they are zeroing in on a specific situation, and possibly a specific person of interest with this move. State preemption will no allow a HCP Holder to be denied their ability to carry by this change, as the permit itself is a defense against the charge of "intent to go armed".

I think maybe, they are zeroing in on a specific situation, and possibly a specific person of interest with this move. State preemption will no allow a HCP Holder to be denied their ability to carry by this change, as the permit itself is a defense against the charge of "intent to go armed".

Quick check in while stuff is simmering...

I think you're right in that those with a HCP will still be able to carry and those without won't be able to carry an Army/Navy pistol in their hand.

If I'm reading it correctly...the ordnance was already amended once in 1987, so post 1986. If so that would seem to answer the question about whether you can modify existing pre-1986 ordnances and them still be valid...assuming this ordnance has always been valid.